The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Deal with the Devil for Defence

Everyone knows it by now, we need to bolster our blueline. Looking over the New Jersey, we have Draft Day trade history with them, and they've just brought in Shero who is a trading fiend and will definately make some big moves leading up to the draft.

The Devils have a plethora of solid young defenders including Gelinas, Severson and Larsson, with a few more guys coming up in the ranks. Meanwhile up front they are very thin, with their lead scorer Henrique only scoring 43 points. Camalleri, Elias, Gomez and Ryder are their main forwards who are all getting older and slower. That team needs some youth up front, some more size and speed, and you bet Shero knows it.

TO VAN: Adam Larsson + 3rd round pick

TO NJD: Luca Sbisa + Linden Vey + Jensen + 5th round pick

New Jersey get a minutes replacement on defence in Sbisa, and they get some good young forwards coming in with Vey and Jensen which is what they need. The Canucks can afford to throw away Vey and Jensen because of their stacked wing position. We need to make our defence the strong point now.

Larsson has been New Jersey's top defenceman lately which is why we need to offer a fair bit, and his game is better than the stats show. More importantly, he's a smooth skating, Edler-type puck mover with a big frame who can log heavy minutes, and is only 22. We desperately need a left sided defenceman to replace Hamhuis in a year or two and Larsson can be that guy. Pair him with Corrado, Clendening or Tanev and we've got a pretty neat top-4 all of a sudden.

The next step would be to trade Bieksa to a contender for a pick (2nd or 3rd if we're lucky) and draft a defenceman like Chabot, Kylington, Roy or Carlsson at #23, but this trade with NJD sets up our new defence nicely. Ideally with Lack, Bieksa and Higgins traded for picks/prospects we may be able to afford a Green or Franson while Clendening and Corrado fill out:

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Franson/Green

Larsson - Corrado/Clendening

Future defence:

Larsson - Tanev

Edler - Corrado

Chabot - Clendening

I like the target team, the target player. Both are well founded and realistic. Don't think you have enough value in it for them. Not anymore. I proposed a near identical trade last summer.

Larsson played pretty well this year, stole a lot of time back from Gelinas and I believe brought his value back much closer to that when he was drafted in a premium position.

So I am agreeing with Nuzabroad; the deal is probably tilted to heavily our way.

Might get you Gelinas?

How about Sbisa + Baertschi for Larsson then?

I know Baertschi has been amazing in Utica and put up some pretty points with the Canucks, but we're stacked at wing and need to do something about the imbalance between wingers and defencemen. I'd rather have Larsson on our defence and Jensen or Vey picking up some offensive slack that be stacked up front and have Sbisa as our 2nd best lefty.

I know Baertschi has been amazing in Utica and put up some pretty points with the Canucks, but we're stacked at wing and need to do something about the imbalance between wingers and defencemen. I'd rather have Larsson on our defence and Jensen or Vey picking up some offensive slack that be stacked up front and have Sbisa as our 2nd best lefty.

I don't see Benning trading Baertschi when we just acquired him this past Trade Deadline. It may send the wrong message to UFAs this year and the upcoming years.

Done deal. It gives them a center/rw they need. It gives them a large RW they need. It gives them a minute eating D man under moderate contract They need.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat. It MAY look in our favour or a quantity for quality deal, but Larsson has not exactly proven he is quality since he was drafted and was passed on the depth charts for most of last year by Severson.

I'd do this deal today

Done deal. It gives them a center/rw they need. It gives them a large RW they need. It gives them a minute eating D man under moderate contract They need.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat. It MAY look in our favour or a quantity for quality deal, but Larsson has not exactly proven he is quality since he was drafted and was passed on the depth charts for most of last year by Severson.

I'd do this deal today

This, I think some of you guys haven't noticed Larsson is not doing as well in New Jersey and there was talk of him not returning and going to the SHL at one point. Fair value for both sides.

I dont think id be willing to include Baertschi in any trade. The kid has superstar potential. Any of our top 5 prospects id say are untouchable.

