The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Off-Season Moves Prediction Thread

Provost

Out of curiosity since Garrison didn't want to waive his no trade clause at first yet waived it after Benning asked him again, and now is playing in the finals would it mean that more of the "core" or veteran players would look at his success and waive their no trade clause?

My bold prediction is that neither Bieksa or Sbisa will be traded. Both will play significant minutes, much to the chagrin of their legion of detractors.

In general, there won't be nearly as many changes as many here are predicting/hoping for.

Baertschi will be the only youngster to move up to the big club. Any other open spots will be taken up by the proverbial "who's that" of Canuck prospects. (Kenins will remain a regular)

If I were in charge, I'd move Vrbata (the one Canuck forward with trade value, other than the twins) and attempt to move Miller (although at six million per, that's likely a pipe dream)

I'd try and land a big, mean, crease clearing defender as well as a solid defense prospect.

What many would like to see is players who are in decline step forward and say "hey guys my games dropping off and I'd like to retire or mover to another team" the reality is they know they're at the end of their careers, never again to make money like they are and want to maximise their wealth. They're mostly married, own a home and have their children in school. As much as they know that day is coming from the day they began their careers. So in the fantasy world sure we'd like to see Bieska, Sbisa and Higgins moved on the chnaces are slim. Horvat some day will be the same. You have to find a way that makes it attractive, be it a promise of a job with the club after retirement from playing or what ever.

The one thing that confuses me about this thread is the fact that no one has told us that the thread already exists, if we would just go and search among the 20,000 cold threads.

I am not following you.... you mean the thread already exists for previous seasons or there is a thread for the 2015 Off Season Prediction thread hidden somewhere?

Or are you being sarcastic that no one has tried to be a mini mod and try to argue that this should be included in an old thread.

Matthias Richardson walk

Weber gets signed :(

No one gets traded except lack / prospect

What should happen in my point of view

Trade Higgins burrows bieksa lack. Maybe hammer. Let weber go. Sign Ehrhoff 1 year

Fill spots with gaunse grenier corrado clendening

Hopefully jensen virtanen

What I would like to see:

Higgins and Burrows moved, both for 3rds

Matthias and Richardson not resigned.

Start season with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-Vey-Grenier

Bieksa agrees to waive and is traded

Weber not resigned

Start with:

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-B Sang

Sbisa-Clendenning

Miller traded, get a 2nd this year, 3rd-5th next year (conditional pick)

Markstrom traded, get a 2nd or 3rd (3rd more likely)

Lack

FA acquisition (veteran that knows he is NOT the #1)

Virtanen gets his 9 games early on, back to junior where he dominates and really learns two-way play

McCann back to junior, dominates the same

Cassels to Utica and by end of year is either showing he won't be denied next year, or has already taken over for Vey

Gaunce and Shinkaruk get a couple of 5 game call-ups; Jensen also but is traded at the deadline

Corrado gets a few but is traded at deadline

Pedan comes back healthy, symptom free all year and by end of year is a firm option for 2016-17; Hutton starts the year in Utica, is called up late in the season and becomes impossible to move out of the lineup. Benning knows he has to move someone, finds out that Carolina needs a physical Dman and is willing to trade for Sbisa :shock:

We have one year quite a ways under the cap, and are able to see the play of the younger guys, getting ready for when all these entry contracts start to expire.

Make the playoffs as the 5 seed, play and BEAT Calgary in the 1st round before losing to Anaheim in the 2nd round

NOW...what I expect to see

Higgins and Hansen traded, likely a 3rd and a 4th

Matthias and Richardson are not resigned, but a good effort to keep Richardson

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Burrows

Dorsett-Vey-FA signing (cheap)

One of either KB or Hammer traded, and a 2nd or 3rd back

Edler-Tanev

KB/Hammer-Weber

Sbisa-Clendenning

Lack traded, netting a 2nd this year, maybe a 6th next year (but doubtfully)

Miller and Markstrom

Virtanen and McCann back to junior

Grenier, Gaunce, Cassels and Shinkaruk all to Utica

B Sang not resigned; Corrado back to Utica

Pedan back to full health, but not ready for next year

Make the playoffs as the 7 seed, get hammered by ___ (fill in the blank)

I just don't believe that Miller is up to the challenge anymore. He's too inconsistent; can be great, but can be horrible. I know Luongo could do the same, but he usually allowed us to beat the teams we should beat, instead of beating the Rangers 4-0 and then losing to Buffalo on the same road trip.

Lucic acts like some sociopathic criminal.

Can't even shake hands properly, after fizzling out.

Gladly pass on that one.

I like Kassian...but he needs to be more consistent and work hard in all zones; he seems lost in the defensive zone. Kassian needs to raise his game and take the next step to become that power forward that the Canucks need.

I hope he finds his game and dominates...because I think he can dominate.

Coaches/ management need to build Kassian's confidence and make him mad...He plays better when he is mad

Make him mad and build his confidence = Kassian will dominate.

