The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't like Dorsett, yeah he tries but he's awful. It is possible to have good players that can actually play hockey mentor the kids, pretty sure Hansen mentored Horvat all year. Not Dorsett who he rarely played with, and when they did they were awful.

I'd rather have a guy that can make a play with the puck teach the kids how to play. Dorsett should be the extra forward, that's the role those type of players play now in the NHL on contenders.

You should read this article then especially the 4th paragraph:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/368083-article-the-impact-of-derek-dorsett-on-the-canucks/

Would be surprised if either Virtanen or McCann get any game time for Utica this season.

I can't be the only one that see's Virtanen play atleast one season in the AHL before making the Canucks right? Feels like Jake would really benefit in the long-term from being developed properly and rounding out his game in Utica. We finally have a farm team with their biggest focus on developing NHL players for the Vancouver Canucks. Coaching staff down there are doing wonders with the youngsters, I can't wait to see how much Virtanen will develop under Travis Green.

I thought Virtanen has one more year of junior eligibility, which means that if he doesn't make the Canucks next season, then he has to go back to junior.

I thought Virtanen has one more year of junior eligibility, which means that if he doesn't make the Canucks next season, then he has to go back to junior.

truth, or he could be released to play overseas. Highly doubt that though

So how do you propose we just GET better players? This isn't a fantasy draft, every team has a player or two like Dorsett. The Ducks have Tim Jackman...Dorsett>Jackman The Flames have Brandon Bollig....Dorsett>Bollig The Lightning have Brendan Morrow...Dorsett>Morrow Minnesota has Matt Cooke.... Dorsett>Cooke etc etc etc The only thing worrisome is the money we are paying him but with the insurgence of young players and ELC's his contract shouldn't be a problem.

Bryan Boyle > any of those names

Bryan Bickell > any of those names

Andrew Shaw >

Matt Bleskey >

Eric Fehr >

Joel Ward >

Look all im saying is Dorsett should of been better in the playoffs. I hope he realises how bad he was and improves himself for next year.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Bryan Boyle > any of those names

Bryan Bickell > any of those names

Andrew Shaw >

Matt Bleskey >

Eric Fehr >

Joel Ward >

Look all im saying is Dorsett should of been better in the playoffs. I hope he realises how bad he was and improves himself for next year.

As was mentioned, he had a bad shoulder. If this is true, then I'm sure what we saw was his best effort. Based on all else we've seen from him there's no reason to think he would've mailed it in for the playoffs.

I laugh at people who think Virtanen will make the team straight out of camp. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the kid, and he's exactly what this team needs, but he still needs a ton of work on his game. Using his linemates better, being patient with the play in front of him, controlling his emotions, etc.

The only way I see him make the big club next year, is if he goes on a tear in pre-season and in his 9 games, scoring a point per game.

• Upvote 1

I laugh at people who think Virtanen will make the team straight out of camp. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the kid, and he's exactly what this team needs, but he still needs a ton of work on his game. Using his linemates better, being patient with the play in front of him, controlling his emotions, etc.

The only way I see him make the big club next year, is if he goes on a tear in pre-season and in his 9 games, scoring a point per game.

Yeah I agree. Although I'm happy to hear/see that Jake had made improvements in areas of his game that was lacking in the year before, but it obviously affected what he does best and for that I'd like to see Jake put it all together without one part of his game affecting the other.

Did u laugh pretty hard when horvat didn't make the team this season? That's a ridiculous statement man. Just as ridiculous as " Jake V is guaranteed to make the team next year!" Would be.

If the team feels he has nothing left to learn in junior they will try and give him every opportunity to make the Canucks. Just like horvat. And as mentioned Jake has size and hitting ability that might make him perfect for protected 4 th line minutes. Or he could need more time in junior but neither option is gaurenteed.

Either way I'll be happy. I'd like to see him

With a veteran role on team canada world juniors so if he does make the big squad I hope they loan him out.

• Upvote 1

As was mentioned, he had a bad shoulder. If this is true, then I'm sure what we saw was his best effort. Based on all else we've seen from him there's no reason to think he would've mailed it in for the playoffs.

No, no...guy played like a warrior all season for poops and giggles and then decided to just nap through the playoffs :rolleyes:

He's certainly a long shot as he'll have to beat out at least one of Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett, Kenins and likely Gaunce...maybe even Grenier etc. That's a pretty tall order, though not impossible.

