The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] CANUCKS @ DUCKS - November 9th, 6:00PM PST - City TV with JIM HUGHSON! - GO NUCKS GO!

2SKATES1STICK

To put it bluntly, this team needs to play like it's an elimination game tonight. They don't just need a win to prove it to their fans or to the rest of the league, they need to win to prove it to themselves that they CAN hang with and beat good teams around the league. The road to the SC goes through California. If you can't beat those teams, pack it up and go home.

True, just want to see a full effort. Last night was one of the first games where I didn't see an effort(past the first 10mins). But gotta give them some leeway, this will be 6 games in 9 nights, that's an insane schedule.

Jim Hughson is a really good commentator... but when he is paired with Craig Simpson, there's nothing he can do to make it enjoyable to listen to the commentating.

I'm a Canucks fan, I'd rather listen to fellow Canuck homer John Garrett than to listen to Hughson if he is paired up with Simpson.

Agree, bang on!

I do suspect there is a bit of a flu that accounts for a complete lack of energy/jump (as St. Louis had the bug when they played them 2 weeks ago).

No excuse though - dig deep.

I don't dwell on the past (games), they're done and I find no point in that. So looking forward to a better effort...if the effort's there, I can accept losses. When it's not, it's a big waste of my time and a huge let down. I'm giving them a mulligan.

So... The wait is over.

18 or so angry canucks who Wana beat kesler for jumping ship vs kesler and company

I fully expect a win. Anything else would be disappointing.

The canucks are the best in Pacific when firing on all cylinders

Wow, Baileys and coffee kicking in hey?

Wow, Baileys and coffee kicking in hey?

Na dude I'm just angry everyone is saying the sky is falling when we're in position to LEAD THE NHL STANDINGS WITH A WIN TONIGHT.

WHY ARE PEOPLE BEING SO NEGATIVE. LET'S DESTROY KESLER TONIGHT.

Ryan Kesler sits down with Dan Murphy to talk about leaving Vancouver to sign with the Ducks:

ANAHEIM, Calif. — It is a game day at Honda Center and Ryan Kesler couldn’t look any more relaxed.

When he emerges from the Anaheim Ducks dressing room in shorts, flip-flops and a ballcap, it’s not entirely clear if he’s on his way to the beach or heading home for a pre-game nap.

That’s not to suggest Kesler is doing anything wrong. He is merely observing the loose dress code enjoyed by those lucky enough to play hockey for a living in Orange County.

The players here will tell you that the perks extend well beyond sunshine and the chance to wear shorts in November, too, which is why it’s so telling that Kesler immediately points to lifestyle when asked for the biggest difference between being a member of the Ducks and Vancouver Canucks.

“I think just being able to enjoy your time off the ice,” he told me this week. “You can be with your family and kind of just live your life like a normal person and not have that famous part of it.”

This is the closest Kesler will come to acknowledging there was a little more to his requested trade out of Vancouver than simply wanting a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

During a candid sitdown with Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register in September, he sounded like someone who had tired of playing in a crazed hockey market. In particular, Kesler didn’t like the way he was portrayed by some members of the media.

“I don’t buy that I’m not a good teammate,” he said. “You can ask any of my teammates. I know when I was traded, if I was such a bad teammate, 95 per cent of the guys wouldn’t have texted me (afterward).

“That’s the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that aren’t true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.

“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”

It is certainly not an issue here.

The Ducks are currently a first-place team and won’t be subjected to anywhere near the same level of scrutiny even if that changes. Kesler should largely be free to go quietly about his business in this environment — at least once he gets Sunday’s game against the Canucks and a Nov. 20 visit to Vancouver out of the way.

What is most striking about seeing him in Anaheim is how normal it all appears. Despite playing more than 700 games for the Canucks and spending 11 years in the organization, the transition has been smooth.

“He seems comfortable,” said coach Bruce Boudreau.

The Ducks are thrilled with their new second-line centre. Kesler has long been the apple of GM Bob Murray’s eye and Anaheim very nearly pried him away from Vancouver at the trade deadline last season.

Those close to the situation suggest Murray was locked in a bidding war with Pittsburgh in March and actually offered more at that point than the eventual price he paid for Kesler at the draft: Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa and the 24th pick (Jared McCann).

Kesler waived a no-trade clause to make it happen and feels like he’s got a great chance to win a championship. However, he says it’s too soon to gauge how this team compares to some of the great Vancouver ones he played for in the past.

“We’re just going to take it in stride and have fun with it,” said Kesler. “You need a lot to go right to win. It’s a long season and right now we’re playing well. Hopefully we can continue that.”

He’s found some pleasant surprises inside the Anaheim dressing room.

“I didn’t know about their young guys,” he said. “Obviously when you hear about the Ducks you think (Ryan) Getzlaf and (Corey) Perry and (Francois) Beauchemin. But I didn’t know too much about their young guys and they’ve really impressed me so far.

“We’re a deep young team.”

Kesler has done his part as well, racking up nine points in 14 games.

