The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Surely, surely the master scouting guru would have picked this up in the scouting combine. This kids second choice of careers is not as a physicist   All those meetings, the in depth reviews with past coaches and teachers etc etc apparently failed to recognize his IQ. JB was all over this kid as Vcr next gift to hockey

(90) Canucks draft meeting: Jake Virtanen - All Access - YouTube

That meeting makes him sound like an Evander Kane type player. We got all the hassle of a Kane-like player... but not the production

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Surely, surely the master scouting guru would have picked this up in the scouting combine. This kids second choice of careers is not as a physicist   All those meetings, the in depth reviews with past coaches and teachers etc etc apparently failed to recognize his IQ. JB was all over this kid as Vcr next gift to hockey

How wrong they were. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is it IQ? I mean look at Ferland, no one is mistaking him for a rocket surgeon, but the guy is all heart and does/did what needed doing. How do you test for that with 17 year old kids? 

When the league lets you take runs at players without calling infractions (like Ferland did against us in the postseason), you can have an IQ of below 50 and still be quite effective.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think you have brought up an interesting take and one that seems to be overlooked. If you just go by IQ; it is just a measure of overall intelligence and does not delve into specific areas that are below average or above average. Not sure you can properly evaluate general IQ to the ability to process or excel in certain areas. A good example would be an accountant trying to figure out what is wrong with the motor in his vehicle if he has little to no mechanical aptitude or a mechanic trying to figure out a complex accounting procedure when he was not very good at math but exceptional when working with his hands in a mechanical setting.

Jake is not the first player taken in the 1st round to not pan out nor will he be the last. Drafting players is just an educated crap shoot and no pick is guaranteed to be a home run. 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

When the league lets you take runs at players without calling infractions (like Ferland did against us in the postseason), you can have an IQ of below 50 and still be quite effective.

what's really odd to me about Jake was his unwillingness to drive the net. He did it in junior, so why not in the NHL? If I could answer that I'd be a scout. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what's really odd to me about Jake was his unwillingness to drive the net. He did it in junior, so why not in the NHL? If I could answer that I'd be a scout. 

Sad to say but that was probably a major selling point in him being picked 6th overall in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Can't blame Ron Delorme even though this is the geographical area under his jurisdiction.  He was obviously in Sweden as he was the scout responsible for finding EP.:P

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Pretty sure I heard this was an Aqualini pick lol

Who knows whats true and whats not these days...

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Yeah okay, we don't have any of those.

I wonder who would be the smartest Canucks player ever? Larionov? there's a big tie at the bottom for dumb dumb. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder who would be the smartest Canucks player ever? Larionov? there's a big tie at the bottom for dumb dumb. 

Larionov might be a pretty good choice. We've had Harvard graduates like Biega and Princeton graduates like Tanner Glass so you might have to throw players like that into the mix too. Only talking off-ice here.............

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Dr. Randy Gregg

Several lawyers like Pat Quinn.

College players like Brock

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jimmy, I live in Calgary and probably saw Jake play about 20 games or so with the Hitmen and I am not sure I would agree with this sentiment. Jake would quite often come down the boards going through people because of his physical dominance but many times he would stay along the boards and circle the net just as he has done with the Canucks. He certainly took the puck to the net more often than he has done in the NHL but even back then there seemed to be a reluctance more often than not. I don't recall a lot of his goals for the Hitmen being from in tight around the net.

As a disclaimer though, I am old and my memory may not be so good. LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Jimmy, I live in Calgary and probably saw Jake play about 20 games or so with the Hitmen and I am not sure I would agree with this sentiment. Jake would quite often come down the boards going through people because of his physical dominance but many times he would stay along the boards and circle the net just as he has done with the Canucks. He certainly took the puck to the net more often than he has done in the NHL but even back then there seemed to be a reluctance more often than not. I don't recall a lot of his goals for the Hitmen being from in tight around the net.

As a disclaimer though, I am old and my memory may not be so good. LOL

ah OK thanks for that. I never saw him in person in juniors. Curious that we can look back now tho and see the issue. 

I've said it before, I don't envy NHL scouts. It must be so easy to see what you want to in a player. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ah OK thanks for that. I never saw him in person in juniors. Curious that we can look back now tho and see the issue. 

I've said it before, I don't envy NHL scouts. It must be so easy to see what you want to in a player. 

To me, the biggest challenge is projecting what these young kids will be a few years down the road. Some, like Jake, are maybe a little closer to "peaking" by their draft years while others are showing larger incremental improvement year on year. Jake's physical attributes (skating, strength, shot) were just too much to overlook.

I know the WHL has their draft of 15 year old kids every Spring for their "Bantam" draft and I see a lot of similarities with the NHL. The scouting of theses kids is nothing like the NHL draft eligible kids but they still receive a lot of scrutiny as the WHL utilize this draft to stock their cupboards. I only bring this up as the WHL teams miss on their draft picks far more often than NHL teams as greater than 50% of WHL players were never drafted in the "Bantam" draft. The same issue is there in trying to project what 15 year old kids will be like as 17 or 18 year old young men.

I think we should really appreciate the drafting the Canucks have done over the past number of years as it really can be a crapshoot. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

To me, the biggest challenge is projecting what these young kids will be a few years down the road. Some, like Jake, are maybe a little closer to "peaking" by their draft years while others are showing larger incremental improvement year on year. Jake's physical attributes (skating, strength, shot) were just too much to overlook.

I know the WHL has their draft of 15 year old kids every Spring for their "Bantam" draft and I see a lot of similarities with the NHL. The scouting of theses kids is nothing like the NHL draft eligible kids but they still receive a lot of scrutiny as the WHL utilize this draft to stock their cupboards. I only bring this up as the WHL teams miss on their draft picks far more often than NHL teams as greater than 50% of WHL players were never drafted in the "Bantam" draft. The same issue is there in trying to project what 15 year old kids will be like as 17 or 18 year old young men.

I think we should really appreciate the drafting the Canucks have done over the past number of years as it really can be a crapshoot. 

Witness the career of former 1st round pick Jim Sandlak.  Was like a monster playing against boys in the world junior tournament.  You'd swear Eric Lindros was out there lol.  Then he played against fully grown men in the NHL.:lol:

• Cheers 2