The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

20 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I actually said "Vancouver took Virtanen, if you scroll back to the start of this thread you'll see that most people that disagreed with the pick wanted Nylander or Ehlers."

I exaggerated that most people didn't like the pick, but a lot didn't.  The people that didn't like it mostly wanted Nylander or Ehlers, with some wanting Ritchie.  

I personally wanted Ritchie or for JB to turn Kesler into that pick to get him as well.

Oh for sure it will look different. Don't get me wrong I like all the young guys jb has brought in I'd just like to see more youth with size as well as skill

sorry forgot to quote you j.r.

Edited by Nancouver

31 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Oh for sure it will look different. Don't get me wrong I like all the young guys jb has brought in I'd just like to see more youth with size as well as skill

sorry forgot to quote you j.r.

We've got a few years to address or have guys grow in to any holes/shortcomings in the lineup. 

If Virtanen looks like he can play a middle (or even top) 6 role over the next couple years and say we bring Kane home next off season and maybe we draft Glass, 'size in the top 9' will become a complete non-issue IMO in the next few years. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Canucks desperately need jake to become an nhler, even if only a 3rd line winger who pots 12-15 goals a year. They need his size and speed and snarl especially in the playoffs because the rest of the forward group looks pretty soft so far.

I'm not sure that they do. if Jake flops he flops. move on. but with his physical attributes, speed, and shot. I'm not sure he doesn't at least become a middle six player in the NHL. don't know if he can become a regular 20 goal scorer in the league. but I'm willing to bet that he at least has in his career probably 2-3 20 goal seasons. I'll take that. of course I wish that he becomes a consistent top six threat. but I'm not sure if he ever reaches that. so seeking for a few 20 goal seasons is better than nothing. 

On 5/22/2017 at 4:26 AM, guntrix said:

You need to stop interpreting criticism as trolling and you need to stop acting like you have more qualified credentials/life experience for evaluating prospects. I highly doubt anyone believes you. 

I really don't care.  I share my opinions for what they are.  If anyone believes everything they read on the internet, they are morons.

I am not acting nor have any motive to do other than state what I know from what background I have.  How you choose to contribute is up to you.   Criticism isn't trolling but fabricating issues about a player, writing off a player who is developing and consistently comparing non-like players on a different timeframe/development path is trolling when it is repeated ad nausea.

Once again, this player will have a lot of people (fans?) eating crow.   Start choosing the sauce you prefer.

• Upvote 3

Not too sure where he works out but I was getting gas at 7-11 in Abbotsford and he was inside with a buddy of his. Both looked like they just finished working out. Jake had a bottle of milk and protein bar. His buddy had a bag of corn dogs and toquito''s.

Jake looks fit and glad he is working. I acknowledged who he was and told him alot of ppl are rootin for him. He was polite, said thx. Alot of new tattoos too

His new jeep Grand Cherokee sounded killer 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Not too sure where he works out but I was getting gas at 7-11 in Abbotsford and he was inside with a buddy of his. Both looked like they just finished working out. Jake had a bottle of milk and protein bar. His buddy had a bag of corn dogs and toquito''s.

Jake looks fit and glad he is working. I acknowledged who he was and told him alot of ppl are rootin for him. He was polite, said thx. Alot of new tattoos too

His new jeep Grand Cherokee sounded killer 

Jake: psssst. Hey Andrew. Can you buy me some corn dogs and toquitos?

Andrew: What? No. Why? Buy your own God damn snacks. 

Jake: shhhh! They're watching...

Jk obviously. 

• Upvote 1

Seems like people who are seeing him around are seeing him on a bike or having just worked out and seems to be in good shape.  Maybe it is time to give him some credit for working hard and making things right.  It might be time also to loose the "fat jokes," :)

6 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Seems like people who are seeing him around are seeing him on a bike or having just worked out and seems to be in good shape.  Maybe it is time to give him some credit for working hard and making things right.  It might be time also to lose the "fat jokes," :)

What about that guy who saw him scarfing down meatball subs?

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

15 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

What kind of guy can eat multiple meatball subs?

Also who has enough time to watch someone eat multiple meatball subs lol.

• Upvote 1

The fat jokes got old pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong, he did deserve some stick for coming to camp out of shape. But out of shape for a professional athlete is still better than the average person. And somehow I doubt that every person yukking it up on here is ripped.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I really don't care.  I share my opinions for what they are.  If anyone believes everything they read on the internet, they are morons.

I am not acting nor have any motive to do other than state what I know from what background I have.  How you choose to contribute is up to you.   Criticism isn't trolling but fabricating issues about a player, writing off a player who is developing and consistently comparing non-like players on a different timeframe/development path is trolling when it is repeated ad nausea.

Once again, this player will have a lot of people (fans?) eating crow.   Start choosing the sauce you prefer.

Please point me in the direction of the psychic who sold you her crystal ball. 

Consistently proclaiming that everything is and will be fine is the real spin job here. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I have to agree with "Toews" and say the jokes got old fast; for me anyway.  I don't  think the subs comment was serious.  I can't believe a person his size could actually eat multiple subs unless he or she was a competitive eater.::D

3 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I have to agree with "Toews" and say the jokes got old fast; for me anyway.  I don't  think the subs comment was serious.  I can't believe a person his size could actually eat multiple subs unless he or she was a competitive eater.::D

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

You believe everything you read on the internet, don't you?

I was the one who made the comment and it was a complete joke haha!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Jake: psssst. Hey Andrew. Can you buy me some corn dogs and toquitos?

Andrew: What? No. Why? Buy your own God damn snacks. 

Jake: shhhh! They're watching...

Jk obviously. 

Ya that's what I was chuckling to myself about 2 blocks driving away from there. The way he looked tho....no belly or flab to him. Even if he did eat a corn dog,  he would burn that off in his sleep. 

But ya as another poster suggested... start cutting the kid some slack. 

In a way I feel for the guy as its not as if HE asked to be picked #5. Scouts like Button had him around #40. Others had him between 10-15.

If anything the ultimate pressure HAS to be on Benning.

Imagine if Adam Gaudette got selected at 5? Guy would probably die from unrealistic scrutiny. 

Imagine how Patrick White felt when selected in the 1st round when scouts had him somewhere in the 4th round. I remember hearing TSN commentators flipping thru draft sheets looking for his name. Lol

• Upvote 1

Again....Bottle of milk and protein bar....sweaty from workout...

Does it matter if he is biking on seawall or competing in inline games? Atleast he is working, staying fit.

Guys over at Abbotsford Chrysler love him. Buddy of mine in service dept. says you can't put anyore options in that Cherokee. Top motor, stereo,....u name it

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Please point me in the direction of the psychic who sold you her crystal ball. 

Consistently proclaiming that everything is and will be fine is the real spin job here. 

He did more than that. He said that he will bump our posts when Jake becomes a top 6 forward. Most scouts seem to hedge their bets regarding players unless it a top talent like McDavid/Matthews/Eichel. But what do they know, they should come and consult Rob's crystal ball instead.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

In a way I feel for the guy as its not as if HE asked to be picked #5. Scouts like Button had him around #40. Others had him between 10-15.

Alternative_Facts-678x381.jpg

Virtanen was taken at 6, not 5. And scouts had him pretty much in the 6-10 group. Button himself at...wait for it...

...Six.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/06/24/tsn-2014-nhl-mock-draft-with-craig-button/

• Upvote 1