The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

18 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

This 100% explains why I trust people actually in the NHL more on than the one on these forums. Benning wants to win a Cup, not be mediocre. Benning has his own rankings and we need an elite defenseman, and that's Juolevi. Subban will get a fair shake, but he's a fair ways behind on the depth chart and his defensive game is still not NHL-level. He'll get a couple games, but expect what Schultz got with Pittsburgh - being sheltered, and likely on the 3rd pairing.

And you - Hansen is a leader and Edler is a minute muncher.

I would consider going after a guy like Schultz, tough ride for any defender in Edmonton, but still has a lot of potential.  Pittsburgh just isn't going to pay him over 4 million, hence why they didn't qualify him

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Sbisa for Yak and their 17 3rd?

I think Sbisa would help them more than Yak would help us, so no.

If they were in the east, I do that in a heartbeat though.

On the other hand, I would trade Tanev + to get Draisaitl, as Draisaitl would be our future #1C.

Then we should sign Hamhuis, really hope he doesn't go to Edm

6 minutes ago, Green Building said:

This post. A few by @DeNiro, @DeltaSwede and @mpt would also get points that I don't possess to give. There are rational, well thought out, rebuttals here that deserve recognition in the face of ignorance.

Unfortunately, the ignorant happen to also be the loudest, and therefore, garner the most attention. 

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Juolevi is pretty much a prototypical, modern D. Skates like the wind, thinks the game well, constantly has his head up reading the play, constantly pushing the puck forward. 

People should be STOKED. And yet a certain demographic continues to b!#ch and whine. 

Brent Sutter said that he was impossible to forecheck because of the speed at which he moves the puck up.

That is very frustrating for a team to not be able to get the puck on the forecheck all game. That ability is very hard to come by in the NHL and is a key part of success in the playoffs. 

35 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

all the veterans are there for another cup run. I hope Linden is smiling with Burrows,Higgins, Edler and Hansen still here. I hope YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ! 2011 here we come! REPEAT yaaaaaaaaaaaaay Linden the brain of this team hahahahahahahahA seriously, holding on to pieces like Hansen and Edler who have market value is comical. 

Who's to say they won't be traded this summer? Give your crystal ball some time.

10 minutes ago, obee said:

i refrain from casting insults,if you read my posts i did not say benning's picks were a bust, i said he could of done better, i am trying to present reasons for my observations and what benning did by jumping over tkachuk to take the D man was a mistake , no where did i say his D man pick would not be a good player, but lets ask the posters here how many would of picked tkachuk over OJ the D man, i am curious ,and i have been watching this team since 1970 and have seen first hand all the ways they can screw up at the draft table and trades , anyone remember cam neely . i do or how about rick vaive ,benning seems to be content to make save decisions  where we will stay in the middle of the pack.fateless ,i don't want to be insulted because i disagree with bennings decisions

Except that you have zero evidence that Benning's decisions are wrong yet. You're speculating - as is your right, but you dress it up like its fact. You said that Benning lost us this draft and that all the other teams around us "aced us". There is zero evidence yet to suggest Benning picked good or bad and suggesting that a bunch of other teams who had many more picks than us "aced us" before any of the players hit the ice for their respective teams is ridiculous.

And I'm glad Benning took Olli over Tkachuk. This team needed a top-line pairing prospect more than we needed a top six winger. As Benning and Linden themselves said, its a lot easier to find top six wingers in free agency than top pairing defenceman. 

Benning has done nothing but make excellent picks for this team since he came to the draft table. The majority of all his picks are trending way higher than they were when he picked them.

43 minutes ago, mpt said:

Ty is likely not going to succeed in our division, he's much more suited to the eastern conference and the wide open fast offensive hockey out there.

mpt at least you gave a good reason why he was not drafted by benning ,but since picks that late are long shots why not draft him,he is a home town boy, his father played for the canucks and he has skill, it would of been a good feel good story to end a poor weekend

1 minute ago, obee said:

mpt at least you gave a good reason why he was not drafted by benning ,but since picks that late are long shots why not draft him,he is a home town boy, his father played for the canucks and he has skill, it would of been a good feel good story to end a poor weekend

True, but on the other hand the guys we gambled on in the late rounds are much bigger and likely have a better shot of playing in the NHL in this tougher division.

