The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Kind of reminds me of a young Hansen at the moment: great speed and forecheck, creates turnovers, but wasn't able to bury the chances that he got. Hansen eventually figured out how to finish a few plays and ended up a near 40 point player. I think Jake has more offensive potential than Hansen though. 

He reminds me of Hansen too, but let's not forget (as another poster reminded me) that Hansen was also an elite shutdown man. If Jake adds that to his game, we have an elite middle six forward on our hands.

• Upvote 1

The one big wish for JV is that they stop the experiment of trying to make him a right wing.  He is a natural left winger and far more dangerous/effective coming from the off-side and he even gets more hits on that side.   Even his page on CDC shows 'RW' which isn't right for the kid.   

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The one big wish for JV is that they stop the experiment of trying to make him a right wing.  He is a natural left winger and far more dangerous/effective coming from the off-side and he even gets more hits on that side.   Even his page on CDC shows 'RW' which isn't right for the kid.   

I am hoping he's been used on the RW to help with the defensive side of things, because you're right.  We have a stockpile of natural LWs though, which complicates things.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I am hoping he's been used on the RW to help with the defensive side of things, because you're right.  We have a stockpile of natural LWs though, which complicates things.

There isn't a single LW in the Canucks fold (NHL or prospect) that has Virtanen's speed or ability to disrupt the other team trying to break out of their own zone.   In my mind, he is a top six guy and needs to be on LW.  

• Upvote 1

Jake, Listen to your Dad, He is wise

Virtanen: “I had a couple of thoughts last year, I talked to my dad pretty much every day. He told me Hank and Danny (Sedin) went through a lot of stuff when they first came in. They battled through it."

IMHO, If Jake improves as much in the 1st half of next season as he did in the 2nd half of this season, It will be a big plus

His speed has improved immensly, now his puck handling has to catch up

Edited by Mackcanuck

On 4/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, dpn1 said:

It confuses me why people are pushing so much to sign Kane.  With his track record, I wouldn't want him anywhere near our young players who need good mentors.

I once thought that signing Kane over the summer was a given and that he was just going to be here next year.

Not so sure now, they may be looking at just moving with more depth signings and maybe some really short term, 1 or 2 year deals with guys who can bolster leadership in the room in transition.

Will be an interesting summer.

Just because we have this cap space, doesn't necessarily mean that we "should" spend it, we have guys coming up who will need a new bigger contract in a year or two.

• Upvote 2

On 4/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Here we are.  Long McDoobie shift or not, he was still skating hard and had a head start but once he gathered the puck Jake caught up and pulled away:

jv18-race.gif?w=572&h=322

Totally loved this and was a little surprised by it. Thought Virtanen was maybe a quarter stride behind McDavid in the NHL, but this was really telling. Pulled past and away from him in a straight line race from the Canuck blueline in. Basically, 5 or 6 strides and he just blew past and away from him.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I once thought that signing Kane over the summer was a given and that he was just going to be here next year.

Not so sure now, they may be looking at just moving with more depth signings and maybe some really short term, 1 or 2 year deals with guys who can bolster leadership in the room in transition.

Will be an interesting summer.

Just because we have this cap space, doesn't necessarily mean that we "should" spend it, we have guys coming up who will need a new bigger contract in a year or two.

Exactly. We're going to be a good team in a few years. No sense on possibly ending up with aother Erickson situation.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Totally loved this and was a little surprised by it. Thought Virtanen was maybe a quarter stride behind McDavid in the NHL, but this was really telling. Pulled past and away from him in a straight line race from the Canuck blueline in. Basically, 5 or 6 strides and he just blew past and away from him.

Jake's speed and size is partly why he is great on the back pressure.  No player can out pace him, so Jake turns a lot of pucks over.  Plus, if the player tries to make the red line, Jake will squish him against the wall.  Love Jake's speed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake's speed and size is partly why he is great on the back pressure.  No player can out pace him, so Jake turns a lot of pucks over.  Plus, if the player tries to make the red line, Jake will squish him against the wall.  Love Jake's speed.

His ability to catch guys on the back check is awesome. I think he's surprised a number of guys with how fast he is. I believe this is what Benning was looking at when he drafted him and I really believe he will be worth the wait as he develops into a true NHL power forward who can drive to the net.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yep. His hands now have to catch up to his feet. Reminds me a lot of Hansen, but with Jake, he's already better than Hansen was at the same age. Virtanen's going to be the better player, assuming of course, he continues to improve and grow his game. I think too many people make up a false narrative with his respect to his hockey IQ. He won't be a McDavid type of player, of course, but his hockey IQ, I don't think is as bad as some make it out to be. It's one of those things where, a narrative has started, and has stuck. Much like the Sedin narrative was that they were softies, and they were weak when they were anything but that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

His ability to catch guys on the back check is awesome. I think he's surprised a number of guys with how fast he is. I believe this is what Benning was looking at when he drafted him and I really believe he will be worth the wait as he develops into a true NHL power forward who can drive to the net.

and hopefully pot 50 goals...errr, i mean, 20 goals... :P 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

and hopefully pot 50 goals...errr, i mean, 20 goals... :P 

With his ability to break up the other teams play from behind in the neutral zone, I'd be pretty good if he develops into a perennial 20 goal a year guy. 

He needs to take some lessons from Brock on accuracy, but if we can partner him with someone good at following up and picking up rebounds, he's got the potential to create a LOT of odd man rushes.

35 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With his ability to break up the other teams play from behind in the neutral zone, I'd be pretty good if he develops into a perennial 20 goal a year guy. 

He needs to take some lessons from Brock on accuracy, but if we can partner him with someone good at following up and picking up rebounds, he's got the potential to create a LOT of odd man rushes.

yep. i agree. maybe Brock and he should spend the summer together to train. Brock could learn how to explode better off of his skates, and Jake can learn a thing or two about shooting accuracy from Brock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

yep. i agree. maybe Brock and he should spend the summer together to train. Brock could learn how to explode better off of his skates, and Jake can learn a thing or two about shooting accuracy from Brock. 

Maybe Brock can get a few pointers on how to throw a hit on a bigger player as well! :)