The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Dubois would have been sick though. But, i really like Juolevi. 

He would have..There is no doubt that JB coveted PLD,and it must have been disappointing to see him snagged at 3 (somewhere in the Buffalo arena there must be a Canucks sweater with Dubois' name on the back).

I see Juolevi fitting in with the Canucks seamlessly...plus,he has a good sense of humour.(the same as Sami Salo's)

We don't need Ty Ronning. The only reason why people are hyping him up is because of his dad being a former Canucks. People aren't hyping him up based on skill, what he does on the ice, etc.

If Ronning doesn't make sense for us then don't draft him. Clearly there's a reason why we passed on him, and it's not because our GM doesn't know anything.

31 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Obee, when did that interview take place?  Apparently JB upgraded his opinion after seeing OJ's performance in the WJs and MC.

Re: Ty Ronning...hope he can make the NHL one day, but his chances are pretty slim.  Jordan Schroeder struggles at the pro level and he has +++++ skills than Ty.

i can not remember the date but it was within the last two weeks, i don't know his exact words but he said there was no sure fire # 1 d man ,he qualified by saying he would be a good # 2 d man and he also said that's not saying they would not end up being a # 1, he and many others said the top d men in the draft at this time are considered as # 2 pairings, i am surprised i have to defend myself on this because i can't be the only person here who listens to team 1040, if possible i will try after monday to see if i can tract them down and higgy your right on schroeder  but watching him play he did not seem to have the desire

Yet we always want hometown kids....If he was drafted that late and in the 7th round, yeah you gamble him just for the fact that he is a hometown kid and Cliff's son.  

Kind of like when we passed up on Lucic and Gallagher.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

It was pretty funny seeing the absolute shock on Chiarellis face when Puljujarvi fell into their laps....PLD's and Puljujarvi careers will forever be linked...It will be interesting to see how it plays out.....Same as Tkachuk being passed over for Juolevi.

I don't think it'll be fair to compare them, they are in different roles and positions for their teams. If we are to make comparables, it'll have to be with Sergachev and Chychrun because they are really the only dmen that were looked at more highly.

If Tkachuk gets 50-60 points a year and Juolevi gets 20 points a year, but plays 25 mins a night, who do you view as the better player?

3 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

he's small and not a good skater, are you going to boo at everything we do or dont?

I think he was under the impression there was interest, enough that it seemed he would get selected so wondered why that didn't happen is all.

I think he may have been on their radar if that is what the OP suggests, maybe he was there if player X was not available, perhaps they got the player they wanted and Ronning was a plan B or C down the list for that particular pick.

Regardless, wish him all the best in the Rangers organization.

2 hours ago, Pears said:

How many of you guys actually wanted him other than the fact he's Cliff's kid? 

There's no pleasing some people. If we took Ty, there's be the other side complaining we took him just for his name.

Half of the Canucks fan see a kid who was born in BC or a kid with family ties to the Canucks and instantly we must have this kid on our team. Get over it. Ronning is a good young player but Benning saw higher potential in other players. Ronning got passed over by 200 other players. I like Ronning and had Benning drafted him, I'd be pleased, but he didn't and I'm also fine with that. My personal favorite player in the draft was Jake Bean. I love everything about him, even though I know several players are better or have better potential, but I'm not gonna sit here and cry knowing he's likely to never wear a Canucks jersey. 

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Why would the Canucks who openly showed interest in Ty pass up on him at least three times and watch him go 201. Did they just miss him on their sheet? Ronning was expected to go around 100 and fell to 200. Genuinely surprised Benning didn't select him. You have to feel bad for the kid. Overall though a very good draft for the Canucks.

Do your home work before whining. Too small too slow and a ton of sentiment from you and many others have the facts overshadowed on this player.

Love the guy as a player and a person but he's just not a fit. 

Vancouver is just shedding their smurfs, they don't need more. I hope he thrives in the east where he might hone his craft playing with bigger faster players. 

Drafting this guy in Vancouver didn't fit the big plan. Vancouver fans have to remember the big picture.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think it'll be fair to compare them, they are in different roles and positions for their teams. If we are to make comparables, it'll have to be with Sergachev and Chychrun because they are really the only dmen that were looked at more highly.

If Tkachuk gets 50-60 points a year and Juolevi gets 20 points a year, but plays 25 mins a night, who do you view as the better player?

I still think that Tkachuk is/will be the better player...but conversely,after the initial shock...I do believe that Juolevi is the better pick for the Canucks.

