The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travelling in Your 20's

Phil_314

Do it.

I went to travel for about a month in Europe and ended up traveling and living abroad for almost 3 years. Working holiday visas, work under the table, travel, do it all. I could have stayed here, got a job, made more money but I was able to do so much more than I can now even with way less money. In your 30's you get a girl, job, blah blah and having lots of money won't get you out of those commitments. Do it.

I was lucky enough to take the train across Russia, hike in Nepal, lived in Seoul, partied in Spain and more cause I jumped in. It's really easy to get a job, start saving money blah blah, but there's no way in hell I would change what I did. Did my career start later than some of my friends? Yeah, sure, but it was totally worth it.

Just came back from a 3 week trip to Thailand and I'm regretting not staying longer in SEA.

If you have the means to travel, do it! It's an incredible experience, especially when you are young and don't have as many responsibilities.

I'm planning another trip for about 2-3 months next year in SEA or South America.

"I will wait until I've saved enough money"

By the time you get to a point in your life where you are making good buck, the responsibilities associated with your financial position may prevent you from being able to go on lengthy trips. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if you wait until this point, you run the risk of never getting the opportunity to travel, even once you can afford it.

When I was 20, for the 3rd year of university I did an exchange to England. Once I was there, I went to Czech Republic, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, and Croatia. If I were to pick one of those places to return to, I'd probably choose Croatia.

Hey Phil, you sound similar to me when I was in that predicament, so hopefully I can add something meaningful to your decision.

At 22 I had about 20 grand saved up, but was gonna change careers because I didn't like the way my life was going. So I wrestled with the idea of travelling as a break between old job and starting schooling for a new career. Knew it was gonna be expensive, but also that I wouldn't have the same opportunity with time off and money in the bank for a long time.

Eventually I decided I'd do it, went all over the continent of Australia for two and a half months, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience and people met. Definitely something I'd never be able to do again for many years, if ever.

But, it did set me back ten grand, and this was splitting the expenses with someone and being relatively frugal the whole trip. That ten grand would have been a good buffer back in reality as the other ten grand went pretty fast between school and living expenses.

So in conclusion, for me I found it was worth it for all the experiences I had, but I can completely understand why someone would be fine with the mini trips to Mexico or long weekend trips in BC/nearby. Depends on your finances, and also where you want to go and what you want to experience. If you do have a travel itch, I'd recommend do it now while it's convenient, but in the end it's up to your situation and how attached you are to not prolonging your plans at home.

I "plan" on going to either Africa or the Middle East after I finish my degree in two years. I don't plan on staying for too long but I plan on working in my field over there as there is some demand for it. I'm just too frugal to travel care free. I wish I could but I think I would just stress too much over money to enjoy the trip.

that's one of the dumbest, most ignorant things I've read on this board. One could argue the exact opposite. I have more $, more experience, more knowledge of the world around me than when I was young.

Devil's advocate here... but you likely also have less "reckless abandon" too ;)

There's pros an cons to both but I don't think you can deny traveling single, in your 20's with not a lot of responsibility back home and still enough teenage "invincibility" coursing through your blood is likely to lead to some more interesting stories/memories.

...Or a jail sentence :lol:

You're probably more likely to truly appreciate people/places etc when you're older though and have more means to do so.

While I didn't/haven't done overseas trips besides exploring China for 3 weeks and Hong Kong for 3 weeks, I've done a lot of north american trips with my best friends. We've stayed in LA for 3 weeks, we've gone to New York, and a few other places. So while it isn't the same experience as meeting strangers and making friends with them and knowing people all over the world, it's still making memories with people that I will call my best friends for the rest of my life and who will probably grow old with me.

I've always wandered..what do you guys mean by backpacking across Europe?

Stuffing a backpack with all your personal gear and traveling around Europe. Usually by train or bus, or any cheap flights. Check out backpacking travel blogs on Google. Heaps of quality info and travel stories

I've always wandered..what do you guys mean by backpacking across Europe?

For me it was a eurail pass, a "Europe on a shoestring" book, and some clothes and a tent stuffed in backpack.

That's right people: a book!, pay phones! Hand written letters!

Traveling is my only true home.

At 39 years old, I have a decent job, a degree and I traveled fairly extensively in my 20's (and still do in shorter increments).