Horvat

Baertschi

Virtanen

McCann

Shinkaruk

And maybe Demko

Young players id be willing to trade are

Cassels

Gaunce

Grenier

Weber

Corrado

Clendenning

Subban

Tryamkin

Pedan

Vey

Hutton

This, I think some of you guys haven't noticed Larsson is not doing as well in New Jersey and there was talk of him not returning and going to the SHL at one point. Fair value for both sides.

That was under DeBoer. Under the new coaching staff, Larsson has gotten more icetime and responsibility and he has thrived. The time to trade for Larsson was last season. Right now he sits at the top of the depth chart and is unlikely to be moved. I can see guys like Gelinas and Merill being moved but not Larsson nor Serverson.

I was thinking it wold take more for Larsson. Bonino+? Kassian++?

IIRC doesn't Larsson shoot right?

Yup. He'd immediately be paired on Edler's right side since he brings more than Tanev (or at least I'd hope he would be), then Tanev could be moved back with Hamhuis. Once Hamhuis is gone then maybe we see someone like Hutton, Tryamkin or Pedan step into that role, or maybe even Corrado who's comfortable on his off-side.

I'd do this deal today

I would too, but NJ would want something better for Larsson I think. Larsson did have roughly two years of rough sledding, particularly with some back issues, but this season he rebounded. I don't know that he gets to his projected ceiling, but the time to get him for cheap was last year or slightly earlier.

That was under DeBoer. Under the new coaching staff, Larsson has gotten more icetime and responsibility and he has thrived. The time to trade for Larsson was last season. Right now he sits at the top of the depth chart and is unlikely to be moved. I can see guys like Gelinas and Merill being moved but not Larsson nor Serverson.

My thoughts exactly.

TO VAN: Adam Larsson + 3rd round pick

TO NJD: Luca Sbisa + Linden Vey + Jensen + 5th round pick

Several posters have mentioned that they would do this deal, and I can't imagine that there is anybody that wouldn't do this deal from the Canucks side, nor that there is anybody that would from the Devils' side.

Vancouver gets a 22 year old who this season was the top scorer among Devils' defencemen (both overall and per 60 minutes played), tied for 3rd on the team in +/-, has good size, was a regular on the penalty kill, averaged about 21 minutes a game and was 4th among NJ d-men in both FF%Rel and CF%Rel. Vancouver also gets a 3rd round pick.

New Jersey, giving up a solid part of their defence crew, gets in exchange a prospect about the same age as Larsson but who had a terrible year in the AHL and has to rebound just to avoid becoming a bust, a depth forward, a 5th round pick and Luca Sbisa. The value of Sbisa has been much debated on CDC with some of those that think his contract is a horrible overpayment mentioning that he doesn't need a ntc-his overpayment in his contract pretty much acts as a ntc. Others think he has some value. I'm in the former group, believing that the amount on his contract is so much that except for teams near the cap floor there's no advantage in trading for him.

Those who consider the Sbisa contract reasonable should still consider this overpayment on the Devils' part. Those of us who were shocked at the Sbisa extension would consider that the proposal has the Devils virtually giving Larsson away.

As some others have mentioned, Larsson's value would have been less a year ago. Vey and more especially Jensen imo were worth more a year ago. Ten months ago this might have looked good from a Jersey perspective, but that was then.

think for Adam Larsson the deal would likely start with Kassian + Higgins / Hansen and some sort of pick to round it out.

Id do something along those lines and then would trade Tanev+ package to Carolina // CBJ to move up the 5th or 8th (probably too expensive and likely not happening).

Edler -- Larsson

Hamhuis -- Corrado

Sbisa -- Bieksa // Clendenning

It's all been said, but yeah this proposal wouldn't cut it. Good rule of thumb to judge young d-men by is the 300 game mark, by that point you're likely to get what you're seeing. Hedman is a good example of this, with a lot of people labeling him a bust through the first 200-or-so games of his career (which is where Larsson currently sits, 192). Larsson's definitely on the upswing now and his value's a lot higher than it was a year ago, but even a year ago I don't know if NJ would've shipped him for this as it would've been a little premature to give up on him.

Archived