The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Perhaps there's simply no need to remind everyone constantly, and obsessively for some of you in fact. Still hoping that one day you'll stop the bemoaning and move on.

Any time I've mentioned Nylander in this thread is when I'm defending someone else who spontaneously brings him up.

William Nylander will be a star for the Toronto Maple Leafs, they are the main attraction for MLSE, which is the most important sports entertainment business in the country. The Maple Leafs are undergoing a self-proclaimed rebuild and Nylander will be part of the new core. The Kessel trade facilitates that, so now the path is clear for Nylander to reach superstar status in Toronto.

The Canucks, meanwhile, have not self-proclaimed that they're in a rebuild, they're not dumping their star players, and are undergoing the process of replacing non-essential vets with young players.

Considering the positions of these teams, and the top-end offensive potential of Nylander and Virtanen, it seems that Nylander is on the correct team and so is Virtanen.

If we had Nylander, then somehow the Canucks would need to facilitate the trade of Daniel Sedin to make room for him. This is not happening, as the Sedins are still elite players in the NHL and do not currently need to be replaced.

When MLSE decided to pull the plug on the Maple Leaf's lineup, that enabled them to do whatever they wanted to the lineup.

At the end of the day these are two successful businesses that know what they're doing, and don't need the second-guesses from fans who don't know the ins and outs of the business.

We should wish both players well and hope that they both become premier players in the NHL, because that is what's best for the business of the NHL as a whole. The more star talent to watch, the more entertained the fans will be, regardless of wins or losses.

• Upvote 1

William Nylander will be a star for the Toronto Maple Leafs, they are the main attraction for MLSE, which is the most important sports entertainment business in the country. The Maple Leafs are undergoing a self-proclaimed rebuild and Nylander will be part of the new core. The Kessel trade facilitates that, so now the path is clear for Nylander to reach superstar status in Toronto.

The Canucks, meanwhile, have not self-proclaimed that they're in a rebuild, they're not dumping their star players, and are undergoing the process of replacing non-essential vets with young players.

Considering the positions of these teams, and the top-end offensive potential of Nylander and Virtanen, it seems that Nylander is on the correct team and so is Virtanen.

If we had Nylander, then somehow the Canucks would need to facilitate the trade of Daniel Sedin to make room for him. This is not happening, as the Sedins are still elite players in the NHL and do not currently need to be replaced.

When MLSE decided to pull the plug on the Maple Leaf's lineup, that enabled them to do whatever they wanted to the lineup.

At the end of the day these are two successful businesses that know what they're doing, and don't need the second-guesses from fans who don't know the ins and outs of the business.

We should wish both players well and hope that they both become premier players in the NHL, because that is what's best for the business of the NHL as a whole. The more star talent to watch, the more entertained the fans will be, regardless of wins or losses.

I would have never thought you complementing Nylander.

Shinkaruk? He has been healthy for a full season now. So has Virtanen. What year is this?

Further to the point above about William Nylander of the Toronto Maple Leafs, you can also note that Nikolaj Ehlers will have a clear path to NHL stardom thanks to the Evander Kane trade.

The more you look at the NHL as a collective business, the more clearly you can see how each and every move relates to one another.

• Upvote 1

Jiminy Crickets...BanTSN is making some sense here. What's the world coming to?

Nice post, Ban.

I would have never thought you complementing Nylander.

When a team trades a star like Kessel to make room, you have to notice. Win or lose, the Maple Leafs will have built an entertaining brand that focuses on William Nylander, and Mitch Marner. Both fast, undersized, dynamic players with loads of skill.

Shinkaruk? He has been healthy for a full season now. So has Virtanen. What year is this?

Further to the point above about William Nylander of the Toronto Maple Leafs, you can also note that Nikolaj Ehlers will have a clear path to NHL stardom thanks to the Evander Kane trade.

The more you look at the NHL as a collective business, the more clearly you can see how each and every move relates to one another.