One of the the trade offs is, this year is the first time I have been able to afford a reasonable down payment on my first condo. It's not financially easy to do it all, but if there is one thing I would do the same every time, it's travel. It's no joke. You learn more about people and the world by traveling, and it has been the single most rewarding thing I have done in my life to date (on par with paying off my student loans last year).

You learn lots. In some ways you learn a humility about how privileged we are to live where we do. You also learn the value of money and budgeting as it is often difficult to choose what is expendable and what is necessary. You learn a new level of street smarts (depending where you go of course). You learn communication. You get memories and experiences that last a lifetime. It is costly, but it is totally worth it.

If you are going alone, you learn a lot about yourself. You learn how motivated you are. You can learn to be more proactive. You learn what type of people you are compatible with. You can learn about loneliness and how much you love those you left at home. It's truly immeasurable.

My biggest recommendation is to save as much money as possible first, and live like a freaking beggar when you are away. Stay in hostels, meet people, drink cheap liquor, bang everyone you can (safely), don't do drugs in foreign countries (unless you are reeeeeeeeeeely sure about it), never drive in Vietnam, and remember, ALL wine is delicious in Southern Europe. Be a beach bum for as long as possible. Couch surf whenever possible.

My favorite locations were (still are) Southern Europe and Central America. Go be a beach bum in the Algarve or outside of San Juan del Sur. Costa Rica used too be a great option for up to 90 days at a time with no visa, but it is getting really expensive. I have spent an approx total of around a year in Costa Rica, I was inches from moving there. Feel free to PM me any questions on Central America, I have spent time in every country except El Salvador.

I haven't been back to Southeast Asia in a decade, so I don't know how much it's changed, so all I can say is what I experienced 10 odd years ago. Thailand, Laos and Vietnam were crazy cheap and beautiful. Thailand was the easiest to navigate, Vietnam was the best food and easiest to communicate and Laos was the most rural and interesting.

Hope this helps convince you.

For me it was a eurail pass, a "Europe on a shoestring" book, and some clothes and a tent stuffed in backpack.

That's right people: a book!, pay phones! Hand written letters!

..and post cards to your family written hastily while drunk.

Who needs underwear!

Traveling is my only true home.

At 39 years old, I have a decent job, a degree and I traveled fairly extensively in my 20's (and still do in shorter increments).

One of the the trade offs is, this year is the first time I have been able to afford a reasonable down payment on my first condo. It's not financially easy to do it all, but if there is one thing I would do the same every time, it's travel. It's no joke. You learn more about people and the world by traveling, and it has been the single most rewarding thing I have done in my life to date (on par with paying off my student loans last year).

You learn lots. In some ways you learn a humility about how privileged we are to live where we do. You also learn the value of money and budgeting as it is often difficult to choose what is expendable and what is necessary. You learn a new level of street smarts (depending where you go of course). You learn communication. You get memories and experiences that last a lifetime. It is costly, but it is totally worth it.

If you are going alone, you learn a lot about yourself. You learn how motivated you are. You can learn to be more proactive. You learn what type of people you are compatible with. You can learn about loneliness and how much you love those you left at home. It's truly immeasurable.

My biggest recommendation is to save as much money as possible first, and live like a freaking beggar when you are away. Stay in hostels, meet people, drink cheap liquor, bang everyone you can (safely), don't do drugs in foreign countries (unless you are reeeeeeeeeeely sure about it), never drive in Vietnam, and remember, ALL wine is delicious in Southern Europe. Be a beach bum for as long as possible. Couch surf whenever possible.

My favorite locations were (still are) Southern Europe and Central America. Go be a beach bum in the Algarve or outside of San Juan del Sur. Costa Rica used too be a great option for up to 90 days at a time with no visa, but it is getting really expensive. I have spent an approx total of around a year in Costa Rica, I was inches from moving there. Feel free to PM me any questions on Central America, I have spent time in every country except El Salvador.

I haven't been back to Southeast Asia in a decade, so I don't know how much it's changed, so all I can say is what I experienced 10 odd years ago. Thailand, Laos and Vietnam were crazy cheap and beautiful. Thailand was the easiest to navigate, Vietnam was the best food and easiest to communicate and Laos was the most rural and interesting.

Hope this helps convince you.