^Yes, it's worth hoping for.

Look at what's happened to some of these guys who relied solely on brawling, to gain a league-niche(Boogard, Probert, even our undersized, brave Ryp)?

Maybe there's method to Kass's madness, & he's developing skills, rep & toughness equally, with a linear climb?

MY PREDICTION:

-Radim Vrbata to Mtl for 26th overall

-Higgins, Hansen, and Weber for 2nds and 3rds.

-Lack + 2nds and 3rds to Buffalo for 21st overall.

attempt made to package a mix of these picks plus current prospects not named Horvat or Virtanen for targeted 1st round players

-Promoted: Baertschi, Virtanen, Clendenning, Corrado.

-Sign Matt Belesky

sedin sedin burrows

belesky bonino kassian

baertschi horvat virtanen

kenins cassels dorsett

vey

mcmillan

edler tanev

hamhuis bieksa

sbisa clendenning

stanton corrado

miller

markstrom

I don't want to be "that guy". But I know some of Hamhuis's family. Take this for what it's worth but according to them he thinks he's played his last game as a Canuck. He's willing to waive if asked. But he wants to go somewhere warm.

I too know many members of his family and they confirmed that he's outtie... So that's my prediction too then lol...

Miller to SJS for 3rd & prospect

Higgins + our 4th somewhere for their 2nd

Out to F/A:

Matthias

Richardson

Biega

Bo-Sang

+ any other RFA that won't sign a 2 way (Markstrom?)

F/A signings:

Vermette

Neuvirth

- Mathias walks

- Richardson signed

- Higgins for 3rd

- Markstrom, Hamhuis, Bonino, Jensen for Draisaitl and 4th

- Sign Ehrhoff

- Weber gone

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Draisaitl-Hansen

Kenins-Richardson-Dorsett

Vey

Edler-Tanev

Bieksa-Ehrhoff

Sbisa-Corrado

Stanton-Clendening

Lack

Miller

Miller to SJS for 3rd & prospect

Higgins + our 4th somewhere for their 2nd

Out to F/A:

Matthias

Richardson

Biega

Bo-Sang

+ any other RFA that won't sign a 2 way (Markstrom?)

F/A signings:

Vermette

Neuvirth

You do realize that signing a 2 way contract has zero baring on waiver status, right? So even if Markstrom and Baertschi sign 2 way contracts they're still subject to waivers if they aren't kept up with the Canucks.

I see us going after one of the many talented RFAs out there. IMO I could see us targeting both Brandon Saad and Dougie Hamilton if we free up enough cap space. The dream is Tarasenko, but those two are much more realistic and affordable.

Higgins, Bieksa, and Miller I see as the most likely to be traded in packages to get us something better.

I hope you're right (Higgins, Bieksa, and Miller) but think you're not on 2 of the 3; Lack goes instead of Miller and Bieksa refuses to budge.

Hamuis - out because he will wave

Bieksa- stays because Benning (and the Canucks) need his truculence

Richardson & Matthias gone

Virtanen - stays with Canucks because like Horvat he's physically capable

Baertschi - stays up

Guance or Grenier - 4th line right wing

Lucic - sign and trade (God only knows how Benning does this ) and he plays with the Sedins

You do realize that signing a 2 way contract has zero baring on waiver status, right? So even if Markstrom and Baertschi sign 2 way contracts they're still subject to waivers if they aren't kept up with the Canucks.

Yes I do realize that, but it also means that we can't move them easily if they're on a 1 way.

But I also made a mistake in that I said ANY RFA that won't sign...I think Baertschi signs a 1 way anyways, as well as Vey, Kenins, Stanton and Clendening...I was more targeting Markstrom, Eriksson, Cannata, McMillan, Weber, Corrado, Connacher, Grenier etc etc.

I was kind of more feeling we don't need any more contracts that are difficult to move (ie/ sign Markstrom to a 1-way and then try and move him later on...he'd be easier to move to another team if he was signed to a 2-way contract...same as the others I listed).

And I looked back at the predictions, so far the only thing you've predicted is that Hammer is gone, and that prediction was made using insider info, not really going out on limb there at all are you now? So don't be afraid of a little criticism, nut-up and give us YOUR predictions, after all that's what this thread was supposed to be about.

A bold move at the draft...I see one of Bieksa/Hamhuis gone....possibly Vrbata as well......These will be the key players that will be moved (along with our 23rd overall) to enable us to move up in the draft.....Benning made a stab at #1 overall last year,I believe he will go all in this year...Its really s**t or get off the pot time for this franchise and his 'defining moment' as GM...

I am not following you.... you mean the thread already exists for previous seasons or there is a thread for the 2015 Off Season Prediction thread hidden somewhere?

Or are you being sarcastic that no one has tried to be a mini mod and try to argue that this should be included in an old thread.

There are a number of off-season movement prediction threads (one currently right below this one in fact).

Archived