The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travelling in Your 20's

Phil_314

Hi everyone,

So lately among my friends I've been hearing about how my peers have been going backpacking in Europe, Asia, etc. to "learn about themselves" and see the world, etc. before settling into a career, and that got me thinking too, since I'm also in a similar stage in life (early-mid-20's, recent uni graduate, not entirely sure about career) about how these kinds of experiences bring about benefits.

At the same time, I've heard how some people pretty much spend a big chunk, if not their entire savings for around a month away (depends on how much they've saved or want to spend), and that doesn't seem like a very wise idea since they'd have nothing to fall back on when they get back to town. Has anyone on here had the privilege of going on one of these trips, and what have they learned/ how do they see that they've changed from these trips? Where did you go, and what about these trips impacted you?

I've love to hear your stories!

Since you're a recent uni grad why not try to get a job in a foreign country to fund your travels?

I believe they call it a working holiday

I mean it doesn't have to be the most glamorous or high paying just enough so you don't eat much of your savings..

Then travel whenever you're off or on the weekends. If you go to mainland Europe you can travel many countries by day via rail etc..

Teach English overseas if you have a degree and are caucaisian (racism is a very big problem in a lot of countries for this kind of job). Plenty of holidays when the kids aren't in school to go see the surrounding area (airfare is often dirt cheap), and living in a country you don't speak the language forces you to approach life in a different manner. I think the only way to gain the maximum benefit here is to experience all the stages of culture shock, which you won't if you only go for a month.

Personally, I went to China, had a blast over there, saw lots of really cool stuff that I wouldn't have gotten to as a tourist, and the only downside is I have a ridiculously high standard for Chinese food now.

I've heard "youth, is wasted on the young"..& to this I'd suggest, travel is wasted upon the old.

By the time one accumulates enough cash & wisdom to set out, there's no longer any lead in the pencil!

Try Asia if possible. I did a working holiday(1 yr) visa in Japan, 20 years back, & magically transformed into 'Charisma Man'..Inside joke: this was a comic strip character, based on the proverbial, nerdy gaijin who suddenly is thrust into a world of juggling dates.

I don't know if Japan still has the thrilling uniqueness, now that everyone sees everything on the 'net? Also, Sofia Coppola 'exposed us, for what we are' with the legendary 'Lost In Translation'. Maybe after Bill Murray & Scarlett's travails, it's all been done?

Any chance you get to awaken to the question, "Where am I?", should be fully exploited before one turns 30. Enjoy.

I'd definitely recommend travelling. When I was in my 20's, I went to London, Paris, and Iceland. London and Paris was one trip, and Iceland was another. Icleand was interesting. People leave their babies outside of coffee shops while they are inside drinking coffee. I would walk by and think - gosh your so cute! I want to take you home! - as a joke for taking you home part. Iceland was so calming and magical! Climbing in underground caves was spectacular, the Blue Lagoon, walking around Reykjavik at 6am , checking out the continental divide, and other activities.

For Paris, walking up the Effel Tower, going to Mass on Easter, eating at the bakeries, drinking wine, spending time at the Louvre. And London, I really enjoyed shopping, the Tower of London, St, James Park, and going to Kennsington Park every Morning, and other activities.

I went to these places by myself. I really enjoy doing things by myself, but these days, enjoy doing spare of the moment things like flying down to San Francisco, going up to Vancouver, Montreal for a hockey game, down to Portland, and wherever interests me.

I've spend nearly every dime I've saved up over the past 3 years travelling on 3 seperate trips (Europe twice, and a long Australia/Asia trip), and I wouldn't change a thing.

Nearly all of my best experiences come from one of those trips, and I've found that each time when I come back home I am happier and more sociable than when I left.

Travel when you have the chance, you'll regret not doing it far more than you will regret doing it.

I focused on acquiring assets and money during my 20's. Now in my early 30's, I'm still focused on the same thing... but I'm much more tied down, with a lot more at stake. Barring a massive 180 in every aspect of my life, travelling to any substantial extent is very unlikely for me. I've been to a bunch of different vacation destinations, but nothing like you're probably planning.

I say go for it. When I was 20 I could never imagine blowing 5k on travelling. Now I spend 5k on friggin property taxes and don't blink and eye.

The money you spend now is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll make in your lifetime. So if you have the money, blow it all on something like that and come home and start again. Time moves quickly and money comes and goes.

I did Europe for 4 months in 1990. back pack, hostels, Eurail pass, the whole thing. We were in Berlin on reunification day. Munich for Oktoberfest.Yeah, long time ago but I think it relates. I was 4 years out of high school with no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I did the trip. Had a blast. Saw and did a lot and came home with a start of a plan. Went to Uni as an adult 5 years after high school. IF I had gone straight from high school to Uni it would have been a crap shoot on picking a career. Those years and that trip made all the difference. If I could do that Europe trip again I would have made it 6 or more months. Ive been back to Europe 6 times since then but 1-2 weeks at a time and the last 4 times as a family. Its not the same thing. Nothing like the same thing. Me and a buddy planned on an Asian trip right after Europe but funds were tight and the usual stuff happened and then I was off to Uni.

