The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Matthias make Kassian redundant?

HC20.0

Shawn Matthias. 26 years old 374 games played 118 points. Almost all in the ultra weak south east division and playing pp time and top 6 minutes at times on the Florida Panthers. UFA at seasons end could just basically walk

Zack Kassian. 24 years 1 week old 181 games played 55 points. All in the bottom 6 with no PP time and 3rd and 4th line time and line mates. We own this kid no threat of walking anytime soon

Just food for thought when speaking of redundancy. Looking at ice time, starts age point totals and how those points were obtained as well as upcoming player status for contracts.

Totally misleading. Matthias played with FLORIDA and mostly on their 4th line. Kassian played with an elite team for most of his time in the NHL. sometimes on the top line, often on the 2nd and sometimes on the 3rd.

I don't think the players are similar at all. I agree that Matthias does everything we WERE TOLD Kassian would do but doesn't.

However I think we should accept Kassian more as a playmaker. He seems unhappy being in front of the net or constantly driving to the net and seems to prefer the open spaces where he can create. His talent is not in question. A fully involved Kassian would make a hell of a difference to the team.

I wonder if Kassian to Mtl could fly? Seems they're always looking for another lunkhead, & Weisy worked out nicely.

Kassian & Lack

Tokarski & their 2015 1st?

het again another dumb goalie idea mmm canucks dont need goalies bro get it through your head we have miller lack and markstrom who all are better than montreals backup plus demko will be our starter in 3 yrs maybe kassian and weber for their 1st

Can never have enough power forwards.

Kass isn't redundant, but inconsistent.

It's all about his play, not how many guys we have with size.

In a case of redundancy you should always lose the older and more expensive player. This is what the Hawks have been doing for years and it's worked quite well for them.

As for us, we're in a rebuild phase, so there should be a movement to sell valued UFA's for picks coming fairly quickly here. If i'm Benning, i'm doing it right now, before he goes down to injury as well.

btw, Anyone notice that Buffalo's and Edmonton's attendance figures have remained steady over these years?

Go Blow! :P

Did anyone notice that Arthur Griffiths went bankrupt? Or that our team could have been move when it lost over $50 mill in less than 3 years, straddling when Burke and new ownership arrived... I'm not, or ever buying that we can get away with a tank policy to resolve our difficulties. If that is the inference?

As to the less inflated suggestion of moving Mathias. No problem; if we are out of it at the deadline...

there's absolutely nothing wrong with Kass' defensive game. He's actually quite a good defensive player.

Nothing?

He's not a poor defensive player. Thats not my suggestion. He back checks, isn't out of position often at all and his puck skills help us head the other way when we get the puck. The question is about getting the puck!

It's important because our system with Willie, like AV's, is based on defensive pressure. Its why Burrows and Hansen have rebounded this year. Why Dorsett is a demi god. Mathias has bought in. Vey is inconsistent, and its the key denominator as well. Kassian's game is not exactly based on puck pursuit. Nor does he seem to get this is what is being asked of him as a defensive player?

Quote me on it; If and when Kassian starts to hound the puck will determine how long he is a Canuck!

Totally misleading. Matthias played with FLORIDA and mostly on their 4th line .(False he started on the 4th line but spent most of his playing in FLA split between the 2nd and mostly 3rd lines) Kassian played with an elite team for most of his time in the NHL. sometimes on the top line, often on the 2nd and sometimes on the 3rd. (When did Kassian EVER spend significant time on the 2nd line let alone any amount of time on the 1st?)

I don't think the players are similar at all. I agree that Matthias does everything we WERE TOLD Kassian would do but doesn't. (When has Matthias ever fought someone delivered an awesome check or scared people with his size alone?)

However I think we should accept Kassian more as a playmaker. He seems unhappy being in front of the net or constantly driving to the net and seems to prefer the open spaces where he can create. His talent is not in question. A fully involved Kassian would make a hell of a difference to the team.

I agree Kassian might not be a proto typical PWF. I think by and large he just needs to be allowed to play the kind of game he knows how to play.

Kassian's 5 points in 25 games and -9 may not make him redundant, but it certainly makes him replaceable. His value is getting lower by the day.

If they don't trade him now, then the return will be far less than when they finally do decide to trade him next year.

Archived