The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Why does the Virtanen thread always turn into a $&!# show? He's doing what everyone wanted him to, he's DEVELOPING and showing PROGRESSION. He is showing he can be a player that can be relied on in the offensive and defensive zone, throws a hard hit or 3 every game, and pots a goal every once in a while. So far this year he is enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Everybody chill and just watch this he-man develop, and hopefully one day he proves he can be a top 6 pwf.

• Upvote 2

Jake has taken another step in his development, already at 10 goals before Christmas. His play-making has improved, he's seeing the ice a bit better and making smarter passes. Now he's showing he can be relied upon late in a game, scoring the game winner with under 2 minutes left was great. It's taken some time, but Jake is turning into a good power forward. Still not sure he should've been taken at #6, but he now looks like a first rounder, and he's getting better. I'm thinking, going forward, Jake could produce 25+ goals a season.

Edited by NUCKER67

12 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Why does the Virtanen thread always turn into a $&!# show? He's doing what everyone wanted him to, he's DEVELOPING and showing PROGRESSION. He is showing he can be a player that can be relied on in the offensive and defensive zone, throws a hard hit or 3 every game, and pots a goal every once in a while. So far this year he is enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Everybody chill and just watch this he-man develop, and hopefully one day he proves he can be a top 6 pwf.

Because those who are saying 'relax, he is developing well, lets watch the show instead of hyping the kid' are offending the 'yay, we love the home-town kid, how dare you say he isn't a key, integral,vital, irreplacable part of the Canucks'. 

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

You sure its the way he dresses and not his "boeser-like' 'flow' hair ?

Fop is a term from 15th and 16th century.  It refers to a man who dresses in a fancy flowery fashion and acts in a feminine manor.  ::D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Don't care for on-pace stats. They mean nothing, outside of fantasy league crap. 

Getting critical shut-down minutes without being on the PK is a bit of a joke, really. Also, less than half a season for a 4th year guy, is hardly a 'now' stat. For all we know, this is Jake 'streaking' and he may slow down and score 10 whole points for rest of the year. I prefer to wait and see and if Jake can show he is bringing his current form to the table for a season and half or two, i will be glad to acknowledge him as a key member. For now, the sample is just too small and not normalized. 

so a glass half empty feller.... 

OK so then tied in goals with guys like Nugent-Hopkins. No getting end of game minutes is not a joke. 

• Upvote 2

I have been a fan of the shotgun thing but I have to admit last night I had no beer but guzzled my rum and eggnog in about 3 seconds.  My Baptist conscience wanted to make sure I wasn't deceiving anyone. :bigblush:  I'll make sure I get more beer today.  ::D

Edited by dpn1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Because those who are saying 'relax, he is developing well, lets watch the show instead of hyping the kid' are offending the 'yay, we love the home-town kid, how dare you say he isn't a key, integral,vital, irreplacable part of the Canucks'. 

But you’re not just saying “relax let’s watch him develop”. That part of your take is defendable.

The part that isn’t is the part that says if we could only choose 3 of Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson and Virtanen - ‘paucity of data’ forces you to choose Beagle and Roussel and then debate between Virtanen and Eriksson

Edited by nzan
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I have been a fan of the shotgun thing but I have to admit last night I had no beer but guzzled my rum and eggnog in about 3 seconds.  My Baptist conscience wanted to make sure I wasn't deceiving anyone. :bigblush:  I'll make sure I get more beer today.  ::D

I had just bought some fernie brewing co. snowblind IPA and boy was it not pleasant trying to shotgun. Great tasting beer though

46 minutes ago, nzan said:

But you’re not just saying “relax let’s watch him develop”. That part of your take is defendable.

The part that isn’t is the part that says if we could only choose 3 of Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson and Virtanen - ‘paucity of data’ forces you to choose Beagle and Roussel and then debate between Virtanen and Eriksson

Um yea. I still favor Beagle + Roussell over Virtanen based on raw performance only. They are more vital to the team as of now. If Virtanen keeps developing, he will supplant them. But that day isn't here yet.

• Haha 3
  • Wat 2

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake has taken another step in his development, already at 10 goals before Christmas. His play-making has improved, he's seeing the ice a bit better and making smarter passes. Now he's showing he can be relied upon late in a game, scoring the game winner with under 2 minutes left was great. It's taken some time, but Jake is turning into a good power forward. Still not sure he should've been taken at #6, but he now looks like a first rounder, and he's getting better. I'm thinking, going forward, Jake could produce 25+ goals a season.

Jake creates space through the neutral zone as d-men are forced to drop back faster as he has the speed to blow by them. That helps his game but also helps his line mates. The other aspect of his game is his ozone puck possession ability.  Not only is he retrieving the puck but once he has it opposing players cannot get it away from him. 

Jake could easily get 25 goals this year which would be great but I expect more from him after this season. You can see how he is reading plays now which he was not last year. While he will get his share of goals I expect Jake will really start adding the assists. His pass over to Horvat in Nashville(?) was a beaut.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Jake is becoming the player I hoped he could be. His progression may seem to slow for some of the posters on CDC but he is exactly the type of hard to play against power forward that every team covets when they are in the playoff hunt. Acquiring or drafting another power forward with similar attributes like Jake would speed up the rebuild immensely  IMO.

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

Um yea. I still favor Beagle + Roussell over Virtanen based on raw performance only. They are more vital to the team as of now. If Virtanen keeps developing, he will supplant them. But that day isn't here yet.

Lol, let me guess, you cringe every time jake scores as it won’t fit your little narrative which you’ve probably been clinging to since the day he was drafted because you were an ”ehlers guy”?

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Don't care for on-pace stats. They mean nothing, outside of fantasy league crap. 

Getting critical shut-down minutes without being on the PK is a bit of a joke, really. Also, less than half a season for a 4th year guy, is hardly a 'now' stat. For all we know, this is Jake 'streaking' and he may slow down and score 10 whole points for rest of the year. I prefer to wait and see and if Jake can show he is bringing his current form to the table for a season and half or two, i will be glad to acknowledge him as a key member. For now, the sample is just too small and not normalized. 

Wowza.  You sure have some in depth analysis and a very strong opinion that Jake may or may not ever get better.

What NHL team are you a scout for?   Right......lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

1. Past is definitely more important than future, since past is proven, future is an unknown. Same reason why people hire for experience over non-experience.

2. Virtanen outscoring them for less than half a season is not relevant to me, since i consider it 'paucity of data'. I don't really care if he outscores them, so long as his performance is in the same ball-park, consistently for a season and half or two, i will be glad to tout him. The sample needs to be much,much larger than 40% of a single season for any conclusions to be driven that cannot just be overriden by 'hot streak/luck/unlucky' arguments. 

Stopped reading the drivel.

Doesn't matter if he outscores them.......Hahaha.  I have been wrong for decades. I thought hockey had to do with scoring.  Thanks for the clarification stan.