The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This is very exciting. We have needed that in a goalie for a long long time. Assuming he can stop the puck too lol.

TD has been in our system for years, have you not seen him play?

He's considered one of the best goaltending prospects in the world... and has been Utica's best player for nearly 2 seasons now. 

He still has the potential to be the best player on this team one day...

• Cheers 1

On 12/10/2018 at 12:45 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Also I think Demko will have enough pro experience/games played by the time of the expansion draft meaning he will need to be protected.

Today Demko plays his 100th career pro game (99 AHL and 1 NHL)

Leading 1 - 0 at 1st intermission

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

TD has been in our system for years, have you not seen him play?

He's considered one of the best goaltending prospects in the world... and has been Utica's best player for nearly 2 seasons now. 

He still has the potential to be the best player on this team one day...

Yeah I know about Demko and have seen him play but only a few times.

I did not know that he was known as an excellent puck moving goalie though.

25 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I'm really liking this about bringing back Ian Clark to the club, hopefully it pays off in spades for our future goaltenders :)  Great insight Sid, thanks for all you do for this forum!

Cheers! :) 

I agree with you on Clark. He’s extremely highly regarded and known to be very hands on, detail oriented, and tireless in his work, so he was IMO a perfect hire for this organization. We have Markstrom and Nilsson, who are both goalies that seem to really need regular maintenance work throughout the season to maintain their technique and play at their best. And then we have two excellent prospects in Demko and DiPietro, who can really benefit under the tutelage of a world class goaltending coach/consultant like Clark.

One change I’ve noticed this year is that whenever management, coaches, staff, and players alike are interviewed and the topic of goaltending comes up, they seem to always have a comment on how hard “Clarky” is working with the ‘tenders, and how they’ve been focused in on improving some aspect of their performance. Didn’t necessarily hear that kind of stuff as much in the past, but under Clark, it seems to be a constant point of conversation. It’s definitely clear that Clark’s presence is being felt, and I expect this will pay dividends in the coming years.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It's funny, a few weeks ago, the Comets were in the toilet, the general consensus was that while Thatcher's return was a welcome addition, he was no panacea for all the club's ills.  Now, they do in fact look like a different team with him in the net.  Way to go Thatcher!!

• Upvote 1

I get a chuckle when I read comments that DiPietro is a better prospect than Demko.  Everyone loves the shiny newer toy.

I expected Thatcher to look rusty after missing two months with a concussion but he hasn't missed a beat. If anything he looks more technically sound and is staying up longer and not giving up the goals over his shoulder.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I get a chuckle when I read comments that DiPietro is a better prospect than Demko.  Everyone loves the shiny newer toy.

I expected Thatcher to look rusty after missing two months with a concussion but he hasn't missed a beat. If anything he looks more technically sound and is staying up longer and not giving up the goals over his shoulder.

I don't care which one of the two ends up being better - both come with serious pedigree for their respective levels of development. Its a nice problem to have, as long as we dont screw it up like the whole Luongo-Schneider saga. 

5 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Agreed. I think both will turn out to be great goalies and we will have a decision to make on whether to keep Demko or DiPietro like the Ducks had to with Andersen or Gibson. DiPietro being a few years younger would mean that early stages, we will see Demko as starter and DiPietro as back-up. And eventually, when DiPietro demonstrates starting potential, that's when we will make the difficult decision. 

I also expect Demko to have a rough first season or two in the NHL as he was finding ways and the members on this board will make proposals to trade him or want him gone. Then he will play lights out and the same guys who made those proposals will be calling him the backbone to our future Stanley Cup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 5:26 PM, Dungass said:

How does our top tender prospect slip to the second page?  Anyways, Thatcher has looked amazing against Rochester so far tonight.

Says alot about our prospects I think.