The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Free agency will be the day to get excited about.

Our reward for finishing so low was getting one of the best D-men in the draft. I'm pretty happy with that. If we had taken Dubois it would have been another draft that came and went where we still didn't have the D-man we desperately need.

Dubois would have been sick though. But, i really like Juolevi. 

I think a better question is "Why Ty Ronning?"  Do we pick a guy just because he has a last name that we know?  I liked Cliff Ronning as a player but that's not enough to determine a draft choice.  All late round picks are long shots but the thing that makes teams successful is to improve the odds slightly by making carefully researched picks.  This is Benning's specialty and I trust him to pick the little known prospects with the slightly better chance of making it.  People put too much stock into names that they recognize over players' actual attributes.

5 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

so does that mean we are not signing Hamhuis and are going to go with Sbisa?:blink:

the edition of Gubby makes it possible to trade Edler, also don't forget the expansion draft.

I bet Hamhuis is asking the Canucks for a NMC

11 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you still didn't explain to me how keeping Edler and Hansen makes sense for a team that is suppose to be getting younger?

We are literally less than 24 hours into the official start of the offseason. I am not suggesting to trade either Edler or Hansen but anything is possible at this point. Mellow out dude. 

17 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

all the veterans are there for another cup run. I hope Linden is smiling with Burrows,Higgins, Edler and Hansen still here. I hope YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ! 2011 here we come! REPEAT yaaaaaaaaaaaaay Linden the brain of this team hahahahahahahahA seriously, holding on to pieces like Hansen and Edler who have market value is comical. 

Edler has a NTC. Hansen only returns an early to mid 2nd. 

You need to stop. I am not fully against some of your rants but only when there is a good reason. Nothing that happened today deserves that.

1 minute ago, nux_win said:

I think a better question is "Why Ty Ronning?"  Do we pick a guy just because he has a last name that we know?  I liked Cliff Ronning as a player but that's not enough to determine a draft choice.  All late round picks are long shots but the thing that makes teams successful is to improve the odds slightly by making carefully researched picks.  This is Benning's specialty and I trust him to pick the little known prospects with the slightly better chance of making it.  People put too much stock into names that they recognize over players' actual attributes.

Benning's specialty? Give me a break the guy is clueless

Just now, KKnight said:

Dubois would have been sick though. But, i really like Juolevi. 

If we don't get a D-man that can make a good first pass and move the puck it doesn't matter how good our forwards are. We'll be spending all game in our own end.

A pick like this will help counter the speed and skill of teams like Edmonton and Calgary.

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Try looking at it like we drafted Juolevi and Gudbranson ;)

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Free agency will be the day to get excited about.

Our reward for finishing so low was getting one of the best D-men in the draft. I'm pretty happy with that. If we had taken Dubois it would have been another draft that came and went where we still didn't have the D-man we desperately need.

Fair enough, much more positive than I was feeling. Just initial let down --> negativity.

but for sure we got two young d players (including gudbranson) and hopefully Juolevi will develop well! 

I have warmed up to him now and think he was the right pick for us! 

Just now, DeNiro said:

If we don't get a D-man that can make a good first pass and move the puck it doesn't matter how good our forwards are. We'll be spending all game in our own end.

A pick like this will help counter the speed and skill of teams like Edmonton and Calgary.

Agreed! He is gonna help our PP, our transition game tremendously. We are gonna be a really fast team. 

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

I bet Hamhuis is asking the Canucks for a NMC

Of course he would, because Vegas. I was very warm to the idea of Hamhuis returning to the Canucks based upon his play late last season (after he returned from injury), but the way it looks now is that he's out of the picture. If a move or 2 happens, which I thought could have happened either yesterday or today, that could change, but right now I'm not so sure.

Just now, Toews said:

Doubt it. He knows we can't give him one as we have to protect Guds, Edler and Tanev in the expansion draft.

Then he won't sign here knowing that he's just going to be moved or let go in an expansion draft.  Players are going to think about themselves, why would he commit to us if we aren't willing to commit to him.

Hence why both parties need to move on, it's not the right fit anymore

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The theme of this draft definitely seems to be skating ability. All of the guys we took are good skaters.

Benning has identified our transition game as an area of weakness. Can't compete in the new NHL without a strong transition game.

It's something Chicago has done great, and in 2011 we had a great transition game too from our backend so makes sense and Juolevi seems to fit this.

plus he won in OHL and World Juniors, and he was integral to both championship teams 

13 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

This 100% explains why I trust people actually in the NHL more on than the one on these forums. Benning wants to win a Cup, not be mediocre. Benning has his own rankings and we need an elite defenseman, and that's Juolevi. Subban will get a fair shake, but he's a fair ways behind on the depth chart and his defensive game is still not NHL-level. He'll get a couple games, but expect what Schultz got with Pittsburgh - being sheltered, and likely on the 3rd pairing.

This post. A few by @DeNiro, @DeltaSwede and @mpt would also get points that I don't possess to give. There are rational, well thought out, rebuttals here that deserve recognition in the face of ignorance.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Juolevi is pretty much a prototypical, modern D. Skates like the wind, thinks the game well, constantly has his head up reading the play, constantly pushing the puck forward. 

People should be STOKED. And yet a certain demographic continues to b!#ch and whine. 

14 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Really? You and your crystal ball have determined all of Benning's picks are busts less than 24 hours after he selected them?

How do you tie your shoes with that many extra chromosomes.

i refrain from casting insults,if you read my posts i did not say benning's picks were a bust, i said he could of done better, i am trying to present reasons for my observations and what benning did by jumping over tkachuk to take the D man was a mistake , no where did i say his D man pick would not be a good player, but lets ask the posters here how many would of picked tkachuk over OJ the D man, i am curious ,and i have been watching this team since 1970 and have seen first hand all the ways they can screw up at the draft table and trades , anyone remember cam neely . i do or how about rick vaive ,benning seems to be content to make save decisions  where we will stay in the middle of the pack.fateless ,i don't want to be insulted because i disagree with bennings decisions

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

It's something Chicago has done great, and in 2011 we had a great transition game too from our backend so makes sense and Juolevi seems to fit this.

plus he won in OHL and World Juniors, and he was integral to both championship teams 

Some players just seem to win at every level. I hope he's one of those players.

He's already won two of the hardest championships to win and he'll likely be a staple on Team Finland's international teams in the future. Impressive start for his young career for sure.

Archived