Ive done a few things Im not proud of but my regrets in life are about the things I didnt do. The missed Asian trip is a big one. You cant wait until you have a career or are married or have too many responsibilities if you want to go off for months at a time. Its now.

ive backpacked 4 times on e in 99 for 7 months malayasia japan and working in australia

in 2007 in central america for six months

in 2012 6 months in south east asia

and in nepal a month of trekking last yr

its the best next trip im gonna buy a motor bike go all way to patagonia and then head to europe im planning a 3 yr trip maybe india and more nepal &^@# being a slave im gonna live it up i bartend when immat home and hustle to travel and work on photography check out my instagram in you want johnnycanukk

I had always wanted to travelling, but did not want to go alone.

Finally, one of my friends decided to go. We set our flight for two months to Bangkok.

It started off slower than I anticipated. But once it got going, I was absolute

ly hooked.

I extended my flight, which cost me a lot more money at the time. Didnt matter, I

stayed another month. Now I'm hooked. ( Im 24 now )

The people you meet, the experiences you have are just indescribable. Even the bad

times are now great stories and memories. Backpacking Asia is a great first

backpacking hub. Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia. All are easily catered for backpackers if you want it that way. It can be insanely cheap.

You can find 1000$ flights and cheaper (return). You can live on less than 1000 dollars a month if you need to.

Any questions, feel free to message me

I started traveling November 2013. I booked a one way ticket to Manila and backpacked around se Asia for 6 months. I then moved to Melbourne and started working while traveling around Australia. June 10th, 2015 I will be heading back home to Vancouver for a couple months before utilizing my UK visa and traveling around Europe.

My point is, chances are your career can be done in other countries. So why not live abroad and explore. As far as money goes, I'm coming back home with triple what I left with, nearly 20k.

Savings are important but so is experience. Go see the world. Be smart with your money while you travel (read budget travel blogs) and have fun.

Take a small backpack, one that can be for carry on. It's all you'll need for an extended multi month backpacking trip. Once you settle into a place to live and work. Have your family or friend send over a care package with your personal items and work clothes.

It's not complicated. You only worry about things that don't exist. Just do it.

Edit: I traveled alone.

Totally do it.

The world is changing and in some ways negatively. Places may not be as open in the future and some are not as open as in the past.

I'm 39 now.

I turned 19 in England at the beginning of my first trip which started out as only five months but turned into 11...in Europe.

By the time I was thirty I had been to 17 countries and had three working visas, and sailed nearly 8000 nautical miles.

I've been broke and I mean flat out busted both back home and away numerous times. I've been deported - you name it.

Now I'm 39, married with three kids, a homeowner and self employed. Money: you need it but it isn't the be all and end all. Financially I've done it the hard way and that probably won't change but I've got a ton of great memories and have met and built relationships with great people. Priceless imo.

What you gain in knowledge from trips will help you in life garunteed.

Hi everyone,

So lately among my friends I've been hearing about how my peers have been going backpacking in Europe, Asia, etc. to "learn about themselves" and see the world, etc. before settling into a career, and that got me thinking too, since I'm also in a similar stage in life (early-mid-20's, recent uni graduate, not entirely sure about career) about how these kinds of experiences bring about benefits.

At the same time, I've heard how some people pretty much spend a big chunk, if not their entire savings for around a month away (depends on how much they've saved or want to spend), and that doesn't seem like a very wise idea since they'd have nothing to fall back on when they get back to town. Has anyone on here had the privilege of going on one of these trips, and what have they learned/ how do they see that they've changed from these trips? Where did you go, and what about these trips impacted you?

I've love to hear your stories!

I didn't travel in my 20's, but I am in my 40's. Not even remotely regretting that decision. I have the $ and the life experience to enjoy and appreciate it more than if I went in my 20's.

I've heard "youth, is wasted on the young"..& to this I'd suggest, travel is wasted upon the old.

By the time one accumulates enough cash & wisdom to set out, there's no longer any lead in the pencil!

Try Asia if possible. I did a working holiday(1 yr) visa in Japan, 20 years back, & magically transformed into 'Charisma Man'..Inside joke: this was a comic strip character, based on the proverbial, nerdy gaijin who suddenly is thrust into a world of juggling dates.

I don't know if Japan still has the thrilling uniqueness, now that everyone sees everything on the 'net? Also, Sofia Coppola 'exposed us, for what we are' with the legendary 'Lost In Translation'. Maybe after Bill Murray & Scarlett's travails, it's all been done?

Any chance you get to awaken to the question, "Where am I?", should be fully exploited before one turns 30. Enjoy.

that's one of the dumbest, most ignorant things I've read on this board. One could argue the exact opposite. I have more $, more experience, more knowledge of the world around me than when I was young.

Archived