The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Bieksa make this team's defence better or worst?

Bieksa always brings it in contract years. That is not prophecy it is reality.

And why would a guy his age not take a big final contract if it is offered to him over taking a low value short term one to stay here? How many UFA players have actually made that particular choice and why would anyone think Bieksa is any different than them? Lots of lifetime one team players took the money.

To say he is not about money at least partially is incredibly naive. He had to make 100k per more than Hamhuis made on his current contract so being the highest paid an at that time was most certainly important to him.

A guy naming himself after Wall Street saying it's all about the money, really...

Would Bieksa waive his ntc if the team upgraded and it pushed him to the third pairing though? That is the unknown at this point.

The only standard I hold 30 plus year old players to is to have some consistency to not make mind numbing defensive mistakes especially when you also don't add anything to the offense with your risk taking.

Ok, that explains your inability to answer a simple question and your penchant for avoiding points.

He has a lot of the character element I want in a defenseman. However, the nonchalant-too cool for school thing he does while moving the puck up ice, has to go. It just turns him into a turnover machine putting his teammates in awkward positions. When he plays with a sharp intent and focus, he's fine.

He will make the team better no doubt. Don't forget he was captian of team canada last year. He will bring a leadership presence, excellent penalty killer, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He still kinda turns the puck over one too many times, but glad to have him back.

Bieksas game is all about taking the good with the bad. The fights about him often is one side only seeing the good while the other side only seeing the bad.

As long as the risk isn't greater than the reward Bieksa will continue to be a serviceable top 4 guy.

Bieksas game is all about taking the good with the bad. The fights about him often is one side only seeing the good while the other side only seeing the bad.

As long as the risk isn't greater than the reward Bieksa will continue to be a serviceable top 4 guy.

I agree with this. Bieksa can be a very effective player that has a positive impact on a game. He can also be a very ineffective player that has a negative impact on a game. Sometimes those can even happen in the same game.

He is not a garbage player. He is also not a great player. But when he stays within the proper limits and finds a balance between risk/reward he is the type of player you want on your team.

The issue this season has been the risk has far outweighed the reward most of the time and he has struggled as a result.

Hammer has looked shaky since Bieksa's been out, not to mention dealing with his own injury earlier in the season. Would like to see them get somewhat back to vintage form together.

Hammer played better tonight it seemed, but then again he wasn't exactly tested with the leafs

Bieksa always brings it in contract years. That is not prophecy it is reality.

And why would a guy his age not take a big final contract if it is offered to him over taking a low value short term one to stay here? How many UFA players have actually made that particular choice and why would anyone think Bieksa is any different than them? Lots of lifetime one team players took the money.

To say he is not about money at least partially is incredibly naive. He had to make 100k per more than Hamhuis made on his current contract so being the highest paid an at that time was most certainly important to him.

I personally think you're being ignorant implying that Bieksa is all about the money and the contract year, but anyhow, the rest of it wasn't really you asking questions, it was you pretending to tell us what "will" happen.

'Bieksa won't sign a reasonable contract to stay here.

Management won't get anything in return for him.

Management/coaching will mistake him for a top 4 and price him out of our range in doing so.

Bieksa will be more productive because he is a contract year driven player.'

That's pretty arrogant/obnoxious imo.

There is zero chance Bieksa will sign a cheap contract as a UFA to stay here. Someone like Toronto will offer him multiple years at the same or more money than he makes now and he will take it. ANd I won't blame him but I will certainly blame management for not getting anything for him in return.

The Canucks will continue to pretend he is still top 4 calibre and as such they will price him out of keeping him at a fair cost.

The good news for us is that next year is a contract year so Bieksa should have a great season offensively.

For a guy prepared to go down with the ship here I am pretty sure we could work out a 2.5-3 million dollar deal. Especially if it could be a shorter term. He isn't exactly a quality top 4 minute muncher anymore.

I personally think you're being ignorant implying that Bieksa is all about the money and the contract year, but anyhow, the rest of it wasn't really you asking questions, it was you pretending to tell us what "will" happen.

'Bieksa won't sign a reasonable contract to stay here.

Management won't get anything in return for him.

Management/coaching will mistake him for a top 4 and price him out of our range in doing so.

Bieksa will be more productive because he is a contract year driven player.'

That's pretty arrogant/obnoxious imo.

The reality is Bieksa always sea to have career years in his final season of his contract. Many players do the same. It is not anything more than it is. I never said he was all about money. I said that I am sure money does matter to him. Many suggest he will automatically take a cheap contract to stay here. He might but I highly doubt it. Not many players do and who can really blame them?

I also never said he would not sign a reasonable contract. I said he would not likely sign a bargain basement type deal out of loyalty. When was the last time a player did? Where it was anything other than a few hundred thousand less than they are worth on the open market?

Bieksa is not really a consistent quality top 4 guy anymore. He is still a 4/5 guy on a solid defense corps. Overpaying him to stay in Vancouver isn't going to help us though. They need an upgrade in the top 4 that much is obvious.

Archived