He does have a tantalizing skill set that we could desperately use (speed, size/physicality, shot) but my guess is he's back to Jr. (unfortunately, as he'd be better served playing in Utica). Play at the WJC, likely go on a playoff run with the Hitmen...then *fingers crossed* get called up to one of the pro clubs who are hopefully making a long playoff run.

If we do move Higgins though...I could see him getting his 9 games if he forces the issue though. Send Kenins down to Utica for those games (and/or there's almost ALWAYS an injury).

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

Who, in your opinion, would Jake slot in for on the right side? Isn't Jensen , who sat last game, a right winger, I think he'd slot in first.

Really hard to say. I think the only way either McCann or Virtanen get in is really if there's injury.

With our depth down center, I can't see McCann getting a shot.

If there's injury on the right side, or if Green decides that he just needs to increase speed down the right, I think Virtanen may get a chance to show that he can play in the AHL.

Time will tell!

So how do you propose we just GET better players? This isn't a fantasy draft, every team has a player or two like Dorsett. The Ducks have Tim Jackman...Dorsett>Jackman The Flames have Brandon Bollig....Dorsett>Bollig The Lightning have Brendan Morrow...Dorsett>Morrow Minnesota has Matt Cooke.... Dorsett>Cooke etc etc etc The only thing worrisome is the money we are paying him but with the insurgence of young players and ELC's his contract shouldn't be a problem.

Acquire them. IMO we arlready have better options, we have 3 lines of grinders we don't need more. Scoring is and always was the main problem in the playoffs. There is no need for a fighter anymore in the NHL, team toughness isn't really an issue now, we have better penalty killers. Don't even get me started on his contract. We have Hansen, we don't need Dorsett. Easy cap dump for a team that needs to dump cap and add more skill.

Jackman doesn't play when games get close, I don't think he had a shift after the 2nd period last night. Tampa I consider a contender and Morrow is an obvious weak link. The rest of those players aren't on contenders. Look at all the legit contender over the last few years, you will see they either didn't have this type of player or have since gotten rid of them.

Really hard to say. I think the only way either McCann or Virtanen get in is really if there's injury.

With our depth down center, I can't see McCann getting a shot.

If there's injury on the right side, or if Green decides that he just needs to increase speed down the right, I think Virtanen may get a chance to show that he can play in the AHL.

Time will tell!

Would be awesome to see him get a shot for sure

5bd0cc6c3d1f6ed328e814e82373a941_bigger.Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 7m7 minutes ago
Just spoke with Travis Green, who says Jake Virtanen's first shot in practice today went through the net.

5bd0cc6c3d1f6ed328e814e82373a941_bigger.Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 6m6 minutes ago
Green says "there is a lot to be excited about" with both Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann. Wants to get a better look at both.

5bd0cc6c3d1f6ed328e814e82373a941_bigger.Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 6m6 minutes ago
Green on Virtanen: "Big, powerful kid. Great release and a strong skater. Looks like your prototypical power forward."

Green doesn’t rule out possibility McCann/Virtanen get into lineup, but doesn’t sound like it will be this week. Needs to see more of them.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 2

5bd0cc6c3d1f6ed328e814e82373a941_bigger.Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato 7m7 minutes ago

Just spoke with Travis Green, who says Jake Virtanen's first shot in practice today went through the net.

Green says "there is a lot to be excited about" with both Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann. Wants to get a better look at both.

Green on Virtanen: "Big, powerful kid. Great release and a strong skater. Looks like your prototypical power forward."

Green doesn’t rule out possibility McCann/Virtanen get into lineup, but doesn’t sound like it will be this week. Needs to see more of them.

Great to hear he may be warming to the idea. I think it's fair to give the guys that got them there first crack, but if they struggle I hope he isn't aftraid to make changes. They certainly have nothing like Virtanen on the team, but he needs to prove he can handle the moment and won't fly over the edge.

Green said Virtanen has a "great" shot, while McCann has a "good" shot. Seems like he wanted to separate both on the shot category, but said very good things about both. Looks excited about their future, wouldn't be that surprised after this interview if we see them both play at some time this season

Green said Virtanen has a "great" shot, while McCann has a "good" shot. Seems like he wanted to separate both on the shot category, but said very good things about both. Looks excited about their future, wouldn't be that surprised after this interview if we see them both play at some time this season

well virt shot it through the net on his first shot at practice today... a-la-weber... soo...

Edited by avelanch