Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guillaume Brisebois | D


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Some fans call for the same development approach that Hutton got. Throw him into the NHL before refining his pro game in the AHL. Hutton appears to have recovered his game to a better place. He has better size and understands his d-zone better. Last year fans wanted Hutton waived since his 'trade value' was non-existant. Brisbois can play his 2nd pro year in Utica and start getting NHL callups. This is the way to develop these kids. Whether he plays NHL or not should not be based on the Canuck NHL standings but on where his game is. Give him 3 - 4 games and send him down to work on what he saw. Call up Chatfield, Sauntner, Joulevi and maybe even McEney and do the same thing. In 2 years we can hope that we will have 2 - 3 NHL d-men out of the group. 

Yip. Exectley how the Wings successfully developed players. Give them a taste and let them find out for themselves what they need to work on. Then go back to the minors and improve. I see that approach with Gaudette and I believe it will pay off. I hope to see this approach with GB and the eventually OJ. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-10-25 at 8:56 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m a big Brisebois fan because he has progresses so much this year, but you are not looking at the same Hutton as last year.  Hutton is much improved this year and is getting bigger minutes as a consequence.  Brisebois has to demonstrate firstly that he is good enough to fill for an injured player, then perhaps be better than someone else on the left side.  If Hutton keeps up his level of play, it is unlikely to be him.

I’m looking at what’s happening within the next 2 years.

It’s hard to say with the likes of Joulevi, Hughes,Rathbone and Mckenney on the same eraser board..  first come first serve sometimes serves better to cash in for the next deal.

just sayin. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I’m looking at what’s happening within the next 2 years.

It’s hard to say with the likes of Joulevi, Hughes,Rathbone and Mckenney on the same eraser board..  first come first serve sometimes serves better to cash in for the next deal.

just sayin. :) 

We could see an absolutely massive turnaround just next year. One would have to think that Juolevi and Hughes will be ready for spots so who will be the "Vets" we keep to mentor them? 

 

Del Zotto will be gone trade or via UFA. Edler could go the same way if we want to keep Hutton. And then you have Pouliot, Sautner, McEneny and Brisebois fighting for spots as well.

 

In my ideal situation we trade Del Zotto, Biega and Pouliot and resign Edler and Hutton for one more year each.

 

Edler-Guddy

Juolevi-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Sautner

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-10-27 at 12:30 PM, RetroCanuck said:

We could see an absolutely massive turnaround just next year. One would have to think that Juolevi and Hughes will be ready for spots so who will be the "Vets" we keep to mentor them? 

 

Del Zotto will be gone trade or via UFA. Edler could go the same way if we want to keep Hutton. And then you have Pouliot, Sautner, McEneny and Brisebois fighting for spots as well.

 

In my ideal situation we trade Del Zotto, Biega and Pouliot and resign Edler and Hutton for one more year each.

 

Edler-Guddy

Juolevi-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Sautner

Trade Tanev, re-sign Edler, play Hughes on the right.

 

Edler, Hughes 

Juolevi, Gudbranson

Hutton, Stecher

 

Some mix of Sautner, Brisebois, Biega etc as spares.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2018-10-27 at 12:30 PM, RetroCanuck said:

We could see an absolutely massive turnaround just next year. One would have to think that Juolevi and Hughes will be ready for spots so who will be the "Vets" we keep to mentor them? 

 

Del Zotto will be gone trade or via UFA. Edler could go the same way if we want to keep Hutton. And then you have Pouliot, Sautner, McEneny and Brisebois fighting for spots as well.

 

In my ideal situation we trade Del Zotto, Biega and Pouliot and resign Edler and Hutton for one more year each.

 

Edler-Guddy

Juolevi-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Sautner

Would definitely be a disappointment if we didn't bring back Edler and Hutton. Our D is way to weak to throw Juolevi and Hughes into this mix without them. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cyoung said:

Would definitely be a disappointment if we didn't bring back Edler and Hutton. Our D is way to weak to throw Juolevi and Hughes into this mix without them. 

Agreed.  Based on Juolevi’s play so far, he has a long way to go defensively - he simply is not very good.  He is nowhere near as developed as Hutton or even Pouliot - unless he shows enormous improvement this year in the AHL, he is unlikely  to make the Canucks next year except as an offensive specialist, and he’ll be hard pressed to surpass Hughes in that regard - and I can’t see the team carrying two offensive specialists.  Juolevi is also going to have to do a lot of work on his skating speed.  But those are solvable issues, if he has the will and the work ethic.

  • Wat 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Agreed.  Based on Juolevi’s play so far, he has a long way to go defensively - he simply is not very good.  He is nowhere near as developed as Hutton or even Pouliot - unless he shows enormous improvement this year in the AHL, he is unlikely  to make the Canucks next year except as an offensive specialist, and he’ll be hard pressed to surpass Hughes in that regard - and I can’t see the team carrying two offensive specialists.  Juolevi is also going to have to do a lot of work on his skating speed.  But those are solvable issues, if he has the will and the work ethic.

Actually Juolevi has played solid this year so far, both ends of the ice. Last year in Finland he had a good showing as well. 

 

He will most likely be up at the end of the year this year or will start the season next year. His skating looks strong, as well as defensive game. Some adjustments to be made but let's keep in mind he has a short off season due to surgery. I'm more optomistic that I have ever been with Juolevi and I loved the pick at the time. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Actually Juolevi has played solid this year so far, both ends of the ice. Last year in Finland he had a good showing as well. 

