The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

15 hours ago, Derp... said:

JB said they think Adam can be a 2nd or 3rd line centre in the NHL in a few years. Good to know they are recognizing his scoring ability. Also gave credit to the teams scouts on the pick.

Nice to read that recent prospects update from JB, especially re: Gaudette. That's basically (2/3C) where I see him projecting.

I still try to shy away from saying he's a potential 2C though because I don't want to contribute too much toward setting the expectations too high on these boards, but I definitely see him having that kind of upside.

So basically, outside of this post, I tend to say he's probably a good bet for becoming a decent bottom-six NHL forward, while secretly hoping he might just become that 50-60 point #2 centre who could back up Horvat in the future top-six (with both potentially pushed down a line if we ever manage to acquire an "elite" or possibly "generational" level scoring centre--which is my "pie in the sky" dream for our next few first round picks).

Oh the games I play. ;) 

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice to read that recent prospects update from JB, especially re: Gaudette. That's basically (2/3C) where I see him projecting.

I still try to shy away from saying he's a potential 2C though because I don't want to contribute too much toward setting the expectations too high on these boards, but I definitely see him having that kind of upside.

So basically, outside of this post, I tend to say he's probably a good bet for becoming a decent bottom-six NHL forward, while secretly hoping he might just become that 50-60 point #2 centre who could back up Horvat in the future top-six (with both potentially pushed down a line if we ever manage to acquire an "elite" or possibly "generational" level scoring centre--which is my "pie in the sky" dream for our next few first round picks).

Oh the games I play. ;) 

Gaudette, Lockwood, and Boeser all come from the USDP don't they?  

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaudette, Lockwood, and Boeser all come from the USDP don't they?  

Only Lockwood IIRC.

Although all three played USHL before NCAA (Lockwood with the USDP "Juniors" who play versus other USHL teams).

EDIT: Somewhat related, Gaudette had spoken about watching Boeser for years and that they know each other pretty well and are quite friendly. So those two could become pretty close teammates here whenever they turn pro.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

So Gaudette got snubbed on the Hobey Baker nominations: http://canucksarmy.com/2017/2/8/adam-gaudette-gets-snubbed-in-hobey-baker-nominations

As the article mentions, underclassmen almost never get serious consideration for the actual award (although plenty get nominated regardless). So it's not like Gaudette was ever going to be really in the running to win. But it would have been a nice feather in his cap to get nominated. And there's no question he's deserving (barring some unknown reasoning for his exclusion).

EDIT: Boeser (a fellow sophomore) and Lockwood (a freshman) both received nominations.

And a whole host of lesser players also received nominations.

EDIT2: The article goes on to speculate as to reasons why Gaudette would be left off the list. Given the Hobey criteria, it's possible that Gaudette's academic work is substandard or there have been character/disciplinary issues in his campus life (although there's never been anything suggesting either are the case). Nonetheless, CA is going to reach out to some sources to try to ascertain the reasoning behind this snub. It'll be interesting to see if and what information they can come up with.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

On 2/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Sorry poor wording on my part I meant if he goes back next year then he'll be through 3 years of college. So the debate in his head a year from now is whether to sign or just stick it out for one more year in college and sign wherever he wants. You have a better chance of signing him after 2 years of college as opposed to 3 is essentially what I'm getting at. All the while our minor league team could use him next year as we are pretty shallow in offensive prospects.

Definitely debatable, but thanks for the clarification.

Not sure if already posted but Gaudette has been nominated for the 2017 Walter Brown Award (best American born Div 1 player in New England).

Teammate Aston-Reese (and 21 others) also received a nod.

http://www.uscho.com/2017/02/06/total-of-23-outstanding-and-well-matched-field-of-candidates-nominated-for-65th-walter-brown-award/

http://www.gonu.com/news/2017/2/7/mens-ice-hockey-aston-reese-and-gaudette-nominated-for-walter-brown-award.aspx

Some well-deserved recognition for Gaudette's season. 

Still baffled by the Hobey snub. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoNUmhockey/status/830213881670742016/video/1

another goal for Gaudette. He definitely has some decent skill, I like how he didn't give up on the top corner after the first save 

Kid just continues to get better and better. If he has a good training camp and impresses, he can easily make the big club. Heck, maybe him and Boeser can make magic together. If we sign Aston Reese, that could be our future 1st line right there. Get her done, Benning 

7 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Kid just continues to get better and better. If he has a good training camp and impresses, he can easily make the big club. Heck, maybe him and Boeser can make magic together. If we sign Aston Reese, that could be our future 1st line right there. Get her done, Benning 

I've been searching trying to find the quote. But I remember his coach at Northeastern saying when he came to the team last year he though he might have a chance to make the NHL one day, but this year he started to wonder if he was actually going to need time in the AHL or if he'd be able to make the jump straight to the NHL. I'm still looking for it...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I've been searching trying to find the quote. But I remember his coach at Northeastern saying when he came to the team last year he though he might have a chance to make the NHL one day, but this year he started to wonder if he was actually going to need time in the AHL or if he'd be able to make the jump straight to the NHL. I'm still looking for it...

It would be really nice if him and Boeser sign pro contracts. If they play amazing in training camp and make the team then great, but if not it would be even better to have some actual talent in Utica and some actual talent to call up during injuries. There is seriously zero top 6 talent in Utica

Easily could have and probably should have had 4 points in this game. One backhand ontimer that he missed the open net on, but was being checked at the same time. Some of the passes he made on the PP were unreal. Threading needles. Probably our most skilled forward prospect at the moment at passing. Boeser is good, but he isn't making those soft feathery sauce passes with the same consistency as Gaudette to me.