The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How is the turnaround this quick?

Sixteen W's

Benning did a great job in the off season getting young NHL ready players on good contracts to fill in the depth. Bones, Miller, Vrbrata have delivered gold so far. Looks like the chemistry in the room is getting back to 2011 levels and thats a direct reflection of Trevor and what he wants in his team.

no harm in being excited, heck Im enjoying watching the team pull some Ws together.

Fact of the matter for me is that 6 of our 9 wins have come vs the bottom 6 teams in the league.

Beating the Blues when they were battling a team flu... solid win.

Beating the Habs on a western swing and in the middle of a slump... solidish win.

Beating the Flames the first game of the year... expected at the time.

So while some fans expectations are beginning to rise, remember to temper your excitement a tad as we've been dealt a nice hand of teams to start the season against. Should this roster come out of Cali with 4 of 6 points, I think Ill start to believe in blue... But really theres a much tougher set of opposition on the horizon, and the current record could be somewhat of a smoke screen due to some lack luster competition despite the fact that anyone can win on any given night in this league.

The good news, 3 of the teams 4 losses have come on the 2nd half of back to back games. Thats an encouraging statistic for me.

Dont get me wrong, I would love for this team to be for real. Really enjoying watching all 4 lines get in and play hard. That Richardson line showing some real solid control in the O zone. 4th line produces again. Bonino has a sick snapper.

Heres hoping we see more of the same vs SJ, LA, and Ana!!

It was all part of gillis process. Our low IQ's couldn't grasp it at the time but it was all part of his plan.

Start another goalie controversy so the team sucks just bad enough to draft Virtanen.

Drag the Kesler situation out long enough till Bonino is offered up.

Signing a dman to a hometown discount, knowing he's not going to work so we can flip him for a pick that will land us a team's young nhl ready offensive centre.

Looking back, MG really out CDC'd us all haha

Yes .. we beat some 'bottom dwellers', but we helped make them 'bottom-dwellers' .. we celebrate every win and mourn every loss, it seems .. there are some very positive signs going forward .. cohesion and 'team' and 'having fun' seem to be the order of the day .. as Willie said to Bo .. and Hank too .. 'just go out there and have fun' ..

When a team comes together like this, they are much better prepared to face adversity, and seem unwilling to settle for anything but their best effort .. win or lose, this Team is becoming a "Team" and it will help them greatly in the dog days of Jan. - Feb. .. we just need to arrive there relatively healthy and still in contention.

What is not to like? .. we just need a PMD on the right side IMO ..Weber does not match up that well against the bigger teams, and Sbisa has trouble with speed

I've said it all along ... when you struggle, you lose confidence. When you're fatigued, you're more injury prone. After the 2011 loss, this team imploded for a variety of reasons. They got duped, they got beat up, they hot humiliated. Hard to find motivation to return to "try again". It's so difficult to even reach that level and when you've been completed decimated, to return to it is quite a feat. Sure, recent teams have managed to, but it's not easy.

They needed to find the will again. There were some behind the scenes things happening that served as distractions. Then...Torts. The gasoline that was thrown on the smoldering ashes.

It comes from within, first and foremost. They seem inspired again and the new guys who've arrived on the scene have provided a spark. Some of the guys struggling with a bit of ego/me first are gone.

Don't get too high here...we started off just fine last year and it's a long season. Don't jump off at the first sign of struggling, that's when they need support the most.

But they are playing hard (again) and have a never say die attitude. That's the first step to getting there.

The team played very well last season, up until January. And when you look at the reasons why they suffered in the second half last year (injuries, trade distractions, injuries, injuries, Torts), the team wasn't as bad as people made them out to be. Now, are they a SCF team? I still don't think so. But we've all been proven wrong before.

It's a long season. 1/8 the way through. Let's see where we are at in February. It's way too soon to be talking about a turn around. Torts had this group undefeated in December. Willie has done a good job to date.

This team is not last years team!

Not even close

B1sAp9NCYAI-UQv.jpg

It was all part of gillis process. Our low IQ's couldn't grasp it at the time but it was all part of his plan.

Start another goalie controversy so the team sucks just bad enough to draft Virtanen.

