The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison trade : win or loss?

cuporbust

Garrison trade   

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

nother big night for ol número 5. With contracts like Sbisa at 3.5 , curious to see how many of u were happy dumping Garrisons 4.5 for what ended up being Linden Vey? This was Bennings first big move for this club , and with the sbisa and Dorsett contracts being some of his other big moves , im not so exited to see what's next outside of his draft ability

Thoughts ?

Garrison was not a simple move just for Vey. Remember, the team was close to the cap, taking his 4.5 mill off the books allowed us to stabalize our goaltending and bring in Miller and a few other guys. I think the torts era ruined a lot of players seasons, but I remember we brought him in to man the powerplay (to replace Salo) and he would never be able to hit the net! He was also not that great defensively. He looks good on Tampa because he is a role player, and on that powerplay everyone is gunning for stamkos or johnson, or even Hedman. Trading Garrison was a necessary move to let Benning have more flexibility in putting his own guys in. I think in the end it didnt matter, its not like he was a stud d-man or anything.

Garrison out = Miller and Vey in, Kesler out = Bonino and Vrbata in. Worked out fine.

The question is, once Miller is gone, what does that $6m get spent on? If it's a stud D man or forward through free agency / Virtanen turns into a 70pt forward, then Garrison out = something we really needed. Slightly early to decide, but I do think we won the trade. Depends on McKeown of course...

Garrison was not a simple move just for Vey. Remember, the team was close to the cap, taking his 4.5 mill off the books allowed us to stabalize our goaltending and bring in Miller and a few other guys. I think the torts era ruined a lot of players seasons, but I remember we brought him in to man the powerplay (to replace Salo) and he would never be able to hit the net! He was also not that great defensively. He looks good on Tampa because he is a role player, and on that powerplay everyone is gunning for stamkos or johnson, or even Hedman. Trading Garrison was a necessary move to let Benning have more flexibility in putting his own guys in. I think in the end it didnt matter, its not like he was a stud d-man or anything.

He is still very expensive for a role player but he's better off there because.... He likes Florida? Or perhaps he wasn't suited for the slow puck moving system we had here.

Either way, you say the trade helped "stabilise" our cap situation. Well, haven't Sbisa and Dorsett just de-stabilized our cap?

Garrison out = Miller and Vey in, Kesler out = Bonino and Vrbata in. Worked out fine.

The question is, once Miller is gone, what does that $6m get spent on? If it's a stud D man or forward through free agency / Virtanen turns into a 70pt forward, then Garrison out = something we really needed. Slightly early to decide, but I do think we won the trade. Depends on McKeown of course...

Just so you know there is no stud Dman in free agency so in order to acquire one we'd need to do it via trade and the only one who was really available already got traded in Meyers. There isn't really anything out there in terms of potential number 1 dman. The only ones who I know that may be available but would cost a small fortune are OEL, Larsson and Jack Johnson. With Shero taking over in NJ I doubt Larsson would be traded and OEL would cost like everything we have. I doubt Jack Johnson goes anywhere as well.

Dorsett is worth every penny of his contract. We need his toughness and hitting on the forecheck. Sbisa however is a liability and I think we only resigned him because he gave up kesler. I dont know how Benning could give that much money to our worst dman. Remember, both Philly and Anaheim moved on from him and when he was there, those teams were desperate for defencemen. I honestly dont know what Benning was thinking in signing him again, probably his only bad move thus far.

Soooooo, some posters complain nonstop that we aren't getting younger fast enough. Here is a trade where we got younger and we're complaining about it?

Newsflash: when you trade to get younger you get worse in the short term.

Losing Garrison and not bringing in another Dman hurt the team.

Lack got the Canucks to the playoffs; therefore, the Miller trade hurt the team defensively this past year.

Miller needs to perform better in order for JB's trades to look good.

nother big night for ol número 5. With contracts like Sbisa at 3.5 , curious to see how many of u were happy dumping Garrisons 4.5 for what ended up being Linden Vey? This was Bennings first big move for this club , and with the sbisa and Dorsett contracts being some of his other big moves , im not so exited to see what's next outside of his draft ability

Thoughts ?

Well, Garrison needed to go. He played pretty poorly here, and never fit in in the line up. He's a good D, but he never hit his stride or clicked with any of the other guys. Last season he was the second worst D man on the team, only ahead of Edler. He never got the puck to the net, and couldn't defend well in his own end. I think we were right in trading him. Got his cap off our books. Benning's only mistake was thinking Sbisa could replace him. Sbisa is coming along well though. But I would do that trade 10/10 times. He's doing well in Tampa, but he would've never fit in here.

He hasn't been that great in the playoffs lol. He's still relatively soft and not that mobile. He's got a big shot, but only has 2 goals in the playoffs. He is usually good defensively, but he isn't always a sure bet. I'm fine with the trade, just upset with the 2nd part of the deal (2nd for vey).

Archived