It took awhile for him to get his strength back, and he kept building on that late in the season. Im just saying, evaluating them now, you can say they're 100% - you could not say that this time last season

Edit: great post on Nylander vs Virtanen btw. Jus saw that

Edited by NaveJoseph

When a team trades a star like Kessel to make room, you have to notice. Win or lose, the Maple Leafs will have built an entertaining brand that focuses on William Nylander, and Mitch Marner. Both fast, undersized, dynamic players with loads of skill.

Bet you my left nawt one is a bust haha

We are also talking about a guy with 4 NHL seasons under his belt at 24.

A lot of people bring up the age. But you have to consider how many years he's been in the league. He's a 4 year veteran still. He was the least mature out of our group, and didn't get better in the areas the coaches wanted. That, on top of back injury problems, I now see why they had to move him. Virtanen is younger, Benning thinks shows high character, and I think he wants to get these young players playing with the Sedins, even if it's for a year or 2.

Still, I think the return was still low. Oh well, onto bigger and better things, Jake Virtanen. If Jake Virtanen could get a season or 2 with the twins, it would do wonders for him. Imagine if much like how the Sedins developed burrows playmaking ability, they could develop Virtanen's. Virtanen already has elite speed, physicality, and shot. His puck skills and puck protection are excellent too. If the Sedins can develop his his passing ability and vision down low even further, he could be a true star in this league. In return, he gives the Sedins that speedy big bodied partner, who loves to hit, and will beat down anyone who touches them. Virtanen's shot is going to be critical considering Daniels declining sniping ability

I just want to say that I'm looking forward to Virtanen progressing as a player and that I want Virtanen to be the best player in his draft class as much as any of you. I have nothing but support for Virtanen no matter how much worse or better than he is than other players.

Virtanen is a Canuck and I'm a Canuck fan. So I'm a fan of Virtanen more than I am of any other non-Canuck players. I'm sure Gooseberries would agree with me as well even though he has shared the same or similar concerns as I have on this thread.

In the end you want to see every player succeed because it's good for the game, and we should be a fan of the game than we are of any team or player we root for.

Can't wait to see Virtanen rip it up at the Young Stars Tourney. Seems like a real good kid who has a shot of being a captain for the Hitmen next year.

• Upvote 2

I'll continue to show my displeasure with bennings moves. A young player should have the same opertunity to mature as he does to develop. I'll continue to believe that giving up on kassian is similar to when Boston gave up on Seguin (on a smaller scale obviously I don't think he's going to tally 80 next season lol)

Sorry for sidetracking

Why would you continue stating something you've said over and over and over again?

People can be displeased with what Benning did, but at some point, people transition from giving their opinion to whining.

Very true about those organizations clearing a path for those players to succeed. In the case of Virtanen, though, it seems a bit more complicated. All they've done is move out a somewhat similar player in Kassian who was stuck in a 3rd line role and whose offensive capacity management refused to develop. That seems to be the scenario by which Virtanen could stick with the club but it really does raise the question of how we get his offensive production back on track. Sending him back to Calgary doesn't seem like a good idea either. Are there any good options for this kid's development this year?

I honestly think if we send Virtanen back to Calgary this year, the Hitment would probably try to play Virtanen more often and really focus in on him since a lot of the older players are going to graduate leaving Virtanen as one of their more experienced and older players.

It would be nice to even see him contend for captaincy. I wouldn't be opposed to sending Jake back to juniors, however it does seem like he's physically strong enough to play in the NHL. What I worry about is whether he'll get injured easily from all the physical play.

• Upvote 2

Well in my defense, he came off a shoulder injury, got injured in prospects camp and stayed out of the 3v3 tournament.

can't question virtanen man. The guy can do no wrong. I've fought this battle and lost every time. Best just sit back and see what happens. Hopefully we don't get an opertunity to use our told you so cards.
  • Upvote 2