The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins Future...

PhillipBlunt

The Sedins future  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Sedins are here for life.

With 3 years left on their contracts, they are untradeable. For them to move anywhere it would have to be to a contender, and a contender with $14 million in cap space. That team does not exist.

Maybe if we suck so badly and are so uncompetitive that they retire early from the NHL and go back to Sweden. But that's the only way they are not on this team for the next 3 years.

Does washington have the cap space? (14M)

Might be tight. They're at 20mil available now but need to sign half a dozen players including Holtby. So if they give Kuznetsov a decent deal (3 x 3mil) then at TD 2016 they'd instantly free up 7 mil (Laich and Kuzy)...so they'd have to play the season at 7mil below cap. Not sure if they can sign the 6 players they need for 13 mil...hard to say what Holtby will want now.

I would like to see the Sedins face off against each other... kinda like Bart vs. Lisa in the shootout in the Simpsons. Although if both Sedins hug and the game ends in a tie, they're both losers.

That should be after their last game. A shootout to settle the matter once and for all haha. :)

Would immediately become by far the worst trades in franchise history.

The only deal I would do would be

Daniel Henrik for Ovechkin and first

Or Daniel Henrik for their next 5 first rounders and kuznetsov

1/ Seriously? You're being a tad dramatic son.

2/ This isn't Xbox. Washington will NEVER trade Ovechkin...I can't think of a single feasible NHL trade that would make Washington even consider trading OVI8. And trading for two players in their early 30's for the next 5 first rounders? THAT would be the worst trade in NHL history. The Sedins were 2 and 3 in a draft year that saw Patrik Stefan go first overall, and Taylor Pyatt selected 8th overall (PS/ for reference 1999 is considered by most hockey experts as the worst overall draft in NHL history). So by comparison you somehow feel they are now worth the first O/A from 2004, a guy who has scored almost as many goals as the 2 twins combined, and in 5 less years?

I stated above that I absolutely, unconditionally love the Sedin's...but I'm also realistic. If we could pull off that deal with Washington we would have:

Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brooks Laich, their 2016 1st and 2nd (in a DEEP draft year) and 7.0mil in Cap space...hardly the worst deal in franchise history. And if you don't think that Laich would fit the "new" Canucks personae of quality character leaders, then you don't know Brooks Laich...instant "A" on his sweater in my opinion.

Just when I think you've peaked, you find new ways to leave me speechless.

Ok not Ovechkin. I was just making a point.

Daniel at 7 is same value of ovy at 9.7

Only difference is Ovechkin is 5 years younger. But he's a heavy hitting crash and burn player. He'll last a year or two less than the twins.

Sedins at the very least, absolute least are worth 4 first round picks and then some.

They'd be a good fit in Detroit to win a cup or back to back cups. Arguably this trade could help Detroit build a dynasty with 3 cups in a row before sedins retire

Henrik, Daniel, juice for

Kromwall, larkin, nyquist, 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders.

Only difference is Ovechkin is 5 years younger. But he's a heavy hitting crash and burn player. He'll last a year or two less than the twins.

Sedins at the very least, absolute least are worth 4 first round picks and then some.

They'd be a good fit in Detroit to win a cup or back to back cups. Arguably this trade could help Detroit build a dynasty with 3 cups in a row before sedins retire

Sedins are great and all, but 4 first rounders is a pipe dream

No, no he isn't. Not even close actually. Daniel has 327 goals in 1061 NHL games (.308gpg career). OVI has 475 goals in just 760 games (.625gpg career)...double the goals per game of Daniel for only 2.7 mil extra...no comparison. But since we're not talking the past career so much and looking ahead:

last 3 seasons Daