The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trades that made you sad

CALGARY!

Hodgson trade

Luongo trade

Schneider trade

Kesler trade

Pretty much every trade in the last couple years Mike Gillis made was complete utter failure

These made me sad too. Not because of the trades themselves, which I actually thought were fair, but because every time a piece got moved, the fans turned into whining children. Fans of players =/= fans of teams.

These make me sad simply by looking back at the values....

- Patrick Sharp and Eric Meloche for Matt Ellison

- JVR for Luke Schenn

- Sergei Bobrovsky for a 2nd, 4th, and 4th

- 1st round pick (traded during the draft while on the clock) for Steve Eminger. Eminger was a RFA who was a healthy scratch many times during the season that the Capitals were unlikely to bring back. The drafted player was John Carlson.

- Justin Williams for Danny Markov

- Josh Gratton, 2nd round pick, and another 2nd round pick for Denis Gauthier

- Dennis Seidenberg and a 4th for Petr Nedved (at the end of his career)

The Schneider trade made me very sad. I loved Cory, and he was going to be our elite goalie one day. I love Horvat, but that trade still really stings.

Trading Mikeal Samuelsson too. He was one of my favourite Canucks when he was here.

This one isn't a trade, but letting Willie Mitchell walk. Still one of my favourite defenseman, it was him who really made me realize how hard defensive players worked. He worked harder then anybody. He was the first player I wanted and got customized on my jersey. It made me really upset when LA got him.

There are a few but, looking back in hindsight, they had to happen (at least most of them).

What being a Lions'/Wally Buono fan has taught me is that loyalty should be toward the team first...players understand that when they sign on. When they traded Geroy to the Riders, a piece of my heart broke off.

When Trevor was traded, I was crushed. That one will never make sense to me...but his return was sweet.

Some that come to mind (not all "trades" but disposing of players in not re-signing them also counts for me): Sami, Ohly, Jovo, Gelinas, Bert (but that had to happen for all parties involved...I get that), Bieksa.

Never easy when my favourites, tried and true, get moved. But if they do well through that and the shuffling infuses some energy in through the change, then so be it. I tend to follow them as they do move on and stay supportive....unless they match up against us.

But trades are the tough part for me...I always find myself holding my breath as deadlines loom. I've learned to accept that change is part of it and my loyalties are different than that of the business organization. It is what it is.

Bobby Luo was a tough one for me to swallow. Not the fact we lost two solid starting goalies within a year for, at the time, a 3rd liner, an AHL goalie, and a prospect, but rather what Luongo did for us over the years. Took an average team and took them to become an elite team, and eventually a Stanley Cup game 7 final. Seemed like a great person off the ice too, learning how to be a star player in a market that easily placed blame on him. Still seems weird not hearing Jim Hughson's "Grrrrreat save Luongo!"

Luongo.

That entire season was a nightmare for me, the Winter Classic to top it off was sacrilege. The best goaltender in franchise history treated like dirt. By the fans. By the management. By the coach.

His jersey is the only one I own to date and will remain the only one I own for the forseeable future.

Luongo.

That entire season was a nightmare for me, the Winter Classic to top it off was sacrilege. The best goaltender in franchise history treated like dirt. By the fans. By the management. By the coach.

His jersey is the only one I own to date and will remain the only one I own for the forseeable future.

Yeah I agree.

Losing Schneider for just a #9 pick stung a little at the time, but Horvat has won me over so far. That kid will be an assistant captain one day, at least. Plus, we never really seem to be short of good goalie prospects. I'm okay with having a free Ryan Miller while Markstrom et all come up in the ranks with a Horvat in front of them.

Luongo.

You mean the "Close the Roof it's Raining in March Cotton Ball Classic?

I couldn't believe he sat that game. He got a lot of praise, and was dished a lot of dirt while he was here, but overall he meant a lot to this organization. His being here helped set us in the direction we're going now, one which I see as a rebuilding upswing.

Archived