The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

I have a feeling this is the draft Benning is eying. He has expressed his interest in this draft, and we will have assets to move. We will have a few pending UFAs like bxa to move. Horvat is poised to replace Bonino down the middle while Gaunce, Cassels, and Vey will fill Horvat's spot in the next couple years. Bonino could net a fair return. Contenders will be interested in a 40-50 point guy with a beautiful cap hit. This next year could be very interesting

I have that exact same feeling. Maybe it stems from the fact that I am a little calmed down about the Lack trade but I think Benning will redeem himself at next year's trading deadline. Because other teams in the West have greatly improved themselves for next season, it is very realistic to see the Canucks not only missing the playoffs but finishing in the bottom third of the league. That means a top 10 pick. It also means that we could see the likes of Bieksa, Vrbata and/or Bonimo being moved to playoff bound teams hoping to make a run for the Cup in exchange for first and/or second picks.

Therefore, if the team's defence continues to get older and slower and Markstrom doesn't make people forget Lack, this might be a blessing in disguise.

Watch out for Logan Brown guys. He's the son of former Canucks defenseman, Jeff Brown.

Hopefully, Logan is a much better team guy with far better morals and values than his father. No sarcasm here.

What's the consensus on where we'll be picking. Pre draft I was leaning to Canucks missing the playoffs and picking anywhere from 9 to 14. And with Calgary's addition of Hamilton, LA's addition of Lucic, Anaheim adding Hagelin, and Edmonton should (I stress should) take a step in the right direction with better management, goaltending and McSavior, it has been more or less affirmed.

I guess that puts us in range to possibly grab Day. Tkchuck would be great as well though that may be a stretch in that range.

Hey everyone!

So after the success of the draft, I was approached by the site manager for EliteProspects. He said that they were contacted many times during the draft to ask for my opinions on players, but I wasn't there at the draft. It was a huge success and I had fun writing prospect profiles.

I'm going to be in charge of writing some of the profiles for next year's draft as well.

Here is our list so far:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2016

If you guys see any prospects for the 2016 Draft that aren'ton the list, please don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll add them!

Thanks CDC for making 2015 such a fun and anticipated Draft! The players that the Vancouver Canucks selected were of great quality and character. At least four of them have a solid professional future!

Thanks for all the prospect write ups Snypers +1

IMO , Puljajarvi will be the best in this draft and I'm going on record right now to say that I would take him over Matthews.

Simply on character issues alone...

Matthews DOES have the talent and all but the way he is scouring the globe for a team to play for to side - step CHL to AHL rules this just shows he has his own agenda to work to.

JP on the other hand, is the next great pure sniper winger that will MAKE a franchise.

If the Canucks are going to tank for anybody. ....it's for this guy

I'm really loving the game Chrychun (sp.?) plays and if we can't have a good start I can see ourselves selling.

On the other hand I wasn't all that impressed with Benson, but I hope he has a good year for the Giants.

I'm really loving the game Chrychun (sp.?) plays and if we can't have a good start I can see ourselves selling.

On the other hand I wasn't all that impressed with Benson, but I hope he has a good year for the Giants.

Really? I thought he looked great the couple times I saw him play this year.

IMO , Puljajarvi will be the best in this draft and I'm going on record right now to say that I would take him over Matthews.

Simply on character issues alone...

Matthews DOES have the talent and all but the way he is scouring the globe for a team to play for to side - step CHL to AHL rules this just shows he has his own agenda to work to.

JP on the other hand, is the next great pure sniper winger that will MAKE a franchise.

If the Canucks are going to tank for anybody. ....it's for this guy

While Matthews decision to go to Europe to avoid CHL/AHL rules is odd, it does mean -- at least to me -- that he would be okay with being sent down to the AHL as a 18 year old. If he was assuming he will play in the NHL in his draft +1 year, then it wouldn't matter where he was going to play next year. He could also opt to join a CHL club after being drafted.

It's an interesting decision, but it does allow more options in the future.

Archived