The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

He wasn't in my top 3 but not a bad choice. Because the USHL is not a top quality league I will reserve judgement on him until after his first NCAA season that should clarify what type of player he is and how good he is.

I have a feeling Benning's other candidate might have been Konecny due to his character/leadership etc, but opted to pick Boeser due to Konecny's concussion history (might be a reason why Sens didn't pick him).

I'm sure Boeser would've been available at the 29th draft spot, maybe we should've taken the deal that Toronto took from Philadelphia and picked up a second round pick in the process.

I think that would have been the smarter move. Even if Boeser was gone, Merkley would have been a good consolation prize.

I assume Boeser was the last of Benning's 4 and he didn't want to risk losing him. Benning stayed true to his word and picked the best available, or who was highest on his list. I see Virtanen as a top 6 winger and I think Kassian has what it takes to be a top 6 forward as well. This means we could potentially have 3 very good wingers on the right side. Luckily, Boeser won't be ready for a while so we have to time assess things.

He wasn't in my top 3 but not a bad choice. Because the USHL is not a top quality league I will reserve judgement on him until after his first NCAA season that should clarify what type of player he is and how good he is.

USHL has become a respectable league in the past dozen years and is represented by some very good players.

From LucBoudon on HF Boards...

Kyle Okposo, Sam Gagner, Jeff Petry, Max Pacioretty, John Carlson, Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Keith Ballard, Matt Carle, Alex Chiasson, Justin Faulk, John Gibson, Zemgus Girgensons, Alex Goligoski, Matt Greene, Martin Hanzal, Seth Jones, Rostislav Klesla, Dylan Larkin*, J.T. Miller, John Moore, Matt Nieto, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Saad, Jaden Schwartz, Paul Stastny, Mark Stuart, Jared Tinordi, Jacob Trouba, Thomas Vanek, Patrick Wiercoch, Jimmy Hayes, Blake Wheeler

Okposo: 27G 50GP

Gagner: 11G 56GP

Pacioretty: 21G 60GP

Abdelkader: 27G 60GP

Backes: 28G 57 GP

Chiasson: 17G 57GP

Girgensons: 24G 49GP

Hanzal: 4G 19GP

J.T. Miller: 3G 21GP

Nieto: 14G 21GP

Saad: 12G 24GP

Oshie: 3G 11GP

Schwartz: 33G 60GP

Stastny: 30G 56GP

Vanek: 46G 53GP

Hayes: 4G 21GP

Wheeler: 19G 58GP

Boeser is in some very good company. Only Vanek scored more goals, and he is an elite level sniper.

He could very well be our Okposo, who is the player he emulates.

This was a very good pick, people.

• Upvote 2

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/button-boeser-can-score-goals-in-multiple-ways-1.319570

I know people don't like Button much around here, but here is what he has to say about Boeser.

Short version:

- one of the best scorers in this draft

- one of the best scorers in several draft

- compared to Kucherov in terms of the way he score goals

- thinks his scoring will translate to the NHL level

- good defensively

- very competitive

- doesn't take shortcuts, very hard working

...much more but I did not have time to finish it.

Take what you will from this because he sounds like a huge Boeser-fanboy. I love this pick though so I guess I'm a huge fan boy too :P

Edited by Shiftynifty

I love this kid's shot. When he shoots the puck on net he goes opposite side of net from where I thought he would and more importantly where the goalie thinks he would shoot. Shows patience for goalie to move across the net then picks corner. He's gonna be a beaut.

• Upvote 1

I thought the drafting of Boeser is a continuation of what Benning started last year's draft with Virtanen which is players with a blend of size and skill. With the 23rd pick, I had Boeser as my pick too in one of my draft systems so the potential is there for one of our 2015 picks to make it.

It's making sense to me now. Kassian with his back, and Jensen both have question marks. I think JB is making sure long term we have some offence on RW. Time will tell.

Defense is still the biggest need going forward, but RW was an area of weakness as well. Brock and Virtanen give us some good bodies on the right side going forward.

• Upvote 1

It's making sense to me now. Kassian with his back, and Jensen both have question marks. I think JB is making sure long term we have some offence on RW. Time will tell.

I agree. We're good for future top 6 RW's in Jake and Boeser but I still think even if Kass's back doesn't fully heal he'll still become a solid 3rd liner. Jensen I'm still not sure about. Edited by Pears

Canucks TV host Joey Kenward fires an assortment of random questions at Brock Boeser. Everything you will want to know about the newest Canucks first round draft pick in under a minute and a half.

This and other clips you've put up VC makes me think he's a mature, serious, humble and hard-working kid. There's a lot to like about Brock Beoser.

OH my, ... Minnesota was just a brief example of what might happen, lets not talk about Minnesota, he can go become a ufa for any other team then ok? maybe he chooses a team closer to home to stay with his family? have you ever thought of that??? Kid's American. It was pretty clear, Shultz and Reiley didn't want to sign with the teams that drafted them. The loss I guess is not as big, Shultz was a second round pick, Reily was a 3rd round pick, for crying out loud, Boeser is a 1st round pick as for Wheeler, of course I don't want this to happen, but can it happen? no crap it can. so many loopholes drafting these college bound players.

I get what you're saying...but here's the flip side to your point -- more kids that go to college end up signing with the team that drafted 'em. Don't know the exact number, but I'm guessing that for every one that goes UFA, 9 signs with the team they were drafted by. I'll take those odds.

Gonna state the obvious...there's no guarantees in life. A junior A player can decide not to sign with the team that drafted him and re-enter the draft just as easily as college grad going UFA.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Upvote 2

I thought the drafting of Boeser is a continuation of what Benning started last year's draft with Virtanen which is players with a blend of size and skill. With the 23rd pick, I had Boeser as my pick too in one of my draft systems so the potential is there for one of our 2015 picks to make it.

skill and size? he's listed as 6'0 and 190lbs...... that's not size... but I guess when they say size they mean his physical play... i guess... but when he was drafted physical play was listed one of his weakness...

i'm confused as hell, no one knows what kind of player he is....

tsn says he's a physical player.

sportsnet listed his skating and phyiscal play as his weakness.... i don't know wtf.

crappy draft none the matter.