The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Jake needs to grow up, and maybe this situation will be the light switch he needs to wake up and appreciate being a pro. If he's proven not guilty of any crimes, does he come back on a mission to prove himself worthy? Or have the Canucks given up on him and plan to buy him out? 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jake needs to grow up, and maybe this situation will be the light switch he needs to wake up and appreciate being a pro. If he's proven not guilty of any crimes, does he come back on a mission to prove himself worthy? Or have the Canucks given up on him and plan to buy him out? 

Regardless of the outcome, I think the Canucks are done with him. He was given a lot of chances. This latest development actually happened in the past, and not something that happened THIS offseason. Nevertheless, Virtanen only has himself to blame for this, regardless if he's innocent/guilty of the accusations.

I personally think it's pointless for us to piece together what happened. The girl took 3 years to report this, and it likely served to her detriment. We have no idea how much of what she's saying is true or not, in reality, even though we're supposed to believe people like her. There's a reason why she is going the route of civil, along with criminal. IMHO, she probably has a weak criminal case. (Time lapsing, and a lack of evidence).

I honestly think her only chance of winning is if Virtanen settles. It's not really a win, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lmm said:

I'll put a dollar on Pittsburg

Which is all we'll get for him unfortunately.

I don't think there's a universe where the Canucks would give him another chance, but personally I would if he were to get cleared.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Radio guys just saying a buyout window opens Wednesday.  I wonder if Benning tries to trade Jake first, or just buys him out.  

we'll keep dum dum around for expansion and buy him out on the 22nd. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Radio guys just saying a buyout window opens Wednesday.  I wonder if Benning tries to trade Jake first, or just buys him out.  

He probably doesn’t have a lot of value trade wise. 

Maybe best to buy him out and allow him to be someone else’s problem. 

17 minutes ago, Bell said:

There must be some clause that the Canucks can terminate his contract and not have to buy him out if he is found guilty.

The problem with that idea is time. Best solution for the Canucks, IMO, is to just buy him out. The cap hit for doing so is very small. The ship has sailed for trading him and no verdict likely before buy out window closes.

A formidable adversary for any challenger, Jake Virtanen is an imposing power forward in the truest sense. Possesses a non-stopping motor and creates an abundance of on-ice energy when throwing his weight around and establishing his physical presence. Exhibits world-class skating ability, and can blow by defenders just as easily as he can go through them. Stands up for his teammates and never backs down from a challenge. Displays a wicked, NHL-level release that challenges goaltenders of all skill levels. Becoming a recognizable asset when playing a more defensive role as well. All-in-all, a physical power forward that has the character traits, work ethic, and individual skills to pose a threat to whoever stands in his way. 

This was the scouting report on Jake during his draft year...… If this is the report I get on my desk and my first options are taken, I would have taken Jake as well.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

A formidable adversary for any challenger, Jake Virtanen is an imposing power forward in the truest sense. Possesses a non-stopping motor and creates an abundance of on-ice energy when throwing his weight around and establishing his physical presence. Exhibits world-class skating ability, and can blow by defenders just as easily as he can go through them. Stands up for his teammates and never backs down from a challenge. Displays a wicked, NHL-level release that challenges goaltenders of all skill levels. Becoming a recognizable asset when playing a more defensive role as well. All-in-all, a physical power forward that has the character traits, work ethic, and individual skills to pose a threat to whoever stands in his way. 

This was the scouting report on Jake during his draft year...… If this is the report I get on my desk and my first options are taken, I would have taken Jake as well.

That scouting report did not age well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Character and work ethic?  Jake?  Who was that scout?  

On 7/1/2021 at 5:42 PM, NUCKER67 said:

But how many times have we heard that before? At some point, enough is enough. 

No ones given up on him. His choices and actions have resulted in him being in the situation he is in right now. Virtanen's not going to be playing for the foreseeable future, it's best we try and replace him. 

If he is found not guilty, I do think he'll come back, just not in a Canucks jersey. I'm afraid his time with us is over.

Edited by Odd.

3 hours ago, #Canucks said:

Yeah when he was bigger and stronger than everyone, but just like a bully, they back down, especially when everyone else matures and gets stronger and stands them up

Work ethic?- Until he got an NHL contract and $ ? or did they forget to add lack of work ethic to come play in shape?

• Cheers 3