The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm loving how Jake interviews. After listening to years of "it's a process" and "real good", I am thrilled to listen to a genuine, honest and youthful voice. 

His high pick staus can't be evaluated on the stat sheet alone. There are many levels to why this coud be a shrewd pick for JB and Co. Not least of which, the ability for fans (like myself) to relate to his growing up watching this team. If he can continue to relay his experience through the media like the way he did last night ("pump my own tires", lol) it could help to draw back those fans who's interest has waned in the last few years.

I'm looking forward to many years of Jake and his refreshing personality! 

Can you guys remember anybody that had this type of levity with the media over the years, especially with the criticism regarding the World Junior fail?

20 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

it's not like jake doesn't have any hockey IQ at all. LOL. he scored 45 goals with Calgary in the WHL, because he's got some great hands, but also some decent hockey IQ. that alone is going to help him with his NHL career. if he can continue to grow with regards to his hockey IQ (debatable among some posters here whether that can be grown or not) - he can either be a good NHLer, to a great NHLer. 

For now, though. I was ecstatic when he scored the game tying goal. SO happy for him. Hope he keeps it up next game, and continues to build

Me too

3 hours ago, Jermo09 said:

Seems that this thread has quieted down.. Jake turns it around after the WJC and people aren't to interested. I hope jake keeps the good work up and ends the season off strong!

Pretty much says what drove 600+ pages here.  As long as Jake plays decently and shows progress, it'll keep "them" subdued.

45 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If someone hears something they don't want to hear they just freak out and start crying, that is what keeps me subdued. 

On 1/12/2016 at 10:04 AM, J.R. said:

Or.... Perhaps 5 games or 20 games etc in to the season/his NHL career as a 19 year old kid was a bit too early to damning him as a 'misused pick and career third liner at best' (paraphrasing, and not just you) while he adjusts to playing at this level...

Well because the thread is so quiet heres my honest opinion on Jake.

His intensity and tenacity is terrific. Holy hell the way this kid hits is insane. His speed and power are grerat. His shot is amazing and he has tremendous upside. Had his passing skills and hockey IQ been better he should have been taken first overall in the draft. He has the potential to be the future face of the franchise

The problem:

He's being rushed. When a player needs to develop hockey senses and a few finer skills in the game, you send that player down to your farm team. He'd probably rip the AHL up once he finds his groove. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's being handled properly. Him being in the NHL right now seems to force him into playing his one dimensional game repeatedly in order to be successful short term.This asks him not to develop the finer areas of the game including hockey IQ. Considering this, I don't see Jake reaching his maximum potential.

Therefore I project JV to become of a fringe first liner and not the franchise forward that we hope for. I hope that I'm wrong though. There are two ways this situation is playing out. Either Benning really sees something in this kid and he believes that he'd progress more in the NHL than in the AHL which is contrary to what we believe or JB wants to keep his job and is under pressure from Aquillini to get wins which is what everyone believes. Although all this is just speculation.

If anything, I hope JB is doing the right thing, he's an experienced scout and looks at the game and player progression differently than us hockey fans do.

Edited by Sandro17

4 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

Well because the thread is so quiet heres my honest opinion on Jake.

His intensity and tenacity is terrific. Holy hell the way this kid hits is insane. His speed and power are grerat. His shot is amazing and he has tremendous upside. Had his passing skills and hockey IQ been better he should have been taken first overall in the draft. He has the potential to be the future face of the franchise

The problem:

He's being rushed. When a player needs to develop hockey senses and a few finer skills in the game, you send that player down to your farm team. He'd probably rip the AHL up once he finds his groove. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's being handled properly. Him being in the NHL right now seems to force him into playing his one dimensional game repeatedly in order to be successful short term.This asks him not to develop the finer areas of the game including hockey IQ. Considering this, I don't see Jake reaching his maximum potential.

Therefore I project JV to become of a fringe first liner and not the franchise forward that we hope for. I hope that I'm wrong though. There are two ways this situation is playing out. Either Benning really sees something in this kid and he believes that he'd progress more in the NHL than in the AHL which is contrary to what we believe or JB wants to keep his job and is under pressure from Aquillini to get wins which is what everyone believes. Although all this is just speculation.

If anything, I hope JB is doing the right thing, he's an experienced scout and looks at the game and player progression differently than us hockey fans do.

He can't play in the AHL this season...