The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think the funny thing about most of these conversations: we're 2 of 6 months into the season. We have 4 more months that could go a completely different direction. In the next 4 months, we'll see if this team has the ability to overcome hardship or not. If they do, I'll be laughing at the people changing their tune. If they don't, I'll be laughing at the consistently weird influx of trade proposals people come up with.....

.....I think I need more laughing gas.....

How about people laughing at you thinking he was NHL ready this season :). 

• Upvote 1

Maybe the team will pick it up when jake returns.  He hits hard, he skates fast, just has to get his offense going.  being out and watching these games might inspire him to challenge himself to be an impact player.  See what shakes.  Hope he goes to WJC with McCann.

7 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

Imagine if Jake had even fewer points in jr. this year than last... Benning has to save face, so this way any stat line is ok - until he got injured. 45 goals in junior is nothing to scoff at, but remember Booth had 30 in the NHL, so.., 

This thread is both comical and headscratchingly stupid. So Benning put Jake on the team to save face, because he was going to have less points in jr. this year? Makes sense.

So what? You're 2nd point is pretty lazy. I'm supposed to fill in the blank after you compare him to a 30 goal scorer. I don't think you realize how difficult it is to score goals in the NHL. 

...we will continue to see how he develops. Finished that thought for ya.

Is it possible to send Jake to Utica for conditioning and then straight to the world jrs? I think those would be huge opportunities for him. Then the 39 game mark becomes tied to the decision to send him to juniors, because Jan. 4 is game 40 and he'd be in Finland. If I'm Benning I send him and look at his performance as an audition for the 2nd half of the season.

What are we at, the 27 game mark? 12 more games on the roster and you burn off a year from Jake's UFA eligibility. This far into the season my thoughts haven't changed on these 2 kids from beginning of the season. I'd still send them both down. The best thing is to send both kids to WJC, then to juniors for the rest of the season. 

Lets see how JB handles this. Hopefully he thinks long term team interest over short term. Its unlikely JB will be here in 6 years when these 2 kids become UFA. So he'll probably go with the short sighted decision. If he keeps Jake here who clearly needs time in the juniors I"d question JB's decision making abilities. So far JBs improved the drafting, which is huge for this team. Lets hope he doesn't rush them into the NHL hindering development and unnecessarily burn off a year of their contract.

27 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Jake and the team got a pep talk from nazzy. :) im sure thats a memory he will cherish for the rest of his career.  

Doubt it he'd "cherish it for the rest of his career", Naslunds just another hockey player, Jake is around hockey players all the time and plays against the best in the world every game. Doubt Jake gets awe struck every time a hockey player says something to him. And it was probably more of a visit and introduction than a pep talk. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Doubt it he'd "cherish it for the rest of his career", Naslunds just another hockey player, Jake is around hockey players all the time and plays against the best in the world every game. Doubt Jake gets awe struck every time a hockey player says something to him. And it was probably more of a visit and introduction than a pep talk. 

Nazzy and bert are way more then just "another player to him. He grew up watching the WCE and Sedins.  Seeing nazzy the captain of the rookie sedins is much more.  They were idols, heros, and the face of the franchise he grew up watching.  

I was 14/15 when the WCE broke out.  They were huge for me growing up too.  believe ive heard jake also say he emulates aspects of their games.  

So not just another player.  Silly comment.

10 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Its unlikely JB will be here in 6 years.

A lot of GMs keep their jobs no matter what happens. With the Canucks going into a rebuild its pretty safe to say Benning is going to be here for at least the next 3 years and will probably be here for longer.

Edited by Gstank29

9 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Nazzy and bert are way more then just "another player to him. He grew up watching the WCE and Sedins.  Seeing nazzy the captain of the rookie sedins is much more.  They were idols, heros, and the face of the franchise he grew up watching.  

I was 14/15 when the WCE broke out.  They were huge for me growing up too.  believe ive heard jake also say he emulates aspects of their games.  

So not just another player.  Silly comment.

I doubt he gets dumb struck when he meets a hockey player like a pre teen girl does at a Justin Beaver concert. 

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I doubt he gets dumb struck when he meets a hockey player like a pre teen girl does at a Justin Beaver concert. 

That wasn't the OP said. The OP said he will "cherish the memory" which is entirely reasonable. He is a Canucks fan growing up, so obviously meeting one of the best Canucks players of that era is going to be special memory.

36 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's been quoted as saying he grew up emulating their games and still does. You don't think the best players from his childhood team would still have some glamour in his eyes? Whether he's an NHL'er or a bag boy at Safeway I think he'd still be over rhe moon to meet them.

