The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, newgm said:

Does anyone think that the Edmonton Oilers would dump Conner McDavid if he was accused like Jake?

They'd be the screaming due process and rightfully so, but it does highlight the double standards between the haves and have nots. I'd be curious to see how this was handled if Jake had scored 40 goals and 100 points the previous season.

I think they would have suspended him pending the outcome. Maybe not buy him out, in part because if he was found guilty they could just cancel that massive deal.

Jake simply wasn't worth the headache of keeping around. He blew through so many chances prior to this that a buyout was an easy option. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, 4petesake said:

Sorry but that ‘what if’ misses the mark. Would the Oilers dump CM under the same circumstances? Of course not. CM would be entitled to due process just like JV and everyone else. But here’s the rub - CM has no history of showing up fat, lazy and disinterested over a prolonged period of time. Jake didn’t train or dedicate himself to to being a pro and he just wasn’t worth the drama and bad press for the team to keep him around. The thing is he didn’t score 40 goals and 100 points the previous season, although interestingly enough he did score 45 goals and 100 pts, over his 6 seasons with the team. That doesn’t buy a guy much extra rope.

Like any employee anywhere if you are more trouble than you’re worth eventually you’re gone.
That said, I wish him well if he ever decides to apply himself.

The Oilers signed CM after he was convicted of vehicular homicide............

Oh, you're not talking about Craig MacTavish......:ph34r:

• Vintage 1

Irregardless of this whole Depp 2.0 I never really saw much improvement in Jake over his last 2 seasons here. When he stopped hitting I kinda thought it was the end like Kenin's that he couldn't play his game anymore. This is a spot I'm hoping Josh Boy can fill. Big boss net front presence. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:52 AM, Toyotasfan said:

Jake should be looking for a PTO.

i mean if he actually worked hard  he could probably crack a 4th line role. Maybe not the Canucks , that ship has sailed.

Jake was blessed with the physicality and skill set to become an NHL player.  Over the years, he has taken his good

fortune(s) for granted by ignoring the obvious professional guidelines of working hard at your craft and constantly

improving your game.

Imo, Jake was heading in the direction of 'NHL players having to find contracts in Europe'.  Unfortunately for

Virtanen, the accusations and trial just moved his fate along much quicker.  Maybe he can turn this story

around, but it will take a tremendous amount of work and discipline on his part.  I guess we'll see if he has

it in him.

• 1 month later...

I know hitting the gym is a drag. But If someone paid me $875,000 a year, I'd be in the gym and on the ice as much as I could, and be the best shape I could.

It's so sad, that a player like Rick Rypien would have killed to have a frame like Jake's. Injuries are one thing. But to just seem to not try. I know some athlete's don't really love the sport. Maybe that's Jake's issue. He really doesn't love the game, he's just good at it.

• Cheers 1

This, from CanucksArmy .....

But there are a few outstanding players of note the Oilers will need to make decisions on: Jake Virtanen and Jason Demers.

Virtanen came into camp shrouded in controversy and seemed to be motivated to turn the page on a checkered past — on and off the ice — and return to the NHL a new player. He wanted to prove his ability as a power forward as someone who once looked like he could become the premier player at the position.

Instead, Virtanen looks more destined for a second-tier pro league in Europe than he does NHL ice.

It’s not for lack of chances, either.

Last night, he drew in for his third game of the preseason playing 15:29 in all situations that included 3:11 on the powerplay. He registered just one shot on goal, and couldn’t help break up the Flames’ cycle on their third goal of the game. Even while getting the second most powerplay time of any forward in that game, I can’t recall one positive thing he did on the ice. This isn't new either.

Across his three games, Virtanen has played 12:15 on the powerplay generating two shots on goal and one scoring chance. He’s spent zero time on the penalty kill and in his 30:06 of even-strength time, he’s taken one shot on goal and laid only three hits. At 5×5, the Oilers have controlled 40 percent of the shot attempts, 50 percent of the goals scored (1-1), 42.95 percent of the expected goal share and just 41.67 percent of the scoring chances. Virtanen has an even PDO of 100, suggesting what you see is what you get.

Nothing about what he’s brought to the table shows me that A), he’s better than any of the other numerous players vying for bottom-six minutes, or B) that he’s any different of a player on the ice now than when he was with the Vancouver Canucks.

