The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks Training Camp Thread ***Updated Daily***

-Vintage Canuck-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUyWnYVLrc

Great to see that Jim Benning is actually a hands on GM in the sense that he's there with the players watching them train and cheering them on. MG seemed too white collar for that.

I can't believe the upper body strength the players have. Especially for the younger guys who are still growing, that's amazing! I wonder who the puking one was lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUyWnYVLrc

Great to see that Jim Benning is actually a hands on GM in the sense that he's there with the players watching them train and cheering them on. MG seemed too white collar for that.

I can't believe the upper body strength the players have. Especially for the younger guys who are still growing, that's amazing! I wonder who the puking one was lol

If I had to guess, I'd say Foxy ;)

Trevor Linden and Willie Desjardins welcome the team to Whistler and share their expectations for the season as training camp begins.

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've wanted to see from management and coaches. Best of all, I saw Benning watching the players doing the physicals cheering the guys on. That's awesome! You can tell these guys are ex-players.

Richardson as 3C really makes me cringe. I hope Vey can take over that spot.

And I agree, Matthias needs to be a top 9 forward or traded out of here for a pick or prospect.

Richardson played outstanding hockey last year.

He was 55.2% in the faceoff circle - top 20 faceoff guy in the NHL.

11 goals and 23 points while playing a shutdown role, getting 32.8% offensive zone starts (fewest of any Canucks).

Played 15 minutes a night and was +1 in that context with a couple shorthanded goals - was an all around bloody nuissance to play against.

The guy was a great acquisition and more than lived up to any hopes or expectations anyone had of him.

A Higgins Richardson Hansen third line is a hell of a two way line.

Cringe away, but if Richardson picks up where he left off, he'll make a very solid 3C, particularly if he gets to play with the likes of H&H.

Also, where Matthias is concerned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a player of that quality strengthening the bottom six or the fourth line if that's where he plays, enabling WD to roll 4, as is the repeatedly stated plan. A fourth line that can handle more than 10 minutes a night will make life a lot easier for the Sedins, and a guy like Matthias can push his way up the lineup if he commands the minutes, and/or contribute to special teams. I doubt he's going anywhere.

A fourth line of Matthias Horvat and Vey would make a nice, skilled youth line option, with Matthias adding a solid two way presence with experience, and a 2nd center able to step in and win draws.

Alternatively a more experienced line of Sestito Matthias and Dorset gives a physical and experienced option.

Matthias Horvat Dorsett.

Either way, Matthias imo is the anchor and common factor on that line and will be an important piece making the bottom six better than it's been in quite some time.

Archived