The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Close to Another Deal?

Robongo

I have a feeling that Benning has contacted Burrows and he agreed to waive his NTC. And the deal is with Lack Burrows and somep pick or other pieces to a playoff team for a decent young forward or defenseman.

Lack, Burrows, Jensen, 2nd for Seth Jones and their 1st

I'm a little ocd about checking it too lol. Spent an hour and a half catching up on posts this morning after only being away from the same posts for 8 hours as I slept lol. I'm at work atm tho so it helps. Can't wait til more happens. I predicted 2-3 trades before the deadline a few weeks ago. I got a feeling 1-2 more deal may fly wil see. We might have what we need for the team for the most part. Will c what happens lol :) just another 10,000 refreshes lol

Every move Benning makes there is a domino affect. So I expect a trade the the coming days. So speculating is fun

Nashville would be a great trade partner. Theyre a team thats in a good playoff postion, but Rinne just got injured. Hopefully Benning could take advantage of that and make a Lack+ for Ekholm. Another possible route is trading Sbisa to Flames or Colorado (at the deadline) for some picks.

Flames have no need for Sbisa, not worth even a low round pick to us, Colorado on the other hand may take a flyer

Bishop in Tampa is a superstar, no?

Its about scouting, procuring and acquiring high talent players who are near NHL ready. After that, sometimes its hard to tell who can make the adjustment, be just as effective against 6'3'' world class athletes, coached by the worlds best coaches > as compared to letting their talent do it for them in junior. Or a minor league...?

Yzerman is currently the best at it. Before he acquired talented goalie prospect Bishop, he acquired talented goalie prospect Lindback. And drafted talented Vasilevsiky. Then when Lindback did not work out and Vasy was not ready, he repeated the process because he still needed a goalie! And traded for talented Bishop. And he has repeated the process in other positions by signing Johnson. Drafting Killorn, Palat, Namestnikov. There is an ongoing process of identifying & acquiring high talent, low cost prospects. It does not mean all will work out.

Sbisa, Vey, Clendening all qualify and suggest Benning is working hard at this process as well. And they all filled specific holes in our talent pool just like a goaltender in Tampa. If he continues on this path for the three or 4 years Yzerman has been running the Bolts; we will have a laundry list of good young players just like Tampa. And some of them will evolve and provide the lift the team needs. Ahem; just like Tampa.

And did anyone notice that Johnson has more points than Stamkos? Bishop has been a Vezina candidate? You CAN find the top line talent CDC pundits are craving this way. When said pundits having nothing more to offer than to call for tanking to get ''generational'' talent.

Great point, and I agree with nearly all of it, so this is just a post to add my thoughts on this topic. I think we are on a great path as well (with the process that you elaborated on), but I think the key difference is that it will take us longer because we are missing more franchise "backbone" pieces.

Tampa did start their rebuild/re-tool out with two lottery picks in Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman. IMO, their team is built around these two and Bishop: the franchise center, franchise defenseman, and franchise goaltender. These three positions are the "backbone" of the team, and are pre-requisites to having a championship contending team IMO. In Tampa, they were only missing the goalie, and they acquired it while building the team around Stamkos and Hedmen.

Just like Tampa, we have two aging star forwards in the Sedins. However, we are missing a franchise center to replace them. We are starting out with Alex Edler as our franchise defenseman - he may not be as fancy as some of the others, but he is a good enough piece to build around IMO and perhaps someone down the road will take his place (we will have to go through the "process"). It looks like we have a goaltender relatively soon in Markstrom and Demko for the future.

The closest thing we have to a franchise center is McCann. Evidently, it's never a good idea to bank on just one prospect to be the franchise piece unless it is a lottery pick and a sure thing like Stamkos or Hedman. It would be nice if we add more in that regard through the draft to ensure that we are secure down the middle once the Sedins retire. At the same time, we need secure a franchise defenseman through the draft, so it'll be interesting who we take with our 1st rounder this year. It would be amazing if they can secure another 1st round pick and grab one of each (of course, BPA at each position is ideal but we'll have to see).

But because we are not tanking, and because we don't have a center nor defenseman of a true franchise "backbone" calibre (and we might have goaltending but it's unproven), I think our rebuild/retool may take longer than Tampa's. We will need more players to go through the process to find our 1C and 1D (whereas Tampa only needed Stamkos and Hedman), and hope that our 1G is solved by Markstrom right now and Demko in the future.

Nicolas Bo Hunter,

He will come back to bite us, the honey badger will disappear into his hole.

Last year:

Kassian had his first four point game against his former team as the Canucks beat the Buffalo Sabres 4-2

He has 7 or 8 points in 3 or 4 games against his old team including one assist Friday night.

Kassian has the potential to develop into a young Hartnell, Steward or Ladd

Ehrhoff was a hurried cap dump but Gillis really made his name known by making Wilson look like an idiot. Great pick up by Gillis but set his stinky karma in motion big time.

Maybe he puffed out his chest a little too much.

But it was a cap dump. Wilson just needed someone to take on the contract and absorb $2 or $3 mill at that moment... When you think about it, you should provide a pretty decent asset when you want them to take on $3 mill in real dollars they were not campaigning for.

At face value; we got ripped off on Garrison because we wanted to dump his contract. And it had to be done somewhere Jason would waive his NTC to, It's lost in the shuffle because Benning made good use of the cap space.

At the end of the day, you cannot cry when you choose to make a deal with no leverage. And take a bit of a hammering. You just have to make it part of a viable bigger picture.

Gillis himself got caught without leverage himself on numerous occasions. With Lou, with Ballard, with Booth, with Raymond, with Schneider. He let the bigger picture make an ass of him.

I should interject and state that no one should trust Taj1944!!!

The guy is a twitter douche who invents false rumors just to get a reaction off this very site. Just check his feed and responses to his buddy's from which he is openly laughing at your reactions. I don't understand why anyone would lend credence to a random twitter poster. Please move on guys.

As per another deal taking place, it's possible if not likely. Trader Jim has stated openly he wants a top 6 forward, and really if we are making a playoff push something has to be done concerning our offence.

The Clendening trade accomplished a few things, namely shoring up our defense prospects and helping the powerplay. We still need a winger to play with Bonino, preferably one that can score. Benning has a track record of going after guys stuck in contract situations or clogged in the depth chart. Our prospective top 6 trade will likely see a young player coming this way, with one of our prospects going back; as Benning did state he would trade prospects for someone more NHL ready.

Archived