a season is a marathon

i want to see how lack has done after we have played 12 games without miller

that'll give lack 9 - 10 starts, markstrom 2 or 3

unless lack slides a bit and markstrom plays well

it's way too soon to know anything yet

all we know from last year is that when lack is overworked

he does not perform as well

perhaps that is what we saw tonight

what separates a very good goalie from goalies who are sometimes good or even sometimes spectacular

is a high level of play over a longer period of time

that is a #1 goalie

presently on our team there is only one such goalie... miller

people on here who are so quick to diss him miss that fact about him

Are you suggesting that he has been overworked this year?

so many on here are

on and off whatever player bandwagon is in vogue

lack was not good tonight but very good last 2 games

a season is a marathon

i want to see how lack has done after we have played 12 games without miller

that'll give lack 9 - 10 starts, markstrom 2 or 3

unless lack slides a bit and markstrom plays well

it's way too soon to know anything yet

all we know from last year is that when lack is overworked

he does not perform as well

perhaps that is what we saw tonight

what separates a very good goalie from goalies who are sometimes good or even sometimes spectacular

is a high level of play over a longer period of time

that is a #1 goalie

presently on our team there is only one such goalie... miller

people on here who are so quick to diss him miss that fact about him

I can never tell

If you are trying to speak

Or writing a poem

Last nights loss and goals against had far more to do with the team playing in front of Lack than his performance. Holy @#$% what a poop-show in front of him.

Let's review:

BUF's 1st goal - Massive blown coverage. Lack had little chance.

2nd - Bad play by Kenins allowing breakaway. Lack makes the stop and Clendening puts it in the net.

3rd - He might want that one back but he was well screened and it was a darn good shot after Bonino's failure to clear the puck despite having 3/4 of the rink clear to get it out and options besides a crappty pass right in to the middle of the ice.

4th - Another blown coverage/puck watching. Lack initially made two saves on and had little chance on third and even less help from the 5 guys in front of him

5th - Empty net.

Anyone care to argue how many of those Miller would have got? :rolleyes:

The team played like crap.

Are you suggesting that he has been overworked this year?

It's not often you'll find coastalview and me agreeing, but I agreed with most of his post that you were responding to. (btw, I also agree with JR's post about how the loss was due to the team playing badly, but I don't think it was one of Lack's better games.)

This was Lack's 4th consecutive game (one of those was a partial game-but one in which he faced 19 shots in 1 period and 27 for his time in the game.)

In his last two games he'd faced 19 shots in a a period in one game and 20 shots in a period in the most recent game. (He'd also faced 19 shots in a period and 41 shots in the game on Feb 11.) The game against Boston they'd been crashing the crease and Lack had managed to only give up a single goal but physically and mentally it had to have been a tough game.

I'd written of my concerns in the game day thread. I didn't think WD should have started Lack last night and thought it bad for both Lack and Markstrom.

Last night I turned on the radio for a short while to listen to the pregame show. WD was asked about his starting goalie and said he'd thought about starting Markstrom but thought it a chance for Eddie to take the team on his shoulders and run with it.

Until then I'd had a tough time understanding why WD started Miller so much to the exclusion of Lack. He wants a goalie to handle pretty much all of the starts, to take the team over.

If WD wants someone to do that, I think he needs to stick with Miller. Miller's psychologically able to do that. In his younger years he once started 70 games for the Sabres.

I think Lack is a really good goalie, but think he is better playing 30%-70% of the starts and to get rested when, like last night, he'd played a couple of tough games in a row.

Last year he was fine when splitting time with Lu. He wasn't fine feeling on his own later. His results indicate he isn't someone to play every night without rest.

I don't think he's going to be WD's guy. WD apparently wants a goalie to take over the team and play almost all the time. I have to agree with those that say that isn't Lack. If a coach wants two goalies splitting time (unequally, but both playing fairly regularly) imo Lack is fine. If he wants a #1 to play more, there's nothing in Lack's experience to indicate he's a good guy to do that.

Since I've referred to it, in the unlikely event anyone is interested in my game day thread post yesterday, it is at http://forum.canucks.com/topic/367540-gdt-buf-2262015-4pm/page-3 It was the post from 2:49 p.m. not my earlier post in the same thread.

I actually did use stats that equate to a goalies actual play. Save % and goals against..those are goalie stats. Wins and Losses are not a goalie stat, how hard is this to understand? There are plenty of goalies putting up better numbers than Miller who have no where near the same wins.

I have no idea what you are even trying to say, as you are obviously unable to articulate your thoughts into legible sentences.

All I did as put up the numbers. I didnt make them up. They werent based on one game.

A resume is only as good as the last job you did. You cant call someone great because they used to be great. Miller is an average goalie in this league, and is paid like he is elite, which he is not.

Whether Lack would put up numbers better than Miller when taking on the same workload remains to be seen. But if you go by Lacks stats from all of last season, they would be very similar, except about 5 mill cheaper.

Anyone who thinks Lack is expendable because 'we have 2 more just like him' obviously doesnt have a clue. Markstrom hasnt proven anything outside of good AHL numbers, at least Lack has shown he belongs in the NHL.

I didnt like the Miller signing when it happened and I like it even less now.

If wins and losses are not goalies stats. How long does a goalie last as a starter if you have a losing record? Lets use Dubnyk as an example. His best season in Edmonton was .500 in wins. His last season in Edmonton was 11 Wins 17 Losses. So they trade him.

He goes to Arizona, is 9 Wins, 5 Losses gets traded to the Wild. Now has 23 Wins, 8 Losses, and is looking like a steal.

Starting goaltenders who have losing records don't stay starters for very long.

