The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

5 minutes ago, obee said:

you again miss my point ,what i am saying is benning did not utilize his chances to make this team better by accumulating picks from trading players as the oilers ,the flames and the jets all did and benning past up a player rated higher than his pick whom all who have been asked say he is not a # 1 D man, benning said that himself ,i heard it on one of his interviews, these are facts and in my opinion those three teams did better this weekend than benning 

You've literally once again presented zero evidence and just a bunch of hearsay.

This draft wasn't Benning's only job, he also had to fix the 3 year gap of players that we had due to Gillis selling all our draft picks to take a run at the cup. Gudbranson, Baertschi and others have all made this team better. We weren't in a position to sell much of our assets for picks without severely hampering our future for the next 5+ years. All the teams you mentioned have a core of players that can carry the team now while they stockpile draft picks - Benning did not inherit that luxury. 

There is no evidence to suggest Olli can't be a #1. Benning has never said he will not be a #1 - if you think he said it, prove it and link a video. Of course those teams likely did better than our team this weekend because they had many more picks to use and Edmonton was gifted another free lottery win when CBJ took Dubois.

That doesn't mean that Benning didn't do a good job with the tools he was given and to suggest otherwise this early without ANY evidence other than your "opinion" is stupid.

11 minutes ago, JV18 said:

I wanted him cuz I don't want another local star emerge out of our backyard in a late round. (both benn's and lucic) now if he turns out to be good that will just be another player we could have watched every night in Langley and helped... oh well

and don't forget gallagher in montreal

43 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

so does that mean we are not signing Hamhuis and are going to go with Sbisa?:blink:

the edition of Gubby makes it possible to trade Edler, also don't forget the expansion draft.

Also, Gudbranson does not make it possible to trade Edler. First of all, Edler won't waive his clause. Second, they bring two different skillsets. Edler is a TWD, while Gudbranson is a DD.

27 minutes ago, mpt said:

I would consider going after a guy like Schultz, tough ride for any defender in Edmonton, but still has a lot of potential.  Pittsburgh just isn't going to pay him over 4 million, hence why they didn't qualify him

We have a cheaper one in Subban. We don't need another one.

2 minutes ago, Fateless said:

You've literally once again presented zero evidence and just a bunch of hearsay.

This draft wasn't Benning's only job, he also had to fix the 3 year gap of players that we had due to Gillis selling all our draft picks to take a run at the cup. Gudbranson, Baertschi and others have all made this team better. We weren't in a position to sell much of our assets for picks without severely hampering our future for the next 5+ years. All the teams you mentioned have a core of players that can carry the team now while they stockpile draft picks - Benning did not inherit that luxury. 

There is no evidence to suggest Olli can't be a #1. Benning has never said he will not be a #1 - if you think he said it, prove it and link a video. Of course those teams likely did better than our team this weekend because they had many more picks to use and Edmonton was gifted another free lottery win when CBJ took Dubois.

That doesn't mean that Benning didn't do a job with the tools he was given and to suggest otherwise this early without ANY evidence other than your "opinion" is stupid.

fateless i don't know why you are harping at me but maybe if you talk to some one at team 1040 they might quote you benning's statement there are no # 1 sure fire D men at this draft, i listened to that interview and you also know i dont have the resources to bring up that interview, you are implying i am a liar so lets you and me agree to disagree

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Brent Sutter said that he was impossible to forecheck because of the speed at which he moves the puck up.

That is very frustrating for a team to not be able to get the puck on the forecheck all game. That ability is very hard to come by in the NHL and is a key part of success in the playoffs. 

Xit, I hope you're right, or it'll add to the overflowing bitterness of being a raincover of tears Canucks fan

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just like they couldn't fk up Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov?

Nothing has changed in Edmonton. They still have the same environment that turned these players into entitled stars that don't play the right way.

