The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen and Horvat both look like they're not ready yet.

Dazzle

Clearly a troll thread

I don't know why so many people are negative about the OP. He raises a good point. First, apart from one 3 point night, Horvat has not contributed much to the scoresheet. He is a good defensive forward and is good on faceoffs and is certainly the best option the Canucks have at the 4C position. And that is very good for a 19-year old.

But he is not exactly lighting up the league the way some other young players are. Horvat looks like someone who will develop into a good two-way forward but he could max out as a good 3C/ PK kind of guy. I favor loaning him to Canadian team for the world juniors as I would like to see him get more freedom to emphasize his offensive game for a couple of weeks.

And Jensen is developing more slowly that most of us would have hoped or expected. He has not yet shown he belongs at the NHL level, At age 21 he is still young but he is also still a big question mark.

Let me preface this that regardless of what happened this game, neither of these two are sparkling in the way that Gaudreau and Monahan are doing for Calgary. Maybe this isn't fair to compare them like that, but I think the emphasis should be on giving Horvat/Jensen more time to develop.

Horvat's an amazing faceoff man, but aside from the 3 point game that he had, he's cooled down. I think that his NHL games that he's played so far will be wonderful for Juniors/WJC. It's my personal opinion that he should be sent down. Horvat is going to be a great player one day, so it's time to be patient and not rush him. Don't let him be like Draitsaitl.

As for Jensen, he was practically invisible the entire game, though Jensen did make an attempt on the breakaway. For a more developed prospect, I think there's more expectation on the part of Jensen to be making more of an impact.

Due to injuries right now, it's time to see what they're capable of. But maybe they need to be given more time to develop in the lower leagues.

Because I'm not knowledgable about prospect development, I want to ask this:

Jensen's been highly regarded by scouts in the past as being mature for his age (which I don't doubt) and that he's been playing with men, thus making him more NHL ready than the other. What's causing him to lose pace right now?

In the call-ups in the past (and this recent one, though it's only one game), his game seems to be lackluster. Jensen is/was doing well in the AHL though. His skill is there, but Horvat has 'made the cut' for the NHL before he has. I remember Jensen being severely overplayed in the WJC for Denmark; he was the best player for them by far that the coach had no choice but to play him. It seems frustrating to not see that dominance from him.

The spot that a prospect holds on any depth chart is relative to the other players on the roster (that's an obvious statement, so apologies for being Captain Obvious). Just speculating here, but if they were on the Flames roster, I would bet Jensen and Horvat would get more ice time than they are receiving on the Canucks roster.

Horvat is plenty ready for the NHL -- he has no problems keeping up with the speed and is a killer on the face-offs. Since his 10th game, he's been more physical and has had good looks offensively. IMO, it's only a matter of time that he's going to cash in on his chances. I'd be all for Horvat going to WJC only so that he can be given the opportunity to play 20 minutes a game and build up some offensive momentum for his return back to the Canucks.

Jensen is only a second year N. American pro. Why are there such high expectations for a 21 year old? He showed that he's got NHL speed and I thought he was one of the bright spots on the a tired Canucks team yesterday vs. the Sens. He made one turnover inside our blue line and that was his only noticeable mistake...so time in the press box and practising with the big club has merits for a kid like Jensen. He's got NHL size, speed and skill. He just needs to think the game like an NHLer. IMO, he's pretty close, but back to my original obvious statement -- who does he displace off the roster at this time? In the absence of injuries, I would say no one.

Personally, I'd rather have Horvat on the fourth line than expect him to be anything more than that at this point in time...I'd rather have Jensen as a depth guy than rushing him onto the second or third line expecting him to produce like Gaudreau or Monahan. We have the luxury of bringing these prospects into the line up slowly. Why not embrace it and appreciate that we don't have to do what the Oilers are doing?

Last time I checked, as with all things in life, luxury is better than necessity.

Horvat is ready, Jensen needs a little more time in the AHL and will be ready next time. Give him this entire year in the AHL to dominate down there. Same with Corrado.

In the meantime, give brief call ups to Defazio, Archibald, Kenins, etc.

I don't know why so many people are negative about the OP. He raises a good point. First, apart from one 3 point night, Horvat has not contributed much to the scoresheet. He is a good defensive forward and is good on faceoffs and is certainly the best option the Canucks have at the 4C position. And that is very good for a 19-year old.

But he is not exactly lighting up the league the way some other young players are. Horvat looks like someone who will develop into a good two-way forward but he could max out as a good 3C/ PK kind of guy. I favor loaning him to Canadian team for the world juniors as I would like to see him get more freedom to emphasize his offensive game for a couple of weeks.