To say that Wins and Losses aren't a goalie stat is just plain mad. Grant Fuhr is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. What's his stats? 3.38 GAA and .887 Save %. Hockey stats right? But he has 403 Wins. In the playoffs where he was money 92 wins and 50 losses. How many players with losing records are in the HHOF but have great stats?

If wins and losses are not goalies stats. How long does a goalie last as a starter if you have a losing record? Lets use Dubnyk as an example. His best season in Edmonton was .500 in wins. His last season in Edmonton was 11 Wins 17 Losses. So they trade him.

He goes to Arizona, is 9 Wins, 5 Losses gets traded to the Wild. Now has 23 Wins, 8 Losses, and is looking like a steal.

To say that Wins and Losses aren't a goalie stat is just plain mad. Grant Fuhr is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. What's his stats? 3.38 GAA and .887 Save %. Hockey stats right? But he has 403 Wins. In the playoffs where he was money 92 wins and 50 losses. How many players with losing records are in the HHOF but have great stats?

Different era, different game and utterly lacking context.

Not saying anything is fishy, but the timing of Miller's injury is quite convenient.

It's been reported that Miller will miss 4-6 weeks. Miller's wife is expecting mid-march. Lack gets some consistent action, Markstrom gets the call-up to VAN, Eriksson takes over in Utica, Cannata gets a call-up to Utica... All ideal.

Anyways, there's 16 games in March. 10 home games, 6 away. I hope all the goalies keep doing what they're doing. They all deserve a chance to step up.

I like it I disagree with your Manipulation of the number and the the age old " don't have a clue" get thrown out. Lack now 7-8-2. . Lack is expendable he's the oldest of the BACK UPS he won't be the starter when Miller is heathy because one simple reason miller is the better option. And if you don't understand that then you clearly "don't have a clue" I liked he signing of miller because the combination of lack and markstrom sounds like what Edmonton and Toronto have going on back ups over there heads and struggling making the entire team struggle since they have zero confidence in what's in net.. I like lack but I liked hursh auld and a few of the other career backs up that have come through van and like now fans saying they are better they have better numbers blah blah blah. It's lacks second season he hasn't proven anything sorry.but you keep crunching the numbers it seems to be influencing jb and wd.

Point out to me exactly what numbers I manipulated. I did nothing but put the actual numbers up. You just keep spouting off personal opinion like its gospel. You have nothing to back up what you are saying whatsoever.

Once again, wins and losses are a team stat, not a player stat. You can continue to be oblivious to the facts, as you clearly are...it matters not to me.

Miller is not worth 6 million for his average stats. Maybe Lack will be moved, it doesnt mean it will be the right decision. Miller has shown nothing this season that proves he is worth the money we pay him. Lack still puts up better numbers, and is almost 5 mill less of a cap hit.

Those are just the facts.

Goalies can last forever with horrible records but great stats. How is this even a question?

You think Dubnyk was traded because of his win loss record?

His last season in Edmonton:

32gp .894 sv% 3.36gaa .....thats why he was traded.

Goaltenders with losing records dont remain starters very long?

Look no further than our past 2 goaltenders.

Luongo had terrible records playing for the Cats but had great stats. 6 yrs

Schnieder 38-38-17 .920 sv% 2.1 gaa ..but Im sure the Devils will be looking to unload that asap

Cam Ward anyone?

And those are just 3 off the top of my head. If you are a goalie with those kinds of stats, and your team has a losing record, the problem is clearly not the goalie.

And you are seriously pulling out stats from the 80s? You think that is somehow relevant? Did you even watch hockey during the 80s?

And are you really comparing Miller to Grant Fuhr?

Hilarious

The average save % during the 1980s was around .880.

http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_SavePercentage.php

And he was money in the playoffs, where is save % and goals against rose.

You can take an average goalie and put him on a great team (Marc Andre Fluery anyone?) and he will rack up wins with average stats. And you can take a fantastic goalie and put him on an crappy team and he will still have a bad record.

Why is that you ask? Well its quite simple. Hockey is a team game. Wins are a team number. Put Miller and his current stats on ...lets say the Devils, how many wins does he have then?

Miller has shown nothing this season that proves he is worth the money we pay him.

Those are just the facts.

15th place team when he was hurt.

Miller ranked as high as first in shut outs and was/is second when he went down.

Tied for fourth in wins when he was injured.

The wins can be credited to the team,excluding Miller as an overpaid bum except he has elite level shutouts.

Pretenders can't perform that card trick.

Two games since less than stellar with 10 goals against . But in sure the lack homers will have so excuse for him.

Enough with the "Lack homers"...so we support our goaltender? There is nothing wrong with that. And you do know our defense is MIA, right? It counts. All goaltenders let in ones that they should have had at times. Happens. Get over it.

-Signed

Lack Homer

Not here to fight anyone or argue, Canucks are my favorite team, speaking from the heart right now.

Do I want them to make the playoffs? I do.

do I see the benefits of missing the playoffs? it's not good for the organization, but there are some good rebuilding pieces in the draft.

but in the end I rather see them make it in now, the team has gone through a lot.

THAT SAID

Do I think Lack can bring us into the playoffs? absolutely not!

calling it right now! right now! If we are riding lack for the next 4 to 6 weeks, we will miss the playoffs!

end thread.

I have absolutely 0 confidence in him!

I think the point is that NO goaltender is foolproof...they ALL have moments. It's about a guy who can shake it off (he did), regroup and not let it get into his head. I have confidence in that aspect of things. Will he be perfect? No. Will he be able to bounce back (like he did)? Yes.

Give him a break...he's been thrown into a weird situation from the start....give it awhile before you decide? That's what I'm doing...do we have a choice atm? Miller's hurt and so Eddie is our guy...and we won.

Archived