The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Don't know if you guys have watched him recently. I wouldn't say he's turned the corner totally, but he looks pretty good now.

His speed is there, his power is there, still needs to slow the game down a bit more in his head to be an effective scorer, but man... the kid has improved quite a bit in Utica.

If we can just get rid of Willie and his so called structure or system or whatever, I'd pay money to watch JV playing on a line with Goldy for 82 games next season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Yeah, much like Bo was in his draft, sitting around the #5-10 mark.  But he is, so far, the best forward of his class because the likes of McKinnon and Barkov are nowhere close to Horvat in the defensive side of things, though they are slightly ahead in the offensive categories.

Villardi IMO is going to be the same kind of player. I've seen a few windsor games this year and this kid IMO is going to be the best of his class and IMO, the safest pick of them all. 

He doesnt have any glaring deficiencies/red flags the others ahead of him does ( Hischier : size and grit, Patrick : injury history & durability, Rasmussen: 5on5 effectiveness, Necas: Size & grit, etc).

One thing that stands out about Villardi and one of the reasons i think he will be the best overall forward of his class, is because the kid is 17 and exceptionally good at the cycle game for his age. This shows above average intelligence.

I like the analysis. I'd be happy with him. Hopefully we pick top 4 because the 4 top players in the draft IMO are all centers- Patrick, hirschier, vilardi and mittelstadt. I think mittelstadt is better offensively than vilardi, but yes, of these 4 guys vilardi is most well rounded follows closely by Patrick and mittelstadt.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I guarantee you if he's available at 5, we won't be taking him.  This I am 100 percent sure.

Why ? What's not to like about a big young two way gritty canAdian center who can score with high hockey IQ? Seems like a bigger version of no Horvat.

3 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

You know what... I was talking the the game before against the Sens. Not the Demko shutout. Sorry.

The game before that he left the ice in the 2nd period and didn't return. Game before that he was the best player on the ice also. He's stepping his game up lately. This is a Virtanen hate thread I know but the kids playing super well last couple weeks

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Yeah, much like Bo was in his draft, sitting around the #5-10 mark.  But he is, so far, the best forward of his class because the likes of McKinnon and Barkov are nowhere close to Horvat in the defensive side of things, though they are slightly ahead in the offensive categories.

Villardi IMO is going to be the same kind of player. I've seen a few windsor games this year and this kid IMO is going to be the best of his class and IMO, the safest pick of them all. 

He doesnt have any glaring deficiencies/red flags the others ahead of him does ( Hischier : size and grit, Patrick : injury history & durability, Rasmussen: 5on5 effectiveness, Necas: Size & grit, etc).

One thing that stands out about Villardi and one of the reasons i think he will be the best overall forward of his class, is because the kid is 17 and exceptionally good at the cycle game for his age. This shows above average intelligence.

Horvat was actually ranked lower than 5-10 by most which made him quite a huge sleeper pick. However, I would defnitely be pleased if the Nucks grabbed Villardi with their pick (sleeper or not). Also, I would say that Barkov is easily a better forward than Horvat at this point offensively and defnsively, not to take anything away from Horvat as their is an argument to be made for him being the 2nd best forward in that draft which is incredible.

But anyways, this is Virtanen talk, so I should probably make a comment on his play. Very nice to see him getting a goal last night, and considering how all I've heard is that his game is improving...maybe this is the confidence booster he needs to start racking up the points?

18 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

He makes it look so easy.

JV will need playmakers around him but dude can finish. You can't teach that. Better linemates would help too. 

Just has to be consistent now. 

He's been consistently good for around 3 weeks now.  I hope they get into the post season so he can get some experience.

Full credit to management for keeping Jake in the A even with the mumps epedemic and everything.  

Seems like he has his nose to the grindstone - hope he keeps it up to finish the year and it carries over into the summer.

Predicting a Christmas call-up for Jake next year.

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Full credit to management for keeping Jake in the A even with the mumps epedemic and everything.  

Seems like he has his nose to the grindstone - hope he keeps it up to finish the year and it carries over into the summer.

Predicting a Christmas call-up for Jake next year.

I agree about resisting the temptation.  The best bet is to let him play out the year, hopefully get some post season play in, work the right way in the off season and come to camp ready to compete.  After that let the chips fall where they may.  If he can't nail down a top 6 spot in camp, let him to go to Utica who should finally have an influx of drafted talent to play with.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree about resisting the temptation.  The best bet is to let him play out the year, hopefully get some post season play in, work the right way in the off season and come to camp ready to compete.  After that let the chips fall where they may.  If he can't nail down a top 6 spot in camp, let him to go to Utica who should finally have an influx of drafted talent to play with.

Great point about Utica having the depth for him to play with next year - I'd love it if Jake makes the Canucks clean out of camp but he'll have some line mates to put up numbers on the farm if not.

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Great point about Utica having the depth for him to play with next year - I'd love it if Jake makes the Canucks clean out of camp but he'll have some line mates to put up numbers on the farm if not.

I've always looked at Jake as part of the next wave coming in.  They just needed a place to park him last season to get him out of Calgary and in control of his development.  I say keep all those guys in Utica next season.......Virt, Cassels, Brisebois, Boeser, Gaudette, Zhukenov, Demko, McEneny, Garteig, Dahlen and any college players they sign and let them develop some chemistry on and off the ice.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've always looked at Jake as part of the next wave coming in.  They just needed a place to park him last season to get him out of Calgary and in control of his development.  I say keep all those guys in Utica next season.......Virt, Cassels, Brisebois, Boeser, Gaudette, Zhukenov, Demko, McEneny, Garteig, Dahlen and any college players they sign and let them develop some chemistry on and off the ice.

Agreed, & I'm bullish on his outlook. Just wonder if he may have greater impact(long-term), if eventually placed on his apparent fav, LW?