Chatfield

Depth of players under 22 for the future

Juolevi

Tryamkin

Brisebois

Gunnarson

Rathbone

Brassard

While I do agree with BPA, we need to add defencemen with our 1st round pick and 2nd round pick.  We should come out with 2 very strong additions to our pool.

Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson + Lundqvist, Miller, or Addison would be a huge change.

It would be very nice if we could pick up another 1st or 2nd round pick or both. I think JB is an excellent evaluator or talent and trust whomever he picks, but I would like to see him have more cracks at it.  This seems like a very strong draft.

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Top pair potential

Juolevi

Tryamkin

2018 1st

Top 4 potential

Brisebois

Rathbone

Brassard

Chatfield

Decent, but not good enough. Need a couple more elite pieces as not all prospects live up to potential. But you never know if a guy like Brassard or Rathbone will surprise.

On 15/05/2018 at 12:12 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Decent, but not good enough. Need a couple more elite pieces as not all prospects live up to potential. But you never know if a guy like Brassard or Rathbone will surprise.

Rathbone skates like a dream. I'm already pencilling him into the top 2. He is one of the best skaters I have seen at that level. He is an offensive livewire and seems strong at the back. If he develops (and grows) as he should at Harvard I think Jimbo may have uncovered the defensive equivalent of BB. A real gem.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i look at our defense and who might replace them this way

edler...

tanev...

delzotto...juolevi

gudbranson...chatfield

pouliot...brisebois

hutton...sautner

stecher... 

our first round pick might be the heir apparent to edler or tanev, maybe. 

bouchard could be the next edler, while dobson could be tanev with more offensive ability.

hughes and boqvist would give us speed on the backend that would upgrade our breakouts and help our offensive game. 

edler might be resigned but i think finding a replacement for him should be a top priority. 

what they say about bouchards passing, makes me think of paul reinhart. imo, he was the most skilled offensive d-man we've ever had here. 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i look at our defense and who might replace them this way

edler... Juolevi

tanev... Brisebois

delzotto... Chatfield

gudbranson...Gunnarsson

pouliot...McEneny

hutton...sautner

stecher... Rathbone

Perhaps a little further down the road, somewhat according to style of play, if all were to turn out...

• Upvote 1

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎14 at 5:12 PM, RetroCanuck said:

I think next year will tell everyone what we have in Rathbone. Some scouts said he could go first round in his draft if he didn't choose the route he did for his hockey career. Which most Canucks fans should know was to stay close to home for his brother whom has disabilities. Speak huge volumes to the kids character. Watching Dexter this year I think the sky is the limit for this kid, fantastic skater, elite offence from the back end. He will be great, just might take a little time to adjust to college

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sedinery33 said:

I think next year will tell everyone what we have in Rathbone. Some scouts said he could go first round in his draft if he didn't choose the route he did for his hockey career. Which most Canucks fans should know was to stay close to home for his brother whom has disabilities. Speak huge volumes to the kids character. Watching Dexter this year I think the sky is the limit for this kid, fantastic skater, elite offence from the back end. He will be great, just might take a little time to adjust to college

I really like Rathbone too.

As for Brisbois, he doesn't impress me much.  I think he's a bit of a passive player.  I think he lacks urgency in his game.  He is young though, so (maybe?) he can add passion to his play, but I just think it's not in his character.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

As for Brisbois, he doesn't impress me much.  I think he's a bit of a passive player.  I think he lacks urgency in his game.  He is young though, so (maybe?) he can add passion to his play, but I just think it's not in his character.

I think Brisbois is just what you see, maybe a better version of Tanev with time, maybe not. Top 4 D max 5-6 guy for sure, shut down roll

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Rathbone skates like a dream. I'm already pencilling him into the top 2. He is one of the best skaters I have seen at that level. He is an offensive livewire and seems strong at the back. If he develops (and grows) as he should at Harvard I think Jimbo may have uncovered the defensive equivalent of BB. A real gem.

Could Rathbone potentially be, what we think Hughes, Boqvist or Merkley is projected to be?

Could we already have a PP quarterback in the system?

Cause if thats the case, I'm all for Bouchard or Dobson if we go D-men.

Edited by spook007

I like Brisboise,.  As we are all pleasently surprised by Sautners game late last season at the big league level, i think GB is on the same curve of development, potentially with a bit higher ceiling than Sautner,

The strength in all of this is the level of depth that is now being created by JB.  . . There is no need to panic.

Every player will get a fair and full prospective shot, regardless of time developing, and more on merit and ethic.

GB will arrive in due course and show well.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Could Rathbone potentially be, what we think Hughes, Boqvist or Merkley is projected to be?

Spook, the truth is I don't know. The problem (in judging, if not in effect) was he chose to stay back with his school in order to be with his autistic brother, rather than start Harvard last year. That won't hurt his ultimate progress but it did cause him to be picked far further down than he might have been. Smart of Jimbo to ignore this and concentrate on the boys talent and character.

That said, go and watch his skating, lateral movement and speed with the puck, they all look special to me (I'm no scout of course) It was noticeable that as Rathbone was roasting the whole opposition team every time he got the puck the commentator remarked that (she was a home commentator) she didn't want to see No5 (Rathbone)on the puck any more. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Spook, the truth is I don't know. The problem (in judging, if not in effect) was he chose to stay back with his school in order to be with his autistic brother, rather than start Harvard last year. That won't hurt his ultimate progress but it did cause him to be picked far further down than he might have been. Smart of Jimbo to ignore this and concentrate on the boys talent and character.

That said, go and watch his skating, lateral movement and speed with the puck, they all look special to me (I'm no scout of course) It was noticeable that as Rathbone was roasting the whole opposition team every time he got the puck the commentator remarked that (she was a home commentator) she didn't want to see No5 (Rathbone)on the puck any more. :)

Cheers Alf. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Don't want to derail the Brisebois thread further, but a Rathbone - Dobson pairing would be very very fun to watch. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Don't want to derail the Brisebois thread further, but a Rathbone - Dobson pairing would be very very fun to watch. 

To go back to this thread, I think Rathbone would pair nicely with a guy like Brisebois (or Chatfield if Brisebois and Rathbone play on the same side, but that doesn't fit this thread).

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Young Breezy is a Tanev type player. Bieksa famously said he looks like he could play with a smoke dangling from his mouth. He has taken good steps at every stage of his career. If he doesn't make another step next year, the same way he did last year or the year before, then maybe you can say his progression has stalled. He has another 2 full years until we will know if he will have a chance to contribute in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Positionally solid efficient players often look passive.  Tanev is a great example of that and if he gets anywhere near Tanev level than that is amazing value for the pic.  I have no idea how this kid will turn out but we definitely could use some wins on D.  I think Chatfield really represents a lot of the same which is not a bad thing at all.

Rathbone who knows, some enticing skills, obviously very smart and high character kid.  Will be interesting to see how he goes in college.  Our expectations here though will be crazy, if he isn't in running for Hobey Baker as a freshman there will be a lot of hand wringing going on, after all this is CDC where it is D+1 and done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 2018-05-18 at 8:09 AM, DrJockitch said:

Positionally solid efficient players often look passive.  Tanev is a great example of that and if he gets anywhere near Tanev level than that is amazing value for the pic.  I have no idea how this kid will turn out but we definitely could use some wins on D.  I think Chatfield really represents a lot of the same which is not a bad thing at all.

Rathbone who knows, some enticing skills, obviously very smart and high character kid.  Will be interesting to see how he goes in college.  Our expectations here though will be crazy, if he isn't in running for Hobey Baker as a freshman there will be a lot of hand wringing going on, after all this is CDC where it is D+1 and done.

Sorry I cant give you the HAHA symbol and Thanks upvotes!