35 minutes ago, Pears said:

How many of you guys actually wanted him other than the fact he's Cliff's kid? 

I wanted him cuz I don't want another local star emerge out of our backyard in a late round. (both benn's and lucic) now if he turns out to be good that will just be another player we could have watched every night in Langley and helped... oh well

Pretty jealous of Edmonton's draft, stealing Puljujarvi, getting Benson and taking who I really wanted in the later rounds in Rasanen.

I'm happy with Juolevi with what we had left to pick from. Tkachuk may be a good fit in Calgary with Gaudreau and Monahan and may turn out to be a decent player. He wouldn't have those types of line mates here to succeed, so I think we made the right choice moving forward and unfortunately Calgary benefits as well. As for the rest of the picks, hard to say how I feel about them until I learn more about them.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Pretty jealous of Edmonton's draft, stealing Puljujarvi, getting Benson and taking who I really wanted in the later rounds in Rasanen.

Don't we say that every year about Edmonton?

And every year they disappoint and finish bottom of the league again. They're in a state of perpetual hype.

3 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Except that you have zero evidence that Benning's decisions are wrong yet. You're speculating - as is your right, but you dress it up like its fact. You said that Benning lost us this draft and that all the other teams around us "aced us". There is zero evidence yet to suggest Benning picked good or bad and suggesting that a bunch of other teams who had many more picks than us "aced us" before any of the players hit the ice for their respective teams is ridiculous.

you again miss my point ,what i am saying is benning did not utilize his chances to make this team better by accumulating picks from trading players as the oilers ,the flames and the jets all did and benning past up a player rated higher than his pick whom all who have been asked say he is not a # 1 D man, benning said that himself ,i heard it on one of his interviews, these are facts and in my opinion those three teams did better this weekend than benning 

22 minutes ago, mpt said:

Then he won't sign here knowing that he's just going to be moved or let go in an expansion draft.  Players are going to think about themselves, why would he commit to us if we aren't willing to commit to him.

Hence why both parties need to move on, it's not the right fit anymore

If Hamhuis doesn't want to sign a retirement contract and is open to a 1 year deal, something can be worked out. I believe that is what Hamhuis has to figure out, should he chase that last contract and risk getting claimed by Vegas?

Or should he sign a 1 year contract and hope that he has a good enough year to sign something with term next year. It's not an easy decision to take the 1 year deal especially after his injury last year.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Don't we say that every year about Edmonton?

And every year they disappoint and finish bottom of the league again. They're in a state of perpetual hype.

Just wait... I dont get how they can fk up with Mcdavid Drasaitl Pool party Hall etc... 

Their goalie aint too bad too apparently 

Their D, idk too much about besides Nurse 

1 minute ago, obee said:

you again miss my point ,what i am saying is benning did not utilize his chances to make this team better by accumulating picks from trading players as the oilers ,the flames and the jets all did and benning past up a player rated higher than his pick whom all who have been asked say he is not a # 1 D man, benning said that himself ,i heard it on one of his interviews, these are facts and in my opinion those three teams did better this weekend than benning 

I was never a fan of Tkachuk, after Dubois left the board, I can see why JB went to Juolevi.  Only time will tell who turns out to be better

Just now, DontMessMe said:

Just wait... I dont get how they can fk up with Mcdavid Drasaitl Pool party Hall etc... 

Their goalie aint too bad too apparently 

Their D, idk too much about besides Nurse 

Just like they couldn't fk up Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov?

Nothing has changed in Edmonton. They still have the same environment that turned these players into entitled stars that don't play the right way.

Just now, mpt said:

I was never a fan of Tkachuk, after Dubois left the board, I can see why JB went to Juolevi.  Only time will tell who turns out to be better

thats fair enough , i was hoping we would get dubois as i think most of us were

1 minute ago, Toews said:

If Hamhuis doesn't want to sign a retirement contract and is open to a 1 year deal, something can be worked out. I believe that is what Hamhuis has to figure out, should he chase that last contract and risk getting claimed by Vegas?

Or should he sign a 1 year contract and hope that he has a good enough year to sign something with term next year. It's not an easy decision to take the 1 year deal especially after his injury last year.

When you are his age, signing one year deals is an easy way to find yourself unemployed.  If he knows he's only getting one year and then having to move on, wouldn't he try to see what playoff bound teams are interested in his services to try for a cup while he's still on his game?

Archived