Of everywhere in SE asia, Cambodia was my favourite. Phnom Penh is hectic and messy but super fun and interesting. Thailand was ok, just super touristy. Still beautiful though and relaxing once you're out of the cities and away from the party beaches.

Top recommendations for cheap places (although not necessarily cheap to get there...)

Nepal -- amazing, beautiful, dirt cheap, super friendly people, good for you to hike around the Himalayas. Spent a month there.

Cambodia--as above.

Russia -- not very relaxing as a 'holiday', but if you want interesting travel do it. Took the trans-siberian train from Helsinki to Vladivostok. Stopped in 5 places along the way. All awesome. Moscow/St. Pete's can be expensive, but once you're out in the country, it's not.

Top recommendations for expensive places

Japan -- Very expensive. But, very cool. I worked and traveled so I could make it work. Sapporo is very cool.

W. Europe -- For all the obvious reasons, top places are Rome, Luberon in France, Malta, Estonia.

In any case and anywhere, do it. It's worth it.

My top places I've never been but want to go

Ireland/N. Scotland

Peru/Argentina

Croatia/Slovenia

reading everyone's posts on their travels makes me itch to head out again.

i dunno.. i guess you're lucky. if you've finished your degree and still have money to travel without having to think about debt and bills, the world's your oyster..

i never did the backpacking thing. i finished my degree and tried to get a job asap. spent money on more school while working a couple of jobs and focused on getting ahead; never even thought about spending money on traveling. i only started putting travel as a priority when people around me started dying. traveled with family around asia and europe a couple of times. eventually quit my job and hopped on a one way flight on a uk working holiday visa at 30. even though i met a ton of people and made great friendships, i couldn't find a real job. customer service jobs are fine and i did that for a bit but i wasn't really learning anything new. i was making a pittance of what i had already been making and rent in London zone 1 was brutal.

working holidays really are for younger people; those who don't really have too many opportunity costs or expectations.

had some other friends who did the teach in another country for a year (or 3) when we'd all graduated university and they had a good time and made decent money but they came back to the same issues as when they had left - no local or relevant experience. but sometimes you end up meeting your significant other or end up staying and just never returning too.. you just never know. ;)

Devil's advocate here... but you likely also have less "reckless abandon" too ;)

There's pros an cons to both but I don't think you can deny traveling single, in your 20's with not a lot of responsibility back home and still enough teenage "invincibility" coursing through your blood is likely to lead to some more interesting stories/memories.

...Or a jail sentence :lol:

You're probably more likely to truly appreciate people/places etc when you're older though and have more means to do so.

:lol: I think my ethnicity's not the most "welcoming" when it comes to YOLO-ing, but I digress :P

Definitely do think each time period does have its own advantages when it comes to when to go (e.g. less commitment in 20's but more resources in 30's). Either way, as someone said, I definitely had my eyes opened when I saw how we have it so good compared to places like Thailand, which really did help me to see how great the gap in lifestyles is between here and in SEA.

I'd love to go travelling as well watching Departures on Netflix really makes me wanna just go. I'm a 21 year old dude never been on an airplane so that's a hard start to me already. Thinking of heading over to Europe in November hopefully (albeit only for a week and some) if I am able to save up enough cash. Have a decent paying job. If I were you I would go in a heartbeat if you have nothing holding ya down here run far and fast

Any young person considering travelling but worried about cash flow:

Keep in mind that it's pretty easy to find cash work and you can always work for food and board too. Ask the staff at hostels if they need help in exchange for room and board. In Europe, especially in the Mediterranean countries (Greece and Turkey for me) I was able to do this a lot. Sometimes it's easier in warmer climates. Some places I was able to sleep on rooftops for free or close to it. Imo this all just added to the fun - trying to see just how cheap I could get it.

Indonesia only cost me 1200 for sixty days. And that included renting motorbikes and whatnot. Be friendly with locals everywhere, you never know when you may get a ride or a meal at someone's restaurant. Remember many of these people may never get to travel. Share your time with them. They have open minds and want to know what you are about. It goes a long way.

I'm going to Japan in October and I'm not finding things too expensive. I'll stay in a capsule hotel here and there to reduce costs and my flight only cost me about $500 return.

Went to Argentina in April for less than $500.

If I see a deal I just book it as soon as my work approves the time off. I'm pretty flexible as I travel solo and am quite happy on my own.

Archived