His most valuable asset for the team is strong defensive play — not to mention having another big centre to employ against tough Western Conference opponents. Boudreau is already enjoying that luxury and only expects Kesler to get better with time.

“I’m sure there are things still in his game that he reverts back to and goes ‘Oh geez we don’t do that here,”‘ said Boudreau. “You know, or ‘I used to do that there and we’ve changed.’

“But for the most part, even though the offensive numbers aren’t there, he’s been very good. And one of the main reasons is I can put him and Getzlaf out on different lines and we’ve been very good defensively because our matchups have been (favourable).”

Life is good here.

It is during the few moments of downtime the season offers where Kesler most appreciates his new situation. He and his wife, Andrea, are able to go out for dinner and blend into the surroundings.

They’ve now spent a couple months in California and he’s hardly been recognized.

“A couple people here and there, but nothing like Vancouver,” said Kesler.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kesler-doesnt-miss-vancouvers-attention/

Ryan Kesler sits down with Dan Murphy to talk about leaving Vancouver to sign with the Ducks:

ANAHEIM, Calif. It is a game day at Honda Center and Ryan Kesler couldnt look any more relaxed.

When he emerges from the Anaheim Ducks dressing room in shorts, flip-flops and a ballcap, its not entirely clear if hes on his way to the beach or heading home for a pre-game nap.

Thats not to suggest Kesler is doing anything wrong. He is merely observing the loose dress code enjoyed by those lucky enough to play hockey for a living in Orange County.

The players here will tell you that the perks extend well beyond sunshine and the chance to wear shorts in November, too, which is why its so telling that Kesler immediately points to lifestyle when asked for the biggest difference between being a member of the Ducks and Vancouver Canucks.

I think just being able to enjoy your time off the ice, he told me this week. You can be with your family and kind of just live your life like a normal person and not have that famous part of it.

This is the closest Kesler will come to acknowledging there was a little more to his requested trade out of Vancouver than simply wanting a better shot at winning the Stanley Cup.

During a candid sitdown with Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register in September, he sounded like someone who had tired of playing in a crazed hockey market. In particular, Kesler didnt like the way he was portrayed by some members of the media.

I dont buy that Im not a good teammate, he said. You can ask any of my teammates. I know when I was traded, if I was such a bad teammate, 95 per cent of the guys wouldnt have texted me (afterward).

Thats the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that arent true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.

No matter how much my old teammates say it doesnt bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.

The Ducks are currently a first-place team and wont be subjected to anywhere near the same level of scrutiny even if that changes. Kesler should largely be free to go quietly about his business in this environment at least once he gets Sundays game against the Canucks and a Nov. 20 visit to Vancouver out of the way.

What is most striking about seeing him in Anaheim is how normal it all appears. Despite playing more than 700 games for the Canucks and spending 11 years in the organization, the transition has been smooth.

He seems comfortable, said coach Bruce Boudreau.

The Ducks are thrilled with their new second-line centre. Kesler has long been the apple of GM Bob Murrays eye and Anaheim very nearly pried him away from Vancouver at the trade deadline last season.

Those close to the situation suggest Murray was locked in a bidding war with Pittsburgh in March and actually offered more at that point than the eventual price he paid for Kesler at the draft: Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa and the 24th pick (Jared McCann).

Kesler waived a no-trade clause to make it happen and feels like hes got a great chance to win a championship. However, he says its too soon to gauge how this team compares to some of the great Vancouver ones he played for in the past.

Were just going to take it in stride and have fun with it, said Kesler. You need a lot to go right to win. Its a long season and right now were playing well. Hopefully we can continue that.

Hes found some pleasant surprises inside the Anaheim dressing room.

I didnt know about their young guys, he said. Obviously when you hear about the Ducks you think (Ryan) Getzlaf and (Corey) Perry and (Francois) Beauchemin. But I didnt know too much about their young guys and theyve really impressed me so far.

Were a deep young team.

His most valuable asset for the team is strong defensive play not to mention having another big centre to employ against tough Western Conference opponents. Boudreau is already enjoying that luxury and only expects Kesler to get better with time.

Im sure there are things still in his game that he reverts back to and goes Oh geez we dont do that here, said Boudreau. You know, or I used to do that there and weve changed.

But for the most part, even though the offensive numbers arent there, hes been very good. And one of the main reasons is I can put him and Getzlaf out on different lines and weve been very good defensively because our matchups have been (favourable).

Life is good here.

It is during the few moments of downtime the season offers where Kesler most appreciates his new situation. He and his wife, Andrea, are able to go out for dinner and blend into the surroundings.

Theyve now spent a couple months in California and hes hardly been recognized.

A couple people here and there, but nothing like Vancouver, said Kesler.

Soo should we feel bad for Kesler now? Guess making millions to play hockey and having fans love you is a pretty crappy way to live

ANAHEIM, Calif. — It is a game day at Honda Center and Ryan Kesler couldn’t look any more relaxed.

When he emerges from the Anaheim Ducks dressing room in shorts, flip-flops and a ballcap, it’s not entirely clear if he’s on his way to the beach or heading home for a pre-game nap.