And Jensen is developing more slowly that most of us would have hoped or expected. He has not yet shown he belongs at the NHL level, At age 21 he is still young but he is also still a big question mark.

I don't think we have to worry about Horvat at all, Jensen on the other hand definitely needs some seasoning.

I think that this thread has produced some really good discussion so far. It's not a troll thread, though I think it brings out some trolls in an attempt to derail the thread.

I wasn't bashing either of the players and I was more forgiving of Horvat because he does bring the other intangibles to the game (the penalty he took was fine). I didn't think he was having any problems fitting in, though it feels like he could be better served in Junior.

Jensen, on the other hand, seems like he's a little slower on development. He's not really been given some fair shots, I admit. I think he'll be a good player one day, but it seems like he's been hindered on this team. He hasn't shown much so far, despite playing some more NHL games than Horvat.

I don't think a couple extra minutes would kill Horvat. I think he can more than handle it actually. If Curtis Lazar same age and same draft year on Ottawa can get 12 minutes a night than Horvat should too.

I think he will start getting more minutes on one of the pk units because of his face off prowess. Offensively unlike others I am not expecting a whole lot from him playing on the 4th line with grinders and with so few minutes right now.

It's not about handling it, it's about having to take those mins from a veteran. Who sacrifices those extra 2-3 mins? Hank, Bonino or Richardson?

I'd send Horvat to the W.J.C. just to keep him in game mode and to let him play in more offensive situations, as others have suggested. Really do think it's a good idea for him to get minutes where he can look to make confident plays to players who he can be confident can capitalize on his efforts.

Jensen's got good wheels, would love to see him in an offensive role on the 2nd. He also wasn't burned defensively while he had two quality shots yesterday and played more than 10 minutes, which is good for a rookie call-up.

Lastly, :frantic::frantic::frantic: Here comes the Spider-man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o29VoxtsFk

Yes, Horvat is not ready when he's 19 and already making plays like this:

By playing the role he is currently playing and getting his feet wet at the NHL level, Horvat will be a year ahead of his development and likely be able to handle the third line role next year and get about 30 points. What he's doing for a 19 year old defensively is simply amazing. The guy will be a stud no doubt about it, but expecting him to put up points at 19 with 10 mins of ice time is ridiculous. That's neither realistic nor is it expected of him. Bo as is, currently fits a huge team need and OP obviously doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Sorry, but it's true.

It's not about handling it, it's about having to take those mins from a veteran. Who sacrifices those extra 2-3 mins? Hank, Bonino or Richardson?

Was thinking some pk time for Horvat. Bonino is getting the pk time right now but has not been great at face offs.

I would want Bonino to focus on scoring event though he is a solid 2 way player in his own right.

Would use Richardson and Horvat as the two centers for the pk teams.

I think they're both ready, and if anything need more of an opportunity to show their stuff.

Jensen started the game very strong and looked like Matthias out there with his speed and size, but was far more confident. He had 3 great scoring opportunities but then really disappeared once the penalties started rolling and he had to sit on the bench. I want to see more from him because Jensen looked big and confident out there which is a good sign.

Horvat has been fantastic (barring the stupid tripping penalty last night). Obviously he's been sound in his own zone, he's got a 58% on the face-offs which is easily best on the team (and second in the NHL to only Malhotra) and his big body causes defenders a lot of woes when he's forechecking behind the net. I think we need to work him into the PK slowly.

These two kids are our future and we're lucky they're showing good signs. They're not going to learn much more in the AHL, now they've got to develop in the NHL with 10 minutes a night.

While I can understand the hesitation to suggest they are ready to play in the NHL, the alternatives are not as good, and we need to know if they are going to be players in the next 3 years. Only way to know is to get them playing in the NHL. It's such a small sample size, but I expect that a different tune will be sung in a few years.

Haven't seen Jensen much, I seem to always miss the games he's played but regardless it must be a bit tough or uncomfortable slotting into the lineup when the rest of the team/lines have been working thus far. If Jensen had more time in the lineup and more time to get used the the players he plays with no doubt he would be more effective.

As for Horvat, he has done well. Winning faceoffs, a few nice points, good playmaking abilities thus far. Not to mention he has played on the 4th line, and has had a task of playing agaisnt some high-end Centre's such as Toews, Kesler, etc. He was not expected to be a guy to be a sniper, and get 70pts. I think he has played perfectly fine for a guy in his first year. He's played better than others tbh.

Archived