Drag the Kesler situation out long enough till Bonino is offered up.

Signing a dman to a hometown discount, knowing he's not going to work so we can flip him for a pick that will land us a team's young nhl ready offensive centre.

Looking back, MG really out CDC'd us all haha

What's the opposite of a conspiracy theory?

It's a process!

I've said it all along ... when you struggle, you lose confidence. When you're fatigued, you're more injury prone. After the 2011 loss, this team imploded for a variety of reasons. They got duped, they got beat up, they hot humiliated. Hard to find motivation to return to "try again". It's so difficult to even reach that level and when you've been completed decimated, to return to it is quite a feat. Sure, recent teams have managed to, but it's not easy.

They needed to find the will again. There were some behind the scenes things happening that served as distractions. Then...Torts. The gasoline that was thrown on the smoldering ashes.

It comes from within, first and foremost. They seem inspired again and the new guys who've arrived on the scene have provided a spark. Some of the guys struggling with a bit of ego/me first are gone.

Don't get too high here...we started off just fine last year and it's a long season. Don't jump off at the first sign of struggling, that's when they need support the most.

But they are playing hard (again) and have a never say die attitude. That's the first step to getting there.

Pretty much agree. It is way to early yet to get overly excited. Yes the next 3 games will be a very usefull measuring stick. Van has not played a lot of top caliber teams yet.

To date:

Weaknesses: defense is very questionable. A deep, hard, two man forecheck usually kills the Canuck 'D'.

Strengths & Growth:

- rolling 4 lines. IMHO there is not a successful team that does not roll 4 lines. WD is doing it plus spreading the 'D' minutes much better.

- Depth! Van has a scoring 2nd line and serious potential on the 3rd & 4th. Huge upgrade with the

acquired players by JB. Last year's Mathias-Richardson-Kassian have tremendous potential offensively and physically.

Playoff contender but not a CUP contender yet. Not say'in that will be the situation come May.

Last night was the most entertaining game I've watched from this team in a long time. Willy was rolling all 4 lines and I love how it was mentioned on a few occasions that his team building skills were highlighted by the simple task of letting Horvat take the opening face-off. Whether this team is a contender or not can't be based on the first dozen games but it's undeniable that change has been made and we are miles ahead of where any Canucks fan probably would have thought we'd be prior to the start of this season.

Also, that Bonino trade isn't looking too shabby considering Kesler wanted out but I woulda let them keep Sbisa lol.

How they have that guy doing Canucks commercials is beyond me, are they just trying to piss us off?

the beauty of recordable TV is waiting an hour before turning on the game and then skipping all the commercials...

especially that one!

the bad thing is forgetting to record the show after, and missing the end of the game...

can anyone fill me in on the last 2 seconds of last nights game? haha

How they have that guy doing Canucks commercials is beyond me, are they just trying to piss us off?

When you realize that this is a national commercial for Rogers not the Canucks maybe you'd understand why it's being shown. Not everybody in Canada hates Messier. Just Canucks fans hate Messier.

Keep it to yourself and your closet full of moldy, wet blankets.

Likely the same haters and whiners whose memories don't go past 6 months, and believed that last year was the real Canucks team. How many times did we try to tell them, but they prefered to whine and wallow in despair. "We aren't even in the same galaxy... no way can we compete... saying we'll make the playoffs is just stupid... we're no better than the Oilers or Flames... it's gonna take 5 years to turn this around... blow it all up and tank..." It was of course ignorantly myopic and made for an annoying off-season.

The team is back to playing as it should be and is capable of. In fact, it should continue to improve, especially on D as the players adapt to and learn the new system. Fortunately the team's performance has shut the whiners and fickle-fans up for the most part (or they've tried to sneak in the backdoor posing as real supporters), but it will only take a loss or two to a Cali team for them to wind up the crying machine again. The #tanknation crowd however is nearly all but extinct, and good riddance. They'd be much happier in Edmonton and Toronto, as would we without their nonsense.

When you realize that this is a national commercial for Rogers not the Canucks maybe you'd understand why it's being shown. Not everybody in Canada hates Messier. Just Canucks fans hate Messier.

why is he with only canucks fans then? they would murder him.

Archived