That’s not to suggest Kesler is doing anything wrong. He is merely observing the loose dress code enjoyed by those lucky enough to play hockey for a living in Orange County.

The players here will tell you that the perks extend well beyond sunshine and the chance to wear shorts in November, too, which is why it’s so telling that Kesler immediately points to lifestyle when asked for the biggest difference between being a member of the Ducks and Vancouver Canucks.

“I think just being able to enjoy your time off the ice,” he told me this week. “You can be with your family and kind of just live your life like a normal person and not have that famous part of it.”

During a candid sitdown with Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register in September, he sounded like someone who had tired of playing in a crazed hockey market. In particular, Kesler didn’t like the way he was portrayed by some members of the media.

“I don’t buy that I’m not a good teammate,” he said. “You can ask any of my teammates. I know when I was traded, if I was such a bad teammate, 95 per cent of the guys wouldn’t have texted me (afterward).

“That’s the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that aren’t true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.

“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”

The Ducks are currently a first-place team and won’t be subjected to anywhere near the same level of scrutiny even if that changes. Kesler should largely be free to go quietly about his business in this environment — at least once he gets Sunday’s game against the Canucks and a Nov. 20 visit to Vancouver out of the way.

“He seems comfortable,” said coach Bruce Boudreau.

The Ducks are thrilled with their new second-line centre. Kesler has long been the apple of GM Bob Murray’s eye and Anaheim very nearly pried him away from Vancouver at the trade deadline last season.

Kesler waived a no-trade clause to make it happen and feels like he’s got a great chance to win a championship. However, he says it’s too soon to gauge how this team compares to some of the great Vancouver ones he played for in the past.

“We’re just going to take it in stride and have fun with it,” said Kesler. “You need a lot to go right to win. It’s a long season and right now we’re playing well. Hopefully we can continue that.”

He’s found some pleasant surprises inside the Anaheim dressing room.

“I didn’t know about their young guys,” he said. “Obviously when you hear about the Ducks you think (Ryan) Getzlaf and (Corey) Perry and (Francois) Beauchemin. But I didn’t know too much about their young guys and they’ve really impressed me so far.

“We’re a deep young team.”

His most valuable asset for the team is strong defensive play — not to mention having another big centre to employ against tough Western Conference opponents. Boudreau is already enjoying that luxury and only expects Kesler to get better with time.

“I’m sure there are things still in his game that he reverts back to and goes ‘Oh geez we don’t do that here,”‘ said Boudreau. “You know, or ‘I used to do that there and we’ve changed.’

“But for the most part, even though the offensive numbers aren’t there, he’s been very good. And one of the main reasons is I can put him and Getzlaf out on different lines and we’ve been very good defensively because our matchups have been (favourable).”

Life is good here.

They’ve now spent a couple months in California and he’s hardly been recognized.

“A couple people here and there, but nothing like Vancouver,” said Kesler.

I don't really blame the guy. He hasn't been able to have an autonomous life since he was a teenager.

I would get kind of sick of it eventually too.

First prediction this year...maybe my last

Ducks 5 Canucks 2

Kes ventilates Lack, shuts down the twins and puts KB3 through the glass.

Hope i'm wrong.

GO CANUCKS GO!

The Sedins will exploit him, they know his weaknesses and will make him look like a fool. Kesler won't go near Bieksa if he wants to live.

One thing I noticed was that if Vey was still with LA, he would not have been able to crack the LA's lineup as a center. And, I think he is not good enough as a center (at least not yet) to play against teams that are deep at center like LA or even Anaheim.

If Vrbata is not fit to go,

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Higgins-Bonino-Vey

Matthias-Horvat-Burrows

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Send Horvat out against Getzlaf for a few shifts, let's see how he does. Also, Kesler against the Sedins will be another viewing point.

I like this line-up. Vey has excellent offensive instincts to go with good hands, a good shot, and good passing ability. But this is pretty much his game.He is not strong defensively and does not contribute to the physical game.

In yesterday's game the first LA goal came about because Vey iced the puck instead of muscling the puck across across center before shooting it down the ice. He then lost the face-off against Kopitar and was standing around when LA scored. None of those plays were "bad" defensive plays, but a better defensive player could have i) avoided the icing, ii) won the faceoff, iii) won a puck battle against Kopitar (his check) to get the puck in the defensive zone or iv) blocked the initial shot by Martinez. And of course Vey is not good in the faceoff circle,

To be a regular on a good team Vey needs to score enough to be in the top 6. Right now, his PPG is above 0.5, which is the baseline needed to justify a top 6 spot. And if he played top 6 his point total might increase.

I like Vey as RW on the second line and moving Burrows to the third line wing. A third line with Horvat and Burrows (and Matthias or Hansen) could be a legiitmate shutdown line and I think Vey is probably better offensively on the second line. And having Horvat take faceoffs instead of Vey has to an improvement. I am not sure Horvat is ready but he is close and obviously his game is well-suited to a bottom-6 center role. And that is encouraging for a guy who is only 19.

Archived