The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie a Candidate for Jack Adams

jackknife

I think there is an unwritten rule that after as many too many men PIMs as we have any nomination is scrubbed. The acquisition of Miller offset the loss of Luongo in an instant.

I do like how we have a few more young players in the lineup this year compared to years past, but as you mentioned that is mostly due to injuries.

I would wait 3-4 more weeks before the nomination as the stretch drive to the playoffs is where this team will be tested the most.

This was exactly my first thought when I read the thread title lol. I like W.D. a lot, especially the style of hockey he wants the Canucks to play, but he needs to clean up his in-game management a little. Bench minors and timely time-outs can have huge impacts on playoff games and ultimately the series. He's doing pretty good for a rookie but not Jack Adams level yet for me.

It seems to be the new guy that turns his so-so team into a winning team that gets the trophy every year. It seems to be about who improves his team the most from the previous year that gets the nod.

But I'd be pretty satisfied with him being even nominated for the trophy with how some of the guys have turned their teams around this year... Hoping for the best!

Coaches get far too much blame for too many men penalties but they do bear some of the responsibility. It is not always 100% the players fault.

Yep, that's why I said almost. Unless WD isn't being clear who he is calling for the lines, the players are the ones dropping the ball jumping early. What could mitigate some too many men penalties is playing the puck away from the bench area during a line change. That seems to be the times when it gets called the most.

It seems to be the new guy that turns his so-so team into a winning team that gets the trophy every year. It seems to be about who improves his team the most from the previous year that gets the nod.

But I'd be pretty satisfied with him being even nominated for the trophy with how some of the guys have turned their teams around this year... Hoping for the best!

Yea that appears to be the formula for winning. Similar to the Hart, the trophy isn't given out for the reasons it should.

WD has a chance, but only if key players like Miller and Edler are out long term and we make the playoffs in the 2nd or 3rd seed in the division.

I disagree 100%. Look at how last year played out and then look at this year. He turned thins team completely around. The only coach i can see winning over dssjardins is the Predators coach and maybr Hartley

Benning played a huge role. The main difference I see from last year is our renewed depth. Torts had a bottom 6 consisting of AHLers. And a rookie tender.

Yep, that's why I said almost. Unless WD isn't being clear who he is calling for the lines, the players are the ones dropping the ball jumping early. What could mitigate some too many men penalties is playing the puck away from the bench area during a line change. That seems to be the times when it gets called the most.

I have noticed other teams tend to throw the puck there once they see the canucks starting a change. Smart by them bad for the canucks.

I also notice that sometimes the player going to the bench goes reasonably hardback only to seriously slow down further away from the bench than they should. This could also contribute to the guys coming on jumping the gun a little bit.

I think Willie should be at least a candidate for the Jack Adams award. The way that Willie has dealt with injuries, how he was able to get previously cold players (Burrows, Kassian, Edler) to recover is amazing. Furthermore, he made the right decision to let Horvat stay, and just look at him now. Finally, we are a team in contention for the playoffs after letting Luongo and Kesler go. He also did not start a goalie controversy, which is the greatest achievement for any Canucks coach :P

Being CDC, people will bound to disagree. Yes we had a horrible year last year, and any recovery from Torts will look great. That said, it often takes a new coach some time to figure out what's going on before improving the team(Examples: Trotz, Berube). The fact that we never really was out of the playoff picture shows consistency for the new coach. Yes, we also had new players signed. But is Vrbata better than Kesler? Is Miller better than Luongo? Finally, someone will say Laviolette is willing the Jack Adams anyway, and this is pointless discussion. I honestly think Poile deserves more credit for the acquisition of Neal, Ribeiro, and Forsberg.

Actually it was Benning that decided Horvat would stay. Willie said himself he wasn't sold on Bo staying but was glad JB make that call.

Actually it was Benning that decided Horvat would stay. Willie said himself he wasn't sold on Bo staying but was glad JB make that call.

I'm sure Willie's learning just like everyone else is. It's his first time coaching in the NHL. I'm pretty sure he'll adapt and get better. A good coach is always learning afterall.

Actually if you compared last year and this year at the end of January, we would probably be fairly close. We started stumbling in February last year.