26 minutes ago, Toews said:

That wasn't the OP said. The OP said he will "cherish the memory" which is entirely reasonable. He is a Canucks fan growing up, so obviously meeting one of the best Canucks players of that era is going to be special memory.

cher·ish
ˈCHeriSH/
verb

1. protect and care for (someone) lovingly.
    "he cared for me beyond measure and cherished me in his heart"
    synonyms: adore, hold dear, love, dote on, be devoted to, revere, esteem, admire;More

• hold (something) dear.
      "I cherish the letters she wrote"
      synonyms: treasure, prize, value highly, hold dear
      "I cherish her letters"
    • keep (a hope or ambition) in one's mind.
      "he had long cherished a secret fantasy about his future"
      synonyms: harbor, entertain, possess, hold (on to), cling to, keep in one's mind,foster, nurture
      "they cherished dreams of glory"

Pro athletes in any sport don't "cherish for the rest of their life" when they meet another good athlete. Virt plays against better players than Naslund on most nights.

Maybe if an average hockey player on a local beer league team met Wayne Gretzky sure, he might not grow out of being a fan boy for the rest of his life and cherish that moment for ever. But a top 5 pick playing in the NHL meeting a guy who was a good player and former captain of his team, not so much. 

I doubt it's one of the highlights of his life.  I doubt it's something he'll be thinking about in a year from now and feel warm and fuzzy over thinking about it. And I doubt he was overjoyed at meeting him when he did. Sure he's be happy to meet Naslund but I doubt it caused movement in Jake's spidy undypants.

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:
cher·ish
ˈCHeriSH/
verb

1. protect and care for (someone) lovingly.
    "he cared for me beyond measure and cherished me in his heart"
    synonyms: adore, hold dear, love, dote on, be devoted to, revere, esteem, admire;More

• hold (something) dear.
      "I cherish the letters she wrote"
      synonyms: treasure, prize, value highly, hold dear
      "I cherish her letters"
    • keep (a hope or ambition) in one's mind.
      "he had long cherished a secret fantasy about his future"
      synonyms: harbor, entertain, possess, hold (on to), cling to, keep in one's mind,foster, nurture
      "they cherished dreams of glory"

Pro athletes in any sport don't "cherish for the rest of their life" when they meet another good athlete. Virt plays against better players than Naslund on most nights.

Maybe if an average hockey player on a local beer league team met Wayne Gretzky sure, he might not grow out of being a fan boy for the rest of his life and cherish that moment for ever. But a top 5 pick playing in the NHL meeting a guy who was a good player and former captain of his team, not so much. 

I doubt it's one of the highlights of his life.  I doubt it's something he'll be thinking about in a year from now and feel warm and fuzzy over thinking about it. And I doubt he was overjoyed at meeting him when he did. Sure he's be happy to meet Naslund but I doubt it caused movement in Jake's spidy undypants.

He cares.  He hopes to one day play like them.  Not sure how that doesn't directly relate too it.  I going to stop responding too you though because I am having a hard time holding back what I want to say to you.  

28 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He cares.  He hopes to one day play like them.  Not sure how that doesn't directly relate too it.  I going to stop responding too you though because I am having a hard time holding back what I want to say to you.  

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Yes, he cares. He'll cherish this moment for the rest of his life.

I'm sure Jake will one day sit on his back porch with his young son and tell him about the time he met Markus Naslund the Scandinavian. He'll tell his son stories of the great Scandinavian's conquests and then explain to his son in detail how upon meeting him in the bowels of Roger's Arena the Scandinavian looked over to Jake, and said, Hi, I'm Markus.  Jake will tell his son he's half Scandinavian him self from the Finland clan, I bet he even tells a little lie and claims shared ancestry to Markus Naslund the Scandinavian. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Yes, he cares. He'll cherish this moment for the rest of his life.

I'm sure Jake will one day sit on his back porch with his young son and tell him about the time he met Markus Naslund the Scandinavian. He'll tell his son stories of the great Scandinavian's conquests and then explain to his son in detail how upon meeting him in the bowels of Roger's Arena the Scandinavian looked over to Jake, and said, Hi, I'm Markus.  Jake will tell his son he's half Scandinavian him self from the Finland clan, I bet he even tells a little lie and claims shared ancestry to Markus Naslund the Scandinavian. 

not hurting my feelings.  your ignorance is just irritating me lol.  It usually takes a lot to get under my skin but you clearly are trolling so no point in engaging you. ggs.  

Hope to see Jake back in the lineup and maybe become part of the next great WCE style line. :) could happen time will tell.

cheers :D