The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Willie Desjardins' Scratch Choices Make Sense

SamJamIam

I have read a lot on these boards recently about debatable healthy scratches (especially relating to Kassian and Kenins). There are worries that these scratches can be perceived as a slight against players, even more so when the game before their scratch they played well. Also, why is it generally some of our hardest playing guys who bring a physical element or battle hard along the boards that are getting scratched the most. Don't we need more of that type of play?

Willie's latest post game after the win against the Flyers sheds some light on why he's doing this. He's using our bottom six depth to counter travel fatigue. This gives the Canucks a massive edge, because Willie has so much depth (thanks JB!) that he can field a fresher lineup on the average night than most teams. There are still times when we will have a hard schedule and come up against a rested team, but on average we are using our depth both in games with relatively even TOIs and between games with this rotation strategy.

I also believe that this is why our top 6's production may be underwhelming to some but our bottom six is exceptional. First and second liners end up playing more of an endurance game as a result of this strategy. They still run the usual 82 game marathon but our 3rd and 4th liners get to play at a sprint, preying on less rested (and often less skilled) opposing bottom six lines.

There is also talk of certain players being potentially discouraged by the scratches but I think people underestimate this locker room's attitude. We have very few guys who care about anything more than team success and when the team is doing this well, it's not hard to get players to buy in.

Thoughts?

The best part about Willie is that he gives nothing to the media.

Really hope that's not how he treats treats the team...

"You guys played real good tonight, let's play real good tomorrow and play hard and get the win"

If he's scratching his face, that makes sense. Stubble can be a little irritating. Depending on if he wiped probably or not, itching you bum is also understandable. Groin, like the bum, should be done in private. Those scratches make a lot of sense.

If he's scratching anything else, I would be more worried and he may need to see a dermatologist.

Really hope that's not how he treats treats the team...

"You guys played real good tonight, let's play real good tomorrow and play hard and get the win"

Watch the video when he gives Bo the news he is staying with the big club, that's how I presume he is with everyone. Light hearted, nice but also assertive and focused when he needs to be. He's always been known as a players coach, don't think that'll change in the NHL.

I believe that willie does an excellent job with his scratches given the amount of depth he has. Guys in the room understand, and they can use that in case they need a rest before playoff time. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the vets sit out a game for maintenance and let a young guy step in. It's probably a pretty comforting feeling knowing that if you go down, there is more than a couple capable players to fill in. Stress levels are way down amongst our team this year thanks to Trevor, Jim and Willie.

he also uses scratches to teach and train, consistency in his players....kassian is one that 3 coaches have trying to help reach their full potential on a regular basis...wd doesn't do things out spite.

The notion that Kassian has had (prior to Willie) three coaches try and fail to get him to reach his potential seems pretty flawed to me.

In Buffalo he barely played, he was very young, and did just fine in the AHL. Hardly had a coach who could work with him consistently.

AV was a hands-off coach. He liked to allow vets to work things out, which I know the vets appreciated, but it isn't helpful for a rookie who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Torts. Come on. He spent more time in Point Roberts than he did attending Canucks' practices. Canucks barely practiced, and this has been mentioned repeatedly by players. Hard to say that Kassian was 'coached' by Torts.

WD is the only coach to give Kassian attention on a regular basis in four years.

The notion that Kassian has had (prior to Willie) three coaches try and fail to get him to reach his potential seems pretty flawed to me.

In Buffalo he barely played, he was very young, and did just fine in the AHL. Hardly had a coach who could work with him consistently.

AV was a hands-off coach. He liked to allow vets to work things out, which I know the vets appreciated, but it isn't helpful for a rookie who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Torts. Come on. He spent more time in Point Roberts than he did attending Canucks' practices. Canucks barely practiced, and this has been mentioned repeatedly by players. Hard to say that Kassian was 'coached' by Torts.

WD is the only coach to give Kassian attention on a regular basis in four years.

This. I was pretty pissed at WD for scratching him so many times, but it seemed to work real good.

Its a good post SamJam!

The only real guy to have taken note, or issue, with being a healthy scratch has been Kassian this year. But we all know he's come on lately, and his confidence is both up and can absorb more of what is necessary now?

And I understand (?) that its his actually back that has him out of the line up atm. Maybe he is a could play in the play off's, but no harm in resting him with a lingering problem than a truly healthy body.

Just a tweek on the point about the top lines... There had been the injection of Kassian, now Burrows up with the Twins. Is that not a bit of a rotation? To my take, it helped get Kass going even better. But Vrbata also helps Bonino and Higgins as he is the most skilled guy the 2knd line usually gets to play with. And Mathias gets appearances there on the 2knd, with Higgins then on the 3rd. The only real set players have been Danny and Hank, Bonino on the 2knd. Is that not rotating players on the top lines?

This. I was pretty pissed at WD for scratching him so many times, but it seemed to work real good.

LOL, I remember when even some of our most credible posters were saying tough love would not work.

Well, coaches do get paid to make such decisions. Willie for the most part seems to keep a good rapport with the guys in spite of having to deliver bad news. ^ At the time, Kass did not seem to understand. But when he boosted his effort level he also got rewarded and ended up with the Twins. Hard not to suggest there is some credibility, or method to the madness behind Willie.

Sometimes its not tough love, its just the reality there are other good bodies.

And Vey, now, has been scratched once or twice as well. So CDC has less material to call favouritism. Not that CDC really understood anyway? AV, for example, always played the guy who worked the hardest, not necessarily the ''best'' player. Its how Burrows made the team, same for Rypien.

And back to the ''rapport'' point. Look at Hitchcock in St Louis. And wherever he has been. Been scratching Berglund. An Olympian, who had a 4 year run in St Lou's top 6. And he does not care if the player does not like it. At least Willie has a soft side, called Zack's junior coach for ideas. They have Tarasenko, Oshie, Lehtera, Stastny and even Lehtera who have all arrived on shore and taken some of his time to the point he's on the outs. Just like WD with Kassian, as he gets more options > he gets to ride Berglund to up his game or he will not play.

Kassian upped his game. But he's also going to have to keep doing so!

Archived