I am really happy with Vancouver's draft this weekend.

- Olli Juolevi: The best technical defenseman in the draft with arguably the best chance to be a #1 in this league. I see a lot of fellow Scandinavian OEL in him. Both not the largest guys, but with smart use of stick & positioning are very effective & smooth. I personally was hoping for Sergachev at this pick, however am super happy we have a fantastic fin!!

- William Lockwood: Don't know much about him, but I am confident in Benning's ability to find the right players for this team. After 2-3 years of NCAA experience this kids speed & skill may be very useful to our team.

- Cole Candella: Much like the Olsen pick, Benning saw the ability of a player who was carrying the defensive load on a weaker team. I'm confident with some pro exposure in dev + training camp. This kid will have a big year as Hamilton improves as a team.

- Jakub Stukel: Good local guy with good skating. Held back in development by a poor situation with the Giants (much like Benson + Ronning). Able to start fresh with the Hitmen, glad we take a 6th round chance on this guy.

- Rodrigo Abols: Looked great in Penticton last summer, worth it to secure him as our property until he is 26 or we see fit to not sign him.

- Brett Mckenzie: This one I don't know much about, so I was a little disappointed we didn't go with Sokolov/Ronning/Kuznetzov. However again am going to wait & see. In Benning We Trust.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having said all that, WOW did Arizona has an amazing week with new 26 year old GM. Very impressed with the moves & their ability to complete solidify & overhaul their defense for potentially the next 10 years.

Picking up & signing Goligoski to help OEL transition young onto the team.

But then really going all out & moving up to get Chychrun by taking a contract which they have plenty of room for. I believe a lot of teams are going to regret letting Chychrun fall that far. I believe the expectation was far too high on him, and was maybe watched too closely. He improved in all aspects of the game this year. Yet people call him a failure because he didn't make the WJC team, or didn't blow everyone away at the U18. That's not give game, he is a sound defenseman who plays all 200 feet of the ice. (not saying he will be the best dman in the draft, but better than 16 for sure)

Plus using a 2nd round pick to get a 19th overall pick from 2014 who is a RHD 2 years development in a great Tampa Bay system. Who also just had a 43 point rookie season in the AHL.

After stocking up on prime offensive talent, they really used this draft to improve their defense. In a couple years there defense could look this this.....

OEL - Stone

Goligoski - DeAngelo

Chyrchun - ???

Almost forgot they also added Clayton Keller to their offense. Very impressive, and gives them another player who is amazing with the puck to create plays for them.

I will say it was emotional see Jost and his family when he was called up at 10 bu Colorado.

Will be interesting to see if Jost and Boser play on the same line and how they gel.

But it will burn seeing if they rip it up as Jost is Colorado's prospect.

Looking back now I am happy with picking Olli Juolevi, I wish him all the best and hope to see him as our future top pairing dman.  I just hope we don't rush him through and let him develop into the player we expect him to be.

5 hours ago, obee said:

i can not remember the date but it was within the last two weeks, i don't know his exact words but he said there was no sure fire # 1 d man ,he qualified by saying he would be a good # 2 d man and he also said that's not saying they would not end up being a # 1, he and many others said the top d men in the draft at this time are considered as # 2 pairings, i am surprised i have to defend myself on this because i can't be the only person here who listens to team 1040, if possible i will try after monday to see if i can tract them down and higgy your right on schroeder  but watching him play he did not seem to have the desire

I Remember that. To be fair though, not many defenseman get that title in the draft. I can remember some analysts saying they weren't sure if Ekblad was a true number one or just a really good all around defenseman. I think Benning was holding back pre draft a bit. Same interview he said Matthew Tkachuk was a first line winger. I got the feeling JB thinks he has his true number 1 but he's not going to come out and say that and put immense pressure on Olli. I don't think he takes a #2 dman over a first line winger. 

Jims swinging for the fences on this one. He's just being smart about it and not going to Luke Schenn the kid.

this is all very much a reincarnation of the 1970 draft.  lose the coin flip/lottery.  miss out on the talented french canadianpick and pick a highly touted consolation prize, joulevi / tallon.  

hopefully it is just fate giving us another chance to rewrite our history and this time around it is joulevi that becomes a cornerstone of our team.

at least can't blame all this fate on jb.  most likely the ongoing casnuck curse for, these days, wearing a whale on our jersey in leui of johnny canuck

Archived