The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

45 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I agree, I think even if he's able to produce at the NHL level he'll be required to play a defensively sound game and minimize his risk taking whereas in the AHL he'll have a little more freedom to work on his offensive game without being criticized for every mistake he makes.

exactly

1 minute ago, stawns said:

with Virt, it was about getting him out of Calgary where they could control his development, McCann was more of a surprise.  Personally, I'd start BB in Utica unless he absolutely tears it up in camp and pre-season.  he still has a lot of areas that need work

Totally agree but if he is producing then it's hard to justify a send down 

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Totally agree but if he is producing then it's hard to justify a send down 

If he comes in and rips it up, great, I'm on board.  But, the game is about a lot more than scoring and he's got holes, like all young players, in that aspect.  As Barzal pointed out, sending to Utica would allow him to develop with pressure and the media spotlight.  

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

If he comes in and rips it up, great, I'm on board.  But, the game is about a lot more than scoring and he's got holes, like all young players, in that aspect.  As Barzal pointed out, sending to Utica would allow him to develop with pressure and the media spotlight.  

No I totally agree with you,  but as a basement team if we have a 19 yo guy coming in and putting the puck in the net he will stay regardless of other troubles. May sit on the bench a lot though. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

with Virt, it was about getting him out of Calgary where they could control his development, McCann was more of a surprise.  Personally, I'd start BB in Utica unless he absolutely tears it up in camp and pre-season.  he still has a lot of areas that need work

I agree. As mentioned above however, Boeser is older and his ability to adjust to the NHL will likely be advanced. If he does go to Utica I suspect a quick recall.  

• Thanks 1

I think if he goes down it won't be long before he is back up.  Similar to Troy Stecher.  Because of not having enough scoring they may try to force him in too soon.  Maybe him being 20 and not 18 will help him adjust better

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, stawns said:

By the time it was evident that McCann needed to be sent down, he was playing a relief role higher up in the lineup than he was ever supposed to. Injuries i feel are what kept him in the lineup longer than he should have.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

Herein lies the problem though. I want to stress that I'm not calling you a liar, because for all I know, you could very well be telling the truth, but I cannot take you at your word on something like this without any actual proof. There has never been any evidence that he was calling the shots. While a lot of signs point to it and I believe he probably was, I think it's irresponsible to say so definitively based on "people who know people" statements from strangers on the internet. 

I respect your stance, and I don't expect everyone to believe me, but I'm not going to name contacts on the internet in a forum. The fact of the matter is that it 100% is true, and I know that some people on here will get a sense that I'm telling the unfortunate truth.

I was one that didn't believe it to be true, until I learnt what I learnt. I'm not some troll or young kid who gets a weird kick out of saying these types of things. But again, I understand those who won't believe it until they hear it for themselves because that is my style as well. Let me just say that even some of Aquaman's family members have argued with him to accept the reality. He caved, and I'm glad he finally did.

10 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Demeanor is way different. Reminds me of Bo when he came onto  the scene

For a team that won't be competing next season, having Brock Boeser on the roster isn't a necessity unless you want to fill out those empty lower bowl seats at The Rog. That doesn't sound to me like the most perfect plan for the kid with regards to his development. Since the Canucks won't be participating in the playoffs next season - with or without Boeser - let's see if he can have an impact on Utica's season next year just as he did at North Dakota this year. Seriously, what's wrong with letting the Canucks teenaged prospects develop gradually in the minors rather than throwing them to the wolves as soon as they arrive after signing their first professional contract? One would think that being fooled by Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton (yes, Ben Hutton. Sorry, CDC, but, just as Jordan Subban is knocked and kept in the minors for not being defensively responsible, Hutton needs to be right alongside him for the exact same reason) would be reason enough to proceed with caution regarding Boeser. Would much rather see him have a great camp and be sent to Utica - where he'd have a far greater leadership role and average TOI - than have a great camp, make the team, then struggle to keep his spot at the NHL level. Like another Canucks teenaged prospect I'm thinking of right now and mentioned above. 

Again, if the team likely isn't going to be competitive next year, what could they possibly have to gain from rushing their top teenagers into the NHL?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

For a team that won't be competing next season, having Brock Boeser on the roster isn't a necessity unless you want to fill out those empty lower bowl seats at The Rog. That doesn't sound to me like the most perfect plan for the kid with regards to his development. Since the Canucks won't be participating in the playoffs next season - with or without Boeser - let's see if he can have an impact on Utica's season next year just as he did at North Dakota this year. Seriously, what's wrong with letting the Canucks teenaged prospects develop gradually in the minors rather than throwing them to the wolves as soon as they arrive after signing their first professional contract? One would think that being fooled by Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton (yes, Ben Hutton. Sorry, CDC, but, just as Jordan Subban is knocked and kept in the minors for not being defensively responsible, Hutton needs to be right alongside him for the exact same reason) would be reason enough to proceed with caution regarding Boeser. Would much rather see him have a great camp and be sent to Utica - where he'd have a far greater leadership role and average TOI - than have a great camp, make the team, then struggle to keep his spot at the NHL level. Like another Canucks teenaged prospect I'm thinking of right now and mentioned above. 

