The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

4 hours ago, Derp... said:

Why are you doing this, seriously? I don't understand what you are arguing. Do you think Konecny is clearly better than Boeser in every way. Do you just want to be right? What are your motivations in this discussion?

Meh, just like he and his buddies trolling the Virtanen thread with Ehlers and Nylander (except he trolls every thread).  Regardless who we pick this year they'll do the same thing.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WTG said:

Konecny NHLe 44
Boeser NHLe 39

In terms of NHLe goals
Konecny 13
Boeser 23

You use NHLe to judge players across leagues. So really Konecny and Boeser are pretty equal in terms of points but Boeser is scoring at a much higher rate in a much better league.

The NCHC is the best amateur division/league in the world. So to be the best goalscorer in the NCHC is a very very big accomplishment. 

Who the heck is this Konecny, and why is he being compared to a future Rocket Richard, and Conn Smythe winner - Brock Boeser?

• Upvote 3

In his heart Chilli knows hes being a Troll. Not saying Konecny wont be good but you'd be insane to think we don't have a very very promising prospect in Boeser. Its an apple and orange argument as someone said. Konecny could be a very good all around player but Boeser is and probably always will be the better pure scorer which obviously our team truly needs. Chilli just enjoys getting a rise out of us. 

• Upvote 4

I'm not going to say which player is going to turn out to be the better player, because I think both guys will be impactful players in the league. But it's debatable on which league is more competitive, collegiate or the CHL. If you ask me, I would say the CHL is much more competitive than the NCAA hockey. The CHL is the best pathway to make it into the NHL. It's strictly hockey orientated 24/7. Everybody and everyone's goal is to make it into the NHL, when your playing in the CHL. Whereas, in the collegiate level, most NCAA hockey players, are focusing on their academics, getting their education, and graduating college than making it into the NHL. Playing hockey for them is more of a leisure pastime more than anything. 

Teenagers who pick the college route, don't pick it for its competitiveness, but rather choosing it because it's a fallback plan, in case if they aren't good enough to make hockey their living.

Yes, NCAA players are older, stronger, and more mature, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more competitive.

Edited by shiznak

Dreger on TSN1040: "Boeser and Demko are definitely two of the top 20 prospects outside of the NHL right now".

Nice to see some public recognition of our prospects and the Scouting prowess of Benning's regime coming to fruition.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'd put Boeser and Demko in the top 10 right now. Both will be stars in this league. JB can screw up the next 3 drafts for all I care, if Boeser is the next Hull and Demko the next Brodeur then JB will be a GOD in Vancouver. For all of his faults no one can say JB doesn't know scouting.  Boeser as a late first and Demko in the second?  If there is one thing JB knows well he knows player evaluation. 

Well, at least in that regards he's got some wins. He needs to surround himself with some better hockey people. Scouting may be him and Weisbrod's forte, but they need someone who is a better pro scout.

But we'll see what happens with Demko and Boeser. They're no slam dunks, anything can happen with their development now and whenever they make the Canucks. Let's hope they continue to move in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'd put Boeser and Demko in the top 10 right now. Both will be stars in this league. JB can screw up the next 3 drafts for all I care, if Boeser is the next Hull and Demko the next Brodeur then JB will be a GOD in Vancouver. For all of his faults no one can say JB doesn't know scouting.  Boeser as a late first and Demko in the second?  If there is one thing JB knows well he knows player evaluation. 

I'm not trying to be negative here but Benning got very lucky with the Demko pick as Calgary made the crazy pick taking McDonald the goalie from the Q. Who may or may not be good but doesn't seem to be in the same league as Demko. For all the good Calgary have done at the deadline today I really hope that pick comes back to haunt them for the next twenty years or so

28 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I'm not trying to be negative here but Benning got very lucky with the Demko pick as Calgary made the crazy pick taking McDonald the goalie from the Q. Who may or may not be good but doesn't seem to be in the same league as Demko. For all the good Calgary have done at the deadline today I really hope that pick comes back to haunt them for the next twenty years or so

Same here. I hope it's just like the Trevor Kidd/ Martin Broudeur screw up the Lames made 20 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

I guess you can give Benning some credit for the Boeser pick, as there were a few other guys he could have taken there. Demko was kind of a no brainer, any of us could have scouted the top ranked goalie in the second round. 

Given the "fan" draft, we would have gone with Konecny first, then the second choice was Juulsen. 

Both Boeser and Konecny look good. Juulsen's numbers have dropped like a rock.

It is pointless comparing prospects until their 1st or 2nd year of pro, especially when they play in different leagues. 

Good example is Gaunce and Samuelsson. Samuelsson looked like he would have been the no-brainer pick until this year. Now Gaunce is blowing him out of the water. 

• Upvote 1

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3959414-und-mens-hockey-early-uncertainty-thing-past-fighting-hawks

"Some rookies have had their growing pains, but for the most part, they’ve adapted fine, too. Brock Boeser will likely win the league’s rookie of the year award and is one week away from winning the NCHC scoring title, too."

some more praise for Boeser

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I guess you can give Benning some credit for the Boeser pick, as there were a few other guys he could have taken there. Demko was kind of a no brainer, any of us could have scouted the top ranked goalie in the second round. 

Given the "fan" draft, we would have gone with Konecny first, then the second choice was Juulsen. 

Both Boeser and Konecny look good. Juulsen's numbers have dropped like a rock.

It is pointless comparing prospects until their 1st or 2nd year of pro, especially when they play in different leagues. 

Good example is Gaunce and Samuelsson. Samuelsson looked like he would have been the no-brainer pick until this year. Now Gaunce is blowing him out of the water. 

Some shinning examples you chose!

Rodin comes to mind as well, I am usually patient with prospects, but I had written him off same as most people around here...now it looks like he may be in our top 9 next year.

I'm hoping Boesser stays in college one more year just to give the guys we have that are ready to go a chance to make it next year.

It should be a shinny new team:

Sedins / Rodin or Sutter

Baer / Horvat / Rodin or Virtanen

Gaunce / Granlund or McCann / Rodin or Virtanen or Etem

Hansen / McCann or Vey / Etem or Dorsett or Burrows

One of the above would have to go if we carry 14 forwards

For D.:

Tanev / Hutton

Hamhuis / Edler

Bart / Larsen

Sbisa / Tryamkin

Biega

Two of the above would have to go if we carry 14 forwards.