The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd McLellan as New Head Coach?

vladimirpuck

For everyone saying it's not the coach I have 2 words for you: Brandon McMillan. Is there anyone here who thought putting him in over Sven was a good idea? I'm not suggesting he be fired. Willie's done good this year. Real good. But he has made some bone-headed moves. Personally I think he should publicly demote the Bonino line to fourth line status to shame them and name the Horvat line as the second since they're the only forwards playing with any heart.

I am for getting rid of certain players, if at all possible. Bieksa. Hamhuis, unless he has been playing hurt and that's the reason he has sucked this year. Matthias does not use his side and shouldn't be re-signed unless he takes a paycut (not likely). Tired of Bonino's indifferent play. Higgins should be on the thrid line. But. We have some great pieces moving forward. I am a huge Sedins fan, but sick of their disappearing act come playoffs. I'm starting to agree with other posters that we will never win with the twins .

Willie's made some mistakes, but he's a rookie coach and he doesn't have the veteran experience. However, he's also made some good moves. As he gets more experienced, the veteran moves will increase and the rookie blunders will decrease. Also, he's got some significant holes in his lineup right now (no real second liners, below average defense) which makes it harder to compete.

For everyone saying it's not the coach I have 2 words for you: Brandon McMillan. Is there anyone here who thought putting him in over Sven was a good idea? I'm not suggesting he be fired. Willie's done good this year. Real good. But he has made some bone-headed moves. Personally I think he should publicly demote the Bonino line to fourth line status to shame them and name the Horvat line as the second since they're the only forwards playing with any heart.

I am for getting rid of certain players, if at all possible. Bieksa. Hamhuis, unless he has been playing hurt and that's the reason he has sucked this year. Matthias does not use his side and shouldn't be re-signed unless he takes a paycut (not likely). Tired of Bonino's indifferent play. Higgins should be on the thrid line. But. We have some great pieces moving forward. I am a huge Sedins fan, but sick of their disappearing act come playoffs. I'm starting to agree with other posters that we will never win with the twins .

Maybe Baertschi wasn't ready to go yesterday - got in town late, etc....

McLellan will be going to the Oilers to coach McDavid.

That sounds scary. Watch it happen. lol. This post is silly. Willie will make adjustments I don't think were gonna see a new coach anytime soon. Coach had a remarkable first year as a rookie. Give him time he will learn the tricks and trades of nhl coaching soon enough. Hartley is a cup winning coach you know he's got skills. Give it time peeps.

Willie will make adjustments I don't think were gonna see a new coach anytime soon.

Lol, what adjustments? This series has proved that willie has no idea about making adjustments and refuses to do so. It took the sedins and linden talking to him about the sedins ice time for him to increase it last game and even then as shorthouse pointed out, the ice time was distributed badly and had them playing long shifts in the 3rd period.

At this point, I don't think coaching is the problem.

AV was a good coach, but he wasn't very adaptive and it could be argued he wasn't getting enough from the team (ie they weren't responding)

They haven't responded to Torts, or Willie either.. I think keep Willie and start a real rebuild. Willie seems like he would be good for youth with the rolling 4 lines system.

I have hated the decisions he has made this series as much as anyone and needs to give youth a chance especially with the amount of injuries. WD doesn't deserve to get fired tho, he got the team to the playoffs in his first season as an NHL coach and the players seem to like him. Hopefully Benning trades some vets and has a talk to WD about injecting more youth as we are suppose to be going through a retool!

At this point, I don't think coaching is the problem.

AV was a good coach, but he wasn't very adaptive and it could be argued he wasn't getting enough from the team (ie they weren't responding)

They haven't responded to Torts, or Willie either.. I think keep Willie and start a real rebuild. Willie seems like he would be good for youth with the rolling 4 lines system.

I don't want to change topics here,but it could also be argued (especially in hindsight) that AV got more out of what little he had...In his first season as coach,definitely,and also in his last few years.

I would agree though,that coaching is not the issue this season....

Desjardins is being badly outcoached this series and his weaknesses are certainly showing. But he is a good coach that just needs to realize that he has to make adjustments and stop with the mind numbing reliance on "glue guys" with declining skills and anyone he coached in junior or the ahl. He needs to become a real NHL coach where the good of the team comes ahead of all that crap.

The same goes for Benning. This core should get no more chances and should be seriously broken up in favor of a younger group of players even if that means losing for a few years.

Willie fired? Jesus guys. WTF. We were suppose to be retooling this year, we were lucky to even make the playoffs. The players are just as much, if not more to blame than Willie. How about we trade the whole team while we are at it.

Just Silly.

Not to mention they'd be paying 3 head coaches next year would they not?

I'm not a huge WD fan, but the problem is the core, not the coach. last year it was the coach and the core........one was remedied, now it's time for the second hammer to drop. Guys need to go this summer

at some point you have to point a finger at the core instead of the coach. This fire a coach every year thing is getting old.

No WD is a mitigator, not a coach. The players are old and weak. Linden needs to do something. No body will want these old burned out players and the Rookie coach.

I am for getting rid of certain players, if at all possible. Bieksa. Hamhuis, unless he has been playing hurt and that's the reason he has sucked this year. Matthias does not use his side and shouldn't be re-signed unless he takes a paycut (not likely). Tired of Bonino's indifferent play. Higgins should be on the thrid line. But. We have some great pieces moving forward. I am a huge Sedins fan, but sick of their disappearing act come playoffs. I'm starting to agree with other posters that we will never win

with the twins .

Yes I did.

Mac is a far more physical. faster and aggressive player than Sven.

You are judging Sven on a couple of half-assed end of season walk overs. Mac played hard opposition and on the road

Archived