Again, if the team likely isn't going to be competitive next year, what could they possibly have to gain from rushing their top teenagers into the NHL?

I 1000% disagree with this. I am sorry

• Thanks 1

On 2017-05-11 at 10:03 PM, R35Godz1lla said:

Half of the posts on this board are redundant.

The truth is if he is ready Ala Stecher or Hutton, then let the kid play and if he falters for a prolonged period then at that point send him down for a bit.

He is also older and far more mature than either Virtanen or McCann where.

This board is so bi-polar it's sad. In one thread its comments about keeping the kids in the AHL, the next it's people combining about why "X" player has not yet been given a chance when they are also only 20-22 and still progressing as players in the AHL.

People need to just accept that every player is different and that no season will be the same as the ones that came prior.

Boeser is probably the best offensive player Vancouver has at their disposal. He's playing.

He's our only hope right now for a top tier forward.

I've said it before... I don't think Brock plays a single AHL game in his career. 

His skating could use work, but that's what the offseason is for.

As everyone has already stated, he'll go to Bo's power-skating school.

We have nobody else with a shoot first mentality. Vrbata was the closest thing; we get to watch a young player like that coming up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I appreciate the desire to have the young guys in as they generate excitement but short term excitement will always loose in the end and negatively impact the player.  that is why the Wings had such long term success.  In some ways physically and mentally (after this season) JV may (I emphasis may) be more ready this coming season.

Also, I don't understand the term troll and find it a bit offensive.  I think some may think I am a troll.  But in fact I am disabled and can't always use a keyboard.  Just because we are anonymous doesn't make it a good thing to make derogatory statements without know who you speak off.  I maybe out of line here and if I am please accept my apology.

Edited by dpn1

9 hours ago, nergish said:

Boeser is probably the best offensive player Vancouver has at their disposal. He's playing.

I've said it before... I don't think Brock plays a single AHL game in his career. 

We have nobody else with a shoot first mentality. Vrbata was the closest thing; we get to watch a young player like that coming up.

Probably not. 

The dude is poised as all hell. From the moment he stepped into our lineup, he was one of our best players.

Honestly, I think the whole idea of letting a high end prospect "marinate" in the farm is overstated. Sure, for someone like Virtanen, who's had to deal with some significant setbacks, it might be the right thing to do, but, assuming Boeser is at least on the same level as he was when he arrived this last season, I simply don't think there's much reason to keep him down.

Worst case scenario is he struggles, at which point the option is still available to send him down, but if he earns a spot, which he likely will, it wouldn't send a very good message to him or to any other young guns we might have coming to keep him out of the lineup.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nergish said:

IMHO the argument for little or no AHL time for Boeser is his age. 3 seasons of top flight college play. 

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Im sure Boeser is on this team straight out of camp.  He scores goals.  Canucks need goals.  He is not a liability.  He's strong on the PP.   Im 100% positive hell look even better come training camp.  

I hope you are right but in the end of the day, like you said, we will find out at prospect camp and main camp.  Can he play the young stars tournament?  He played is regular season games so does that preclude him from playing there and at prospect camp?

10 hours ago, nergish said:

He will?

Is this just a hopeful guess posed as a fact or is there some truth to this?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I appreciate the desire to have the young guys in as they generate excitement but short term excitement will always loose in the end and negatively impact the player.  that is why the Wings had such long term success.  In some ways physically and mentally (after this season) JV may (I emphasis may) be more ready this coming season.

Also, I don't understand the term troll and find it a bit offensive.  I think some may think I am a troll.  But in fact I am disabled and can't always use a keyboard.  Just because we are anonymous doesn't make it a good thing to make derogatory statements without know who you speak off.  I maybe out of line here and if I am please accept my apology.

I haven't read all your posts, but I haven't seen anything 'trollish' in the ones that I have.

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll's amusement." Wikipedia

I find trolls to be offensive and rather limited in their ability to enjoy life.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

You repeatedly used the word "teenager". Brock is not a teenager. He is 20 and very mature for his age. He has already spent years developing his game at the university level, playing against men in their early 20s. Using a "one size fits all" cookie cutter method of developing players is unreasonable.

In Brock's limited time in the NHL he demonstrated NHL level skills and responsibility, and led the team in goal scoring. Forcing him to play in the AHL for one tenth of the money he deserves, even though he is clearly NHL-ready, especially when his family needs the money, is quite likely to alienate him. That is not a smart way to deal with an extremely valuable prospect.

• Upvote 1