The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kadri - fresh off suspension earns another with head shot to Fraser

oldnews

I agree with you that the Lupul headhunt should have been suspended.

The bottom line was clear and malicious intent - and the result was in fact a head shot - it just so happens it was wreckless enough that he wound up throwing the elbow into a team-mates mug. Regardless, the point is to get these chickensh!t cheapshots out of the game - so whethere it was the intent or the result, Lupul clearly intended to throw a headshot and wound up doing so no matter how comical the fail was. That should certainly come into play if he faces a suspension in the future.

That's exactly what I've been thinking for a couple of years now. I'd say the game has improved quite a bit over the last couple of years (coincidentally in the time guys like Cooke cleaned up) but in those years between the lockouts it wasn't uncommon to watch a game and see somebody take a vicious run at a player but miss and receive no punishment. The game is cleaning up but if they really wanna stop the cheap shots they'll punish intent as well. This may get arbitrary in some cases but in the case of the Lupul miss, he was very clearly throwing an elevated elbow.

Should be 5+ games, but as usual the DOPS will likely just give him 1 or 2.

And as for intent, there might be some grey areas but they should certainly try to punish it. They can do it for embellishment, so at least start giving out fines for them.

That wasn't intentional. He tried to squeeze by him when he couldn't stop.

He was checking to see if Fraser was alright after the hit.

Unfortunate situation, but should probably still be a slap on the wrist like a fine or a 1 game reminder.

You don't throw up the chicken wing to "squeeze by" somebody.

The fact that the Leafs themselves recently disciplined him is not going to help him imo.

Another fact here - Kadri is in the top 5 in the league in penalties drawn. He rides the line of agitating, playing borderline hockey, and having an X on his back as a result - this kind of cheap shot and his selective "toughness" is exactly why. He has gotten a lot of calls and protection from officials - but that is something that should probably come to an end. His game definitely borders on "rat" - and he might want to take notice that there aren't a lot of guys with names like Orr or McLaren left on the Leafs roster.

The league should send a strong and clear message imo.

The fact that the Leafs themselves recently disciplined him is not going to help him imo.

Another fact here - Kadri is in the top 5 in the league in penalties drawn. He rides the line of agitating, playing borderline hockey, and having an X on his back as a result - this kind of cheap shot and his selective "toughness" is exactly why. He has gotten a lot of calls and protection from officials - but that is something that should probably come to an end. His game definitely borders on "rat" - and he might want to take notice that there aren't a lot of guys with names like Orr or McLaren left on the Leafs roster.

The league should send a strong and clear message imo.

The problem is that Shanny just came out of DOPS and it's the Leafs. Lupul is another sneaky borderline rat, probably trained Kadri in the fine art of chicken wings.

So...

kadrihitfraser.jpg

= 4 game suspension

ribeirohitmatthias2.jpg

= 2 minute "Illegal Check to Head" penalty

This!

I wonder if Matthias had stayed down, the league would have looked at that hit? I remember being thankful at the time the refs even saw Ribeiro's headshot hoping it would get a further look.

I get the whole bigger, faster, stronger argument, but does anyone get the feeling that if this had happened ten years ago Fraser wouldn't have stayed down?

This!

I wonder if Matthias had stayed down, the league would have looked at that hit? I remember being thankful at the time the refs even saw Ribeiro's headshot hoping it would get a further look.

I get the whole bigger, faster, stronger argument, but does anyone get the feeling that if this had happened ten years ago Fraser wouldn't have stayed down?

They might be stronger nowadays, but I wouldn't say tougher at all.

Archived