Last year was an exception, this team was better than 25th overall. WD brought back Vancouver where it should be, which is in the middle of the pack, fighting for a playoff spot. So I agree with the guy you quote, he hasn't done anything spectacular.

Nashville doesn't have a better team than us on paper, but Laviollette brought them to a 6 pts lead for President Trophy so far. That is spectacular.

Hartley with the Flames, that is also spectacular (giving they make the playoffs)

Capuano to bring the Islander to a top 4 teams in the East, that is spectacular as well.

WD has been good, but don't think he deserve it way more than others like Cooper, Trotz, Therrien, who are in consideration but not the favorites IMO.

Agreed. If the competitors for the Adams trophy were like Torts then Willie would win hands down. But there are much stronger contenders out there. Willie has done a good job, but he is not in the top 3.

Let us see the teams that were in the dirt last year and are now fighting for a playoff spot this year:

Florida, Calgary, Islanders, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Nashville, and Washington. This order goes from the worst last year to the best.

Let's see their rankings right now this year:

1. Nashville - 87

5. Islanders - 80

10. Washington - 76

12. Vancouver - 71

13. Winnipeg - 71

16. Calgary - 68

19. Florida - 64

These teams have taken themselves to another level. All the coaches deserve a round of applause. Florida was second last last year and now they are just out of a playoff spot. Calgary was 27th. Vancouver was 25th and the Islanders were 26th.

Right now, here is who I would award the trophy to:

Capuano - NYI - Definitely made the biggest turnaround of every team in the league.

The runner up would be:

Laviolette - Nashville - Huge change and now 6 points in lead of the league.

My third place would be a hard choice. If Florida makes the playoffs, it would be their coach. If Florida doesn't, and Calgary does, it would be the Flames coach, and if Canucks stay where they are in the standings and both Florida and Calgary drop out, I would choose him as third.

There are so many deserving coaches this year, but these are my top 3:

Peter Laviolette (turning NSH into the #1 team in the league)

Jack Capuano (turning NYI into a respectable + playoff team)

Barry Trotz (Alex Ovechkin's extreme make-over)

Honourable mentions to:

Bob Hartley (taking a rebuilding team into playoff conversation)

Willie Desjardins (taking a team in shambles and building an identity + culture)

Paul Maurice (taking the Jets into playoff conversation)

I think Willie should be at least a candidate for the Jack Adams award. The way that Willie has dealt with injuries, how he was able to get previously cold players (Burrows, Kassian, Edler) to recover is amazing. Furthermore, he made the right decision to let Horvat stay, and just look at him now. Finally, we are a team in contention for the playoffs after letting Luongo and Kesler go. He also did not start a goalie controversy, which is the greatest achievement for any Canucks coach :P

Being CDC, people will bound to disagree. Yes we had a horrible year last year, and any recovery from Torts will look great. That said, it often takes a new coach some time to figure out what's going on before improving the team(Examples: Trotz, Berube). The fact that we never really was out of the playoff picture shows consistency for the new coach. Yes, we also had new players signed. But is Vrbata better than Kesler? Is Miller better than Luongo? Finally, someone will say Laviolette is willing the Jack Adams anyway, and this is pointless discussion. I honestly think Poile deserves more credit for the acquisition of Neal, Ribeiro, and Forsberg.

I've been pretty happy with the team's success and he is definitely part of it. I haven't liked the handling of Kassian, the bench management issues with too many men penalties and the PP or lack thereof at times. I am pleased with the fact the team hasn't folded its' tent despite the infestation of injuries. The coach has done a good job of having his team ready in most cases.

Too much competition for him this year as a bunch of teams hired new coaches and turned their teams from basement dwellers to contenders.

Besides, I don't mind us flying under the radar. The better you are, the harder you have to play to be at the top. Back in 2010-2013, every team we played put on their best hockey against us because we were the best team in the league (even after we weren't that anymore). We were the benchmark teams measured themselves against. It made winning that much harder when everyone wants to prove themselves against you. That's no longer the case.

So yeah, I won't mind at all if WD doesn't win the Jack Adams.

Archived