Things will change soon. I truly believe it for the Oilers 

Nugent Hopkins isnt that bad. Yakupov yea. Look likes hes a bust not as a player but for sure a bust as the 1st overall 

6 minutes ago, obee said:

fateless i don't know why you are harping at me but maybe if you talk to some one at team 1040 they might quote you benning's statement there are no # 1 sure fire D men at this draft, i listened to that interview and you also know i dont have the resources to bring up that interview, you are implying i am a liar so lets you and me agree to disagree

Obee, when did that interview take place?  Apparently JB upgraded his opinion after seeing OJ's performance in the WJs and MC.

Re: Ty Ronning...hope he can make the NHL one day, but his chances are pretty slim.  Jordan Schroeder struggles at the pro level and he has +++++ skills than Ty.

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just like they couldn't fk up Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov?

Nothing has changed in Edmonton. They still have the same environment that turned these players into entitled stars that don't play the right way.

Agreed. Edmonton has  yet to prove much. As I've mentioned earlier they've not really addressed their back end nor their goal tending. Marginal. 

Vancouver on the other hand has stayed the course and worked on their back end and made them harder to play against and more importantly score against. 

The whining of  the Canucks not getting the scoring they need has already began forgetting the last draft and the patience of their own past picks to develop.

Calgary has seemingly done well by addressing their goal tending but it's still not as good as Vancouver's. Yet I put their development ahead of Edmonton's, especially after this draft.

Edmonton has a lot to prove.

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Pretty jealous of Edmonton's draft, stealing Puljujarvi, getting Benson and taking who I really wanted in the later rounds in Rasanen.

I'm happy with Juolevi with what we had left to pick from. Tkachuk may be a good fit in Calgary with Gaudreau and Monahan and may turn out to be a decent player. He wouldn't have those types of line mates here to succeed, so I think we made the right choice moving forward and unfortunately Calgary benefits as well. As for the rest of the picks, hard to say how I feel about them until I learn more about them.

It was pretty funny seeing the absolute shock on Chiarellis face when Puljujarvi fell into their laps....PLD's and Puljujarvi careers will forever be linked...It will be interesting to see how it plays out.....Same as Tkachuk being passed over for Juolevi.

42 minutes ago, obee said:

i refrain from casting insults,if you read my posts i did not say benning's picks were a bust, i said he could of done better, i am trying to present reasons for my observations and what benning did by jumping over tkachuk to take the D man was a mistake , no where did i say his D man pick would not be a good player, but lets ask the posters here how many would of picked tkachuk over OJ the D man, i am curious ,and i have been watching this team since 1970 and have seen first hand all the ways they can screw up at the draft table and trades , anyone remember cam neely . i do or how about rick vaive ,benning seems to be content to make save decisions  where we will stay in the middle of the pack.fateless ,i don't want to be insulted because i disagree with bennings decisions

Could have done better? By whos standards, yours? Our glaring need was defence and I for one, am glad whom he chose.

I have been watching as well since the beginning and if you know anything about the Neely trade, you will know he was doing nothing for the Canucks at all at the time, hence the trade. Just because he went on to be a hall of famer, doesn't mean the trade(at the time) wasn't justified. Eg(Naslund tade from Pitts). Rick Vaive had value when traded, Lots of players suck after a trade

16 minutes ago, obee said:

I think this is the closest one: http://canucksarmy.com/2016/5/2/benning-picking-a-forward-at-5-sounds-realistic
But based on Linden's comments yesterday, it sounds like they've come around to thinking that eventually, Juolevi could be a first pairing.

16 minutes ago, obee said:

1) Don't believe everything you hear on 1040.

2) There is no such things as a "#1 surefire D" - that doesn't mean Benning doesn't believe that Olli can become a #1. 

I'm not implying you're a liar. I'm sure you actually believe the misinformation you're spreading. I just believe you're completely wrong and judging all of our new prospects before they've even played a game for our organization.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you still didn't explain to me how keeping Edler and Hansen makes sense for a team that is suppose to be getting younger?

And maybe you can explain to me why you're going on about Edler and Hansen in a thread about Ty Ronning. 

Archived