 

He will most likely be up at the end of the year this year or will start the season next year. His skating looks strong, as well as defensive game. Some adjustments to be made but let's keep in mind he has a short off season due to surgery. I'm more optomistic that I have ever been with Juolevi and I loved the pick at the time. 

We’ll have to agree to differ on his own zone play to this point.  His offensive zone play is promising.  By the end of the season, who knows?  I’d love to see him develop enough to earn some time in Vancouver, but right now a trip to Vancouver might be destructive to his confidence.  I prefer guys to come up when they are on a hot run.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

U

13 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

Do you know what kind of minutes and usage Brisebois was getting? I'd imagine he and McEneny would receive increased roles with everyone injured.

As far as I know the AHL doesn’t collect toi stats, and teams that do don’t seem to publish them.  From my observations, Brisbois is used primarily in a defensive role matching against the other ream’s best lines.  He has occasionally been used on the PP, and from what I have seen, is more than adequate in that role.  Both of his goals this year came from sneaking in from the point on the far side from the play.  He has a decent shot that he tends to get through, is very good moving the puck up  sees the ice well, and is good at all defensive aspects.  He is a decent sized guy who can skate well, I can’t remember seeing him get beat to the outside.  He is not a crushing hitter, but consistently takes the man and controls the attacker’s options.  A lot can change physically through training at his age, so it’s hard to say what effect his training over the summer will have.  He is listed at 6’3” and 190’ , and seems to be a similar build to Hutton, who is now 6’2” and 206, I’m going only by memory, but I think he (Hutton) was only about 190 when he first came up.  Hutton’s training over this past summer has had huge benefits on his play this year.  

 

The big problem with getting bigger though can be its effect on skating and agility.  Is Brisbois a player who can raise his physical strength to an NHL level?  One of the pleasures of watching AHL hockey is seeing who can and who can’t take the next step.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

U

As far as I know the AHL doesn’t collect toi stats, and teams that do don’t seem to publish them.  From my observations, Brisbois is used primarily in a defensive role matching against the other ream’s best lines.  He has occasionally been used on the PP, and from what I have seen, is more than adequate in that role.  Both of his goals this year came from sneaking in from the point on the far side from the play.  He has a decent shot that he tends to get through, is very good moving the puck up  sees the ice well, and is good at all defensive aspects.  He is a decent sized guy who can skate well, I can’t remember seeing him get beat to the outside.  He is not a crushing hitter, but consistently takes the man and controls the attacker’s options.  A lot can change physically through training at his age, so it’s hard to say what effect his training over the summer will have.  He is listed at 6’3” and 190’ , and seems to be a similar build to Hutton, who is now 6’2” and 206, I’m going only by memory, but I think he (Hutton) was only about 190 when he first came up.  Hutton’s training over this past summer has had huge benefits on his play this year.  

 

The big problem with getting bigger though can be its effect on skating and agility.  Is Brisbois a player who can raise his physical strength to an NHL level?  One of the pleasures of watching AHL hockey is seeing who can and who can’t take the next step.

 

One of Brisebois' best attributes is his poise and calmness with the puck. He's the type of player who can always make a good, safe play with the puck. 

 

It sounds like his defensive game has progressed well in the AHL. That's encouraging and bodes very well for the future. Hopefully he can finish off this year playing a similar role effectively and then start to receive offensive opportunities next year. That should mold him into a top pairing AHL defenseman and take him one big step closer to playing in the NHL.

 

He already has good size as it is, I'd just want him to focus on adding muscle, speed and agility more than weight. 

 

Thanks for the write up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

 

One of Brisebois' best attributes is his poise and calmness with the puck. He's the type of player who can always make a good, safe play with the puck. 

 

It sounds like his defensive game has progressed well in the AHL. That's encouraging and bodes very well for the future. Hopefully he can finish off this year playing a similar role effectively and then start to receive offensive opportunities next year. That should mold him into a top pairing AHL defenseman and take him one big step closer to playing in the NHL.

 

He already has good size as it is, I'd just want him to focus on adding muscle, speed and agility more than weight. 

 

Thanks for the write up.

Good point about his poise, I totally missed it.  My pleasure on the write up.  I don’t see him yet as a top pairing defenceman, even in the AHL, unless he is paired with an offensive minded right hand shot - kind of like Edler and Tanev.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Good point about his poise, I totally missed it.  My pleasure on the write up.  I don’t see him yet as a top pairing defenceman, even in the AHL, unless he is paired with an offensive minded right hand shot - kind of like Edler and Tanev.

Funny you say that.....I remember hearing he was like a LH Tanev...…????

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Funny you say that.....I remember hearing he was like a LH Tanev...…????

I think his offensive ceiling is higher...I'd compare him to a B version of hamhuis. Quietly effective, makes impacts at both ends.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I think his offensive ceiling is higher...I'd compare him to a B version of hamhuis. Quietly effective, makes impacts at both ends.

Thing is though that Tanev's own offensive ceiling is higher.  He just doesn't step up often enough not he isn't good enough.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Cull after Brisebois' first star performance in Comets' 5-2 win over Binghamton on Friday:

Quote

“There’s nothing really flashy about Guillaume, but he’s one of those guys who does everything pretty well. He doesn’t excel at one thing. I think he does a lot of things really well. ... When he’s playing with a little authority and little bit of menace, I like his game.”

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Thing is though that Tanev's own offensive ceiling is higher.  He just doesn't step up often enough not he isn't good enough.  

That's the thing though, Brisebois has more confidence with the offensive side of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...