With a professional career in the NHL on the line, Virtanen looks none-too-interested in separating himself from what’s a tight pack in Edmonton. I don’t see him earning a contract in Edmonton.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

This, from CanucksArmy .....

But there are a few outstanding players of note the Oilers will need to make decisions on: Jake Virtanen and Jason Demers.

Virtanen came into camp shrouded in controversy and seemed to be motivated to turn the page on a checkered past — on and off the ice — and return to the NHL a new player. He wanted to prove his ability as a power forward as someone who once looked like he could become the premier player at the position.

Instead, Virtanen looks more destined for a second-tier pro league in Europe than he does NHL ice.

It’s not for lack of chances, either.

Last night, he drew in for his third game of the preseason playing 15:29 in all situations that included 3:11 on the powerplay. He registered just one shot on goal, and couldn’t help break up the Flames’ cycle on their third goal of the game. Even while getting the second most powerplay time of any forward in that game, I can’t recall one positive thing he did on the ice. This isn't new either.

Across his three games, Virtanen has played 12:15 on the powerplay generating two shots on goal and one scoring chance. He’s spent zero time on the penalty kill and in his 30:06 of even-strength time, he’s taken one shot on goal and laid only three hits. At 5×5, the Oilers have controlled 40 percent of the shot attempts, 50 percent of the goals scored (1-1), 42.95 percent of the expected goal share and just 41.67 percent of the scoring chances. Virtanen has an even PDO of 100, suggesting what you see is what you get.

Nothing about what he’s brought to the table shows me that A), he’s better than any of the other numerous players vying for bottom-six minutes, or B) that he’s any different of a player on the ice now than when he was with the Vancouver Canucks.

With a professional career in the NHL on the line, Virtanen looks none-too-interested in separating himself from what’s a tight pack in Edmonton. I don’t see him earning a contract in Edmonton.

Bit of a shame. Maybe he could be a bottom six AHL guy, but he'd probably make more playing in Europe.

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

why is it a shame? he's had multiple chances to make a career happen before this latest debacle. 

I just like to see players succeed and it would've been nice to see Jake's career and life turned around. Seems like he still hasn't figured it out, at least from a hockey perspective.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I just like to see players succeed and it would've been nice to see Jake's career and life turned around. Seems like he still hasn't figured it out, at least from a hockey perspective.

After the 3rd or 4th attempt I don't care anymore. He doesn't seem to want it, so why should I want it for him?

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I know hitting the gym is a drag. But If someone paid me $875,000 a year, I'd be in the gym and on the ice as much as I could, and be the best shape I could.

It's so sad, that a player like Rick Rypien would have killed to have a frame like Jake's. Injuries are one thing. But to just seem to not try. I know some athlete's don't really love the sport. Maybe that's Jake's issue. He really doesn't love the game, he's just good at it.

I think the only time that was true was when he was physically bigger and stronger as a teenager and could run amok, now that others have grown, trained to be stronger and quicker he didn't seem interested in putting in the work (that came easy) when he was bigger and stronger than most as a teenager

This ordeal he went through and playing away in Russia did not seem to waken him or train for his opportunity in Edmonton,

The work ethic and desire is not his make up

He failed in the WJC with McDavid and appears to be on his 2nd chance as well

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

After the 3rd or 4th attempt I don't care anymore. He doesn't seem to want it, so why should I want it for him?

I'm always rooting for someone to turn their life around and become a better person. That said, if he doesn't want it, he won't get it, nor does he deserve it. The change has to happen internally before any substantial external change will happen.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/19/2022 at 5:39 PM, Googlie said:

I think I've found the answer to why Jake struggles with the game of hockey in the NHL. 

Just look at those eyes. HIs left eye is looking straight ahead, whilst his right eye is looking

over to the left.  How can he possibly keep track of the puck while following it from 2 different

angles?:shock::rolleyes: 

Edited by higgyfan

31 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think I've found the answer to why Jake struggles with the game of hockey in the NHL. 

Just look at those eyes. HIs left eye is looking straight ahead, whilst his right eye is looking

over to the left.  How can he possibly keep track of the puck while following it from 2 different

angles?:shock::rolleyes: 

C6E2437E-82DF-4A51-8E0D-E6EF4C6788BE.gif

• Haha 1