The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens acquire Smith-Pelly from Ducks for Jiri Sekac

elchupacabra

Don't why everyone is so high on Sekac. IMO he's is just a younger version of Brunnstrom, Brunner.

Was unknown, then suddenly has good season overseas and everyone jumps at him like he's a savior.

Smith-Pelly adds size for Montreal for the playoffs. Habs rolls 4 balanced lines and DSP can play pretty much on everyone of them.

Not sure how the Ducks won this yet.

Both young players and both still have a lot to prove.

DSP is a small tank who just keeps putting up better numbers and skates very well. in the Habs line up he's exactly what they needed to roll over teams and has top 2 potential.

Might I add sooooo many people over the last 2 seasons were begging GMMG to find a way to get him and Etem no matter what.

Sekac is good enough I guess but he's not exactly a beast. What has he done really yet? He's all the potential and creativity to succeed but he's far from lighting the league up yet.

Time will tell for these two teams who won. But, when everyone keeps saying that you need size and toughness to compete in 4 rounds of the playoffs, the Habs just got stronger. The Ducks just got smaller

*Edit** Stats show DSP and Sekac are actually basically exactly the same in point production this year, while DSP in his first full stint in the league was a .52 PPG player.

Currently equal trade but really, for playoffs Habs walk away the winner

DSP is a small tank who just keeps putting up better numbers and skates very well. in the Habs line up he's exactly what they needed to roll over teams and has top 2 potential.

Might I add sooooo many people over the last 2 seasons were begging GMMG to find a way to get him and Etem no matter what.

Sekac is good enough I guess but he's not exactly a beast. What has he done really yet? He's all the potential and creativity to succeed but he's far from lighting the league up yet.

Time will tell for these two teams who won. But, when everyone keeps saying that you need size and toughness to compete in 4 rounds of the playoffs, the Habs just got stronger. The Ducks just got smaller

*Edit** Stats show DSP and Sekac are actually basically exactly the same in point production this year, while DSP in his first full stint in the league was a .52 PPG player.

This

You can put me down in the Habs won this trade column.

The players are very comparable talent wise I would say its a wash maybe slight edge to Sekac However the Canadians need a DSP type player more than Anaheim really has a need for Sekac. They are both good players but when push comes to shove DSP has more shove. Good depth move for MTL.

I agree totally, but I think it was a good hockey trade for both teams. The Ducks could afford to give up some size and grit for some speed and creativity and the Habs could afford to give up some speed and creativity for some size and grit. Neither team really sacrifices offense, so it comes down to the intangibles that both teams need.

I'd call this one even, for now.

I think Sekac will be the better player when all is said and done, however a solid move for Montreal to add a player who is further along in development and can contribute on a nightly basis and provide what Montreal needs. Solid trade for the Canadiens to add a piece they need for the present and which won't hurt them down the road. Long term Anaheim may have a bigger producer however.

This move should tell fans the Canadiens are solidifying their roster for a deep Playoff run.

Archived