The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City of Glendale meeting to determine fate of NHL's Coyotes

The Jets & Nordiques relocating can't entirely be blamed on Bettman...the Canadian dollar was exchanging at $1.40 in '96, Canadian teams took in revenue in Canadian dollars, but had to pay players in American dollars, & salaries were skyrocketing out of control...Calgary & Edmonton almost had to move as well, the Senators changed ownership before they'd even played a game.

Yes. Add the fact that both of those cities were informed that they would need a new arena. Both cities refused. Both cities lost their franchise.

I've been wondering whether the Coyotes could ever move back to downtown Phoenix, which would change everything. Looks like it could happen. Glendale may actually be doing the Coyotes a huge favour here. It'll take a couple of years to hammer out a settlement in court, and Glendale will write the Coyotes a big fat cheque.

The Coyotes turn around and use it as a down payment on a new shared rink in downtown Phoenix or on the Indian Reserve in Scottsdale...either of which are way better locations for the team.

Could the Arizona Coyotes move back to downtown Phoenix?

The ink and blood isnt even dry yet in Glendale over the citys arena deal with the Arizona Coyotes and there is already talk of the hockey team moving.

But this time its not just Quebec City, Las Vegas, Portland or Seattle in the mix.

The Glendale City Council voted Wednesday night to end its 15-year, $225 million arena deal with the Coyotes owners. That action likely will spark a lawsuit and threaten the teams future in the desert.

There is some talk and very early talk, at that of bringing the Coyotes back to downtown Phoenix in a possible new shared arena with the Phoenix Suns.

The Arizona Republics Dustin Gardiner tweeted this week that Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski is among those talking about a new arena to house the two teams.

The Phoenix Coyotes played in what is now Talking Stick Resort Arena (formerly US Airways Center and America West Arena) from 1996 to 2003 before moving to Glendale. The Coyotes had to deal with obstructed view seating and a less than favorable business deal when they were tenants at the downtown arena.

But the Suns and city of Phoenix are starting to ponder a new arena for the NBA team. Talking Stick Arena opened in 1992 and is one of the oldest in NBA.

One option is to build a brand-new arena at the current site of the South Building of the Phoenix Convention Center.

The new arena could be configured for both hockey and basketball. Arenas in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. and Boston all have similar designs.

But there are not even preliminary plans for a new Suns arena downtown and the Convention Center talk is still just talk and odds-on speculation.

Other markets such as Portland, Quebec City and Kansas City have arenas in place while Seattle and Las Vegas could fast track construction.

Seth Scott, chief of staff for policy for Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, said prior to this week's Glendlae vote that he hopes Glendale and the Coyotes owners can work out their differences.

There is an existing long-term contract between Glendale and the Coyotes, and we are hopeful that both sides can work out their differences and keep professional hockey in the Valley for years to come, Scott said.

Dont be surprised if there is also some speculation of building a new Coyotes arena on the Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community next to Scottsdale.

The tribe already built a popular Cactus League spring training ballpark there for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/blog/business/2015/06/could-the-arizona-coyotes-move-back-to-downtown.html

I really don't get it. The owners have to be bleeding money. The city is giving them an out.

1,2,3,4, what you fighting for?

Just move. There's not enough fans. The city doesn't want to subsidize you.

Sorry Gary, you lost. IceArizona gets the benefit of relocation.

Pounding a square peg into a round hole doesn't work.

Because moving Az will likely bring Gary's whole house of cards down. Move Az to a profitable market, what happens? Revenue goes up, salary cap goes up because it's tied to revenue, salary floor goes up because its tied to the ceiling, now Florida is FUBAR and the gong show moves to Florida, move Florida and what happens? Revenue goes up, cap goes up, floor goes up, now Carolina is screwed, and so on.

Arizona has for 20 years been creating a rich hockey culture. You'd hate to see it taken away from those fans as the popularity of the team is about to explode. I say let them have their team there for at least five years...

Arizona has for 20 years been creating a rich hockey culture. You'd hate to see it taken away from those fans as the popularity of the team is about to explode. I say let them have their team there for at least five years...

They've already had it for 20 and it has show no signs of life, nor has it EVER turned a profit. Popularity is about to explode? What does that mean 14000 fans instead of 12000? Cudos for trying but sometimes you have to say enough is enough, time to go back to the drawing board.

SOLUTION: TO trades all 50 contracts with Ari's, AND 250, 000, 000 dollars. Quarter of a bill, for TO ownership to move on from links to 1967, & start fresh...

Give a chunk of that cash to the city, for their troubles. Move'em anywhere.

Give Bettman a camping trip in the desert, with Joe Pesci & his buddies.

