The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Boom] Ballard Hip Check on Corey Perry

AriGold

I like Ballard & his hits(mostly), but I think the league needs to address this.

Would be pretty frustrating to lose one of our stars in this manner. In Perry's case(as a vet) little surprised he'd try to blow past Ballard, near the boards. We've all seen this movie before.

The NHL needs to clarify(probably after adjusting) the legalities of the hip check. For guys who hit too low, there should be lengthier suspensions.

Likely the Ana media will be portraying Ballard as today's Marchment..He's prob getting a bad rap(or rep?) on this one.

The thing is, Ballard is only 5'11" so when he tries to hipcheck a guy like Perry who is 6'3", he's bound to be low. Adding further to the height disparity is Ballard's skating style, which is very low as well.

I don't know if the league will look at it or not, but it looks pretty low and dangerous.

I wonder if anyone has a vid of that old Ballard hip check that he got penalized for back in the day (clipping I think the refs called it)?

Would be interesting to compare the two.

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znuYertkcX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxSHpP4og_g

To me, it's kind of Perry's fault for dragging his leg which resulted in his knee getting hurt. All other hip checks from Ballard usually don't result in an injury except for this one time where Perry hung his left knee.

I like Ballard & his hits(mostly), but I think the league needs to address this.

Would be pretty frustrating to lose one of our stars in this manner. In Perry's case(as a vet) little surprised he'd try to blow past Ballard, near the boards. We've all seen this movie before.

The NHL needs to clarify(probably after adjusting) the legalities of the hip check. For guys who hit too low, there should be lengthier suspensions.

Likely the Ana media will be portraying Ballard as today's Marchment..He's prob getting a bad rap(or rep?) on this one.

I don't know; what if it was frickin Chara? By default nobody would then be allowed to hit Chara cuz any hit gets his knee.

I am all for taking a away an intentional head shot or using a shoulder to hit a knee (submarine) when a skate is planted also is another obvious no no. Marchand used his shoulders to hit Salo's knee who's skate was planted.

I am not sure I want to give away the hip check. Perry tried to squeak through. He did get it in the knee. If, knowing the hit was coming which he did, Perry met him body to body his size would have made this a dull issue or even punished Ballard. But instead he tried to squeak through.

Same with Marchand in the other play. Just a few seconds before he met Salo shoulder to shoulder. Then gave him a shot to the back of the head as they dispersed and submarined him the next Go. Thats different, and it was intentional.

Ya know; good for Perry for trying to get past a check and make a play. But good on Ballard for finishing the check. And I hope Perry is ok, but there are casualties in a physical sport!

To me, it's kind of Perry's fault for dragging his leg which resulted in his knee getting hurt. All other hip checks from Ballard usually don't result in an injury except for this one time where Perry hung his left knee.

Ballard also injured Wallin and took out Kopecky from most of the blackhawks series when he was a Canuck.

Man i miss his hipchecks

Technically a hip check is supposed to be hip to hip, not hip to knee/thigh. This is a bit lower than his others so I'll say it's borderline rather than proclaiming it legal out of A.) hatred for Perry, or B.) love for Ballard/any former Canuck.

I do miss a good hip check though.

I don't know; what if it was frickin Chara? By default nobody would then be allowed to hit Chara cuz any hit gets his knee.

I am all for taking a away an intentional head shot or using a shoulder to hit a knee (submarine) when a skate is planted also is another obvious no no. Marchand used his shoulders to hit Salo's knee who's skate was planted.

I am not sure I want to give away the hip check. Perry tried to squeak through. He did get it in the knee. If, knowing the hit was coming which he did, Perry met him body to body his size would have made this a dull issue or even punished Ballard. But instead he tried to squeak through.

Same with Marchand in the other play. Just a few seconds before he met Salo shoulder to shoulder. Then gave him a shot to the back of the head as they dispersed and submarined him the next Go. Thats different, and it was intentional.

Ya know; good for Perry for trying to get past a check and make a play. But good on Ballard for finishing the check. And I hope Perry is ok, but there are casualties in a physical sport!

After watching Marchand's hit AGAIN on Salo, that is the definition of dirty.

People seem to be confused about the height of the hits, yet it is clear as mud. Ballard's hits are slightly above the knee. Marchand was at the knee level.

Marchand's a smaller guy, keep in mind, which meant he made an even lower drop to make that hit.

Marchand was suspended and was called out by Shanahan as such.

Ballard's hits = clean

Marchand = dirty.

After watching Marchand's hit AGAIN on Salo, that is the definition of dirty.

People seem to be confused about the height of the hits, yet it is clear as mud. Ballard's hits are slightly above the knee. Marchand was at the knee level.

Marchand's a smaller guy, keep in mind, which meant he made an even lower drop to make that hit.

Marchand was suspended and was called out by Shanahan as such.

Ballard's hits = clean

Marchand = dirty.

The way Marchand gets a couple of cheap punches to the back of Salo's head before the play, does the clip, then hides behind Chara who blocks for him when the Canucks challenge Marchand... it's just embarrassing to watch. Sums up in a single play what type of coward Marchand really is.

The way the NHL is trending with Head injuries etc. I am surprised hip checking hasn't had much debate (Or I am not aware of it at least)

Some hip checks look brutal and could do a lot of damage with awkward landings. I bet a lot of NHL players would rather take their helmet off when going in for a scrap than be on the receiving end of a hip check.

Archived