The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm starting to think that Benning already has Virtanen penciled-in for the team.

I think they'll let him play until December and then send him to WJC and then back to junior before the important 40 game mark. Which may be the best course of action. I am still strongly in the camp that another year of junior would be better for his development.

I've always thought Virtanen is the type of player we take our time with.

Yeah Horvat made our team at 19 but Horvat is a special player with important qualities.

I've always thought Virtanen is the type of player we take our time with.

Yeah Horvat made our team at 19 but Horvat is a special player with important qualities.

Nah. Jake is not as mature or intelligent as Bo, but he's a man child too.

Also, IMO, itheres no such thing as "rushing" a prospect unless you're a bottom feeder expecting the kid to be your saviour, or a contender that traded somebody away to slot the kid in the lineup. There is absolutely NO pressure on Jake Virtanen this year - if he can't produce, nobody's gonna want his head. The kid just needs to play like a man, hit everything in sight, play hard/smart, and show us his world-class shot on occasion... and voila, he's a Vancouver Canuck. Bo had far more pressure on him in that, before he emerged, we were scared that none of our current prospects would ever make the jump and become legitimate NHL players. Bo has set off a new movement in Vancouver, and was the perfect player to do so.

• Upvote 1

Lucic is a proven winner and a force physically but we don't want him cause he plays mean.... Some of you guys sound like you missed our series against cow town.

The first run that Ferland took would have been his last. Lucic would have dealt with him.

The first run that Ferland took would have been his last. Lucic would have dealt with him.

Agreed

Haha so true.

I really don't understand all this talk about Ferland. He had a good 4 games against the Canucks. This guy isn't even necessarily going to turn into an NHLer and if he does, I find it extremely unlikely he'll turn into anything more than a fourth liner.

I've never seen so much attention by CDC on a fourth liner prospect of a division rival. There are so many other good, established, players to worry about.

• Upvote 3

I really don't understand all this talk about Ferland. He had a good 4 games against the Canucks. This guy isn't even necessarily going to turn into an NHLer and if he does, I find it extremely unlikely he'll turn into anything more than a fourth liner.

I've never seen so much attention by CDC on a fourth liner prospect of a division rival. There are so many other good, established, players to worry about.

He wouldn't be running around charging at our guys if we had some actual tough players. Didn't say anything about him being a good hockey player.

Do you remember the Final in 2011?

Who was the guy Boston brought in after game two, who changed the tone? Was his name Thornton? Anyway, we did not have an answer for the guy. Sometimes, you need the nuclear deterrent. Big Milan would be that guy for us. My guess is the Teins would love to have him on their side.

Do you remember the Final in 2011?

Who was the guy Boston brought in after game two, who changed the tone? Was his name Thornton? Anyway, we did not have an answer for the guy. Sometimes, you need the nuclear deterrent. Big Milan would be that guy for us. My guess is the Teins would love to have him on their side.

Haha, I really don't think you are referring to Shawn Thornton, because he was pretty much a non-factor in that series and not remotely a tone changer.

Yes, sure we could be a tougher team. But the use of Ferland as counterpoint to our team toughness is just ludicrious. This guy is a fringe NHLer. The Canucks have much bigger problems than team toughness. Anyway didn't Benning bring in those two short enforcers (Dorsett and Prust) to add team toughness? I'm sure that will end up being a great decision...

Haha, I really don't think you are referring to Shawn Thornton, because he was pretty much a non-factor in that series and not remotely a tone changer.

So many people point to that as the factor that changed the series.

Hamhuis going down with injury and Rome rallying the Bruins by taking out Horton had way more of an impact. Him coming in was nothing.

Lucic is slow, has hands of stone. We don't need caveman hockey. What is he going to teach Virtanen? How to spear a player in the pills from behind? run a few goalies? miss open nets? If he was any good, he'd still be in Boston.

Just like that Seguin guy, eh? Or that Hamilton..

Edited by Magic 8-Ball

Hamhuis going down with injury and Rome rallying the Bruins by taking out Horton had way more of an impact. Him coming in was nothing.

Not how I remembered that series. The entire 4th line of the Bruins played great. They were going two deep on the forecheck and

hitting the Van defense a lot, generated many o-zone turnovers. They were not the only reason the Bruins came back but they had a big role in doing so. Also they were a big reason why Gillis rethought his long term team identity and decided to go bigger.

Ferlund became the focus of the physical defeat by the Canucks but he was not unique to the Flames. Pretty much every Flame was finishing their check. Any scrum had every Flame in the mix. Canuck response was tentative as they probably thought their superior talent would answer the call. Didn't happen.

For the Sbisa naysayers I thought one of his best games as a Canuck was in the Flame playoff series. He tried playing a physical game and the Flames came at him big time. At one point two Flames jumped him and the other 4 Canucks on the ice simply

watched. Same thing used to happen with Rypien. This past season Dorsett suffered the same treatment. Benning is bringing players in who will change this culture.

• Upvote 1

Not how I remembered that series. The entire 4th line of the Bruins played great. They were going two deep on the forecheck and

hitting the Van defense a lot, generated many o-zone turnovers.

Vancouver's defense was a mess at that point though. No Hamhuis and no Rome meant that AV had to shuffle up his D pairs and slot in Ballard who hadn't played that much.

The turnovers came from our D just being lost more than it had to do with their fourth line. Every team that makes it to the finals has a really good fourth line. They didn't do anything special.

Tim Thomas was the biggest factor. We outshot them but he was absolutely incredible. Even with hammer in the lineup I still don't think we score on Tim.