Your trolling/sarcasm is lacking the same quality effort it used to.

Not as subtle.

With news that the Arizona Coyotes might be relocating fairly soon and the buzz around the possibility of an NHL team going to Las Vegas, Quebec City is the one making some impressive and significant strides in trying to a reel an NHL team back to the city. As per Tim Newcomb of Sports Illustrated, the Centre Vidéotron could become one of the must-visit venues to catch a hockey game if it ever becomes home to an NHL franchise.

Unlike many U.S. arena’s, this $500 million arena is designed specifically to watch hockey games and should be ready by September, 2015. The design on the interior provides a steeper and intimate bowl setting, which makes fans feel like they’re on top of the ice while watching a game. The exterior of the arena is meant to provide a “hockey festival” feel, which makes people really feel like every single game is a grand event. Here are a couple more pictures of the arena.

3-AMPHITHEATRE-1460x867.jpg

You can learn a lot more about the arena, including seating details and arena designs, in the full piece by Tim Newcomb on Sports Illustrated.

(Photos courtesy: Sports Illustrated)

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Quebec%2BCity's%2Bnew%2B%2522hockey-specific%2522%2Barena%2Bdesign%2Bsounds%2Bawesome%2Band%2Bwill%2Bbe%2Bready%2Bto%2Bgo%2Bfor%2BSeptember%2B2015&id=543524

If you think they're going to play in glendale, who do you think will go to those games??? If I lived there I certainly wouldn't. I think they've played their last game in the desert. Can you imagine being a league in a city that doesn't want you in their building? At least not at the price that it's costing its citizens to fund.

They will either play one more season in Glendale through court order, orthey will move to the old arena in Phoenix for now while they work out a longer term solution. Frankly, a move back to Phoenix would benefit them greatly. As nice as the facility in Glendale is, it is built in the wrong place.

The city of Glendale is going to lose this badly. If I had a business in the complex around the arena, I'd be organizing a class action lawsuit against the city as well. You sign a lease for your business and then the city pulls the rug out from under the only thing that is attracting consumers to your area? I'd be pretty pissed!

From the TSN article today...

Even though the NHL says that it is committed to the Coyotes playing in Glendale, some current and former NHL team officials say they are surely working quietly to make alternate plans.

When the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg in 2011, for instance, the NHL said publicly it was committed to the Atlanta market until the last possible moment before the teams sale and relocation were announced.

So people just make this stuff up, right? Bettman said in May 2011, days before the team moved to Winnipeg. Wheres the accountability from all the people who a month ago were saying that Phoenix was definitely going? Whatever is being written (about Atlanta) is being made up.

Theres no question that the NHL did a superior job getting the Atlanta ownership resolved without media attention," former Ottawa Senators chief executive Roy Mlakar said. "That is part of Gary and (deputy commissioner Bill) Dalys M.O. They dont feel they have to discuss business philosophies and planning with the media. They dont like to share their strategies.

From the TSN article today...

Even though the NHL says that it is committed to the Coyotes playing in Glendale, some current and former NHL team officials say they are surely working quietly to make alternate plans.

When the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg in 2011, for instance, the NHL said publicly it was committed to the Atlanta market until the last possible moment before the teams sale and relocation were announced.

So people just make this stuff up, right? Bettman said in May 2011, days before the team moved to Winnipeg. Wheres the accountability from all the people who a month ago were saying that Phoenix was definitely going? Whatever is being written (about Atlanta) is being made up.

Theres no question that the NHL did a superior job getting the Atlanta ownership resolved without media attention," former Ottawa Senators chief executive Roy Mlakar said. "That is part of Gary and (deputy commissioner Bill) Dalys M.O. They dont feel they have to discuss business philosophies and planning with the media. They dont like to share their strategies.

There is no doubt in my mind they have been making plans at least since Moyes put them into bankruptcy. So far Glendale has played along with their extortion racket so there was no need to put any plans into motion, that appears to have changed.

They will either play one more season in Glendale through court order, orthey will move to the old arena in Phoenix for now while they work out a longer term solution. Frankly, a move back to Phoenix would benefit them greatly. As nice as the facility in Glendale is, it is built in the wrong place.

The city of Glendale is going to lose this badly. If I had a business in the complex around the arena, I'd be organizing a class action lawsuit against the city as well. You sign a lease for your business and then the city pulls the rug out from under the only thing that is attracting consumers to your area? I'd be pretty pissed!

Like I said earlier, the only folks benefiting from this mess, LAWYERS. What a fiasco. The C of G, has been promised the moon, since this building was built. Great job Bettman, Daly and the NHL.

Archived