The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

1 minute ago, granpappy said:

this is all very much a reincarnation of the 1970 draft.  lose the coin flip/lottery.  miss out on the talented french canadianpick and pick a highly touted consolation prize, joulevi / tallon.  

hopefully it is just fate giving us another chance to rewrite our history and this time around it is joulevi that becomes a cornerstone of our team.

at least can't blame all this fate on jb.  most likely the ongoing casnuck curse for, these days, wearing a whale on our jersey in leui of johnny canuck

I'm not as high on PLD as so many (experts and pretty much everyone who know hockey) people are.  Personally, I think we just drafted the second most impactful player - to a winning team - in the draft.  

13 minutes ago, guntrix said:

lol, just like every single user on CDC proclaiming him to be a top pairing defenceman. 

Are you proclaiming he's not? Someone's going to be right so I'm going to put all of my chips in against you. Joulevi has enough hockey sense for the both of you. Your hockey sense is on life support and you need someone like Joulevi to keep you barely alive and breathing.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm not as high on PLD as so many (experts and pretty much everyone who know hockey) people are.  Personally, I think we just drafted the second most impactful player - to a winning team - in the draft.  

yes. yes.  do like the joulevi pick with what our choices were

54 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Juolevi won't be a top pairing dman but he'll be a good, reliable and solid top 4 dman. Nothing wrong with that.

Happy with this pick.

Stop talking like you can see the future Kermit. You come across very obnoxious. How about we watch and see how he does, instead of predetermining his future. Sound alright?

27 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Stop talking like you can see the future Kermit. You come across very obnoxious. How about we watch and see how he does, instead of predetermining his future. Sound alright?

I probably come off as obnoxious because I don't really care about rep or what this board thinks of this alias for that matter. 

I thought Virtanen was the wrong pick and I voiced it. He hasn't done anything to diminish any doubts whatsoever but I obviously made a lot of people mad with the back and forth JV debate.

I actually like this pick. I just don't think he'll be a first pairing Dman. I thought and still think Tkachuk is an impending bust.

Everyone is voicing their opinion on where OJ will end up yet this post gets called out, just lol. The problem is that CDC doesn't want to hear the opinions that don't make him out to be some world beater. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I probably come off as obnoxious because I don't really care about rep or what this board thinks of this alias for that matter. 

I thought Virtanen was the wrong pick and I voiced it. He hasn't done anything to diminish any doubts whatsoever but I obviously made a lot of people mad with the back and forth JV debate.

I actually like this pick. I just don't think he'll be a first pairing Dman. 

Everyone is voicing their opinion on where OJ will end up yet this post gets called out, just lol. The problem is that CDC doesn't want to hear the opinions that don't make him out to be some world beater. 

Thats fair I respect everyones opinion here. I just think it's silly to cap an expectation on him when really the sky is the limit. As a fan I think its natural to optimistic in the realm of reality towards all our prospects. Because its not like we dont want our prospects to become the best.

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

I actually like this pick. I just don't think he'll be a first pairing Dman.

I thought and still think Tkachuk is an impending bust.

I hate to say it but i agree on all these points. I too voiced an opinion at the time and I desperately hope I get proven wrong on Virtanen. Nothing would make me happier.

I really like this pick and have been calling for top Dmen to be taken in the last 3 drafts.....but i have no idea nor would I speculate how good OJ could/will be. But I'm hoping he turns out to be awesome.

Lastly I don't know anything about scouting but something about Tkachuk just didn't feel right to me and I was happy when he was not selected. Again he could/will turn out to be a suoerstar and the Canucks missed the opportunity, but thats the risk you take. At the end of the day if OJ turns into a Norris calibre defender who cares what MT has done?

Juolevi is an alright pick, given the circumstances (Damn you, Columbus)
But what makes it all feel a bit dodgy is that Juolevi seems extremely underwhelming compared to the top 3 defensman picked in last years draft. It kind of feels like Hanifin, Provorov and Werenski all have more upside and are all more flashy and have more value than a pick like Juolevi. 

I get the feeling that despite applauding Benning for taking the best defenseman, this wasn't the right draft to do that in. Anyone else feel this way?

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Benning only failure in the draft was not acquiring a first round pick in the mid-teens, when Chychrun was still on board.

What would he have moved?

i agree Chychrun would have been great to acquire at 16 but how's that a failure? 

28 minutes ago, R3aL said:

What would he have moved?

i agree Chychrun would have been great to acquire at 16 but how's that a failure? 

I don't know maybe, something involving Edler to Detroit.

I know Holland was adamant in moving Datsyuk's contract.

To Detroit: Edler, Burrows, 64th, and one of our second next year.

To Vancouver: Datsyuk and the 16th.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I don't know maybe, something involving Edler to Detroit.

I know Holland was adamant in moving Datsyuk's contract.

To Detroit: Edler, Burrows, 64th, and one of our second next year.

To Vancouver: Datsyuk and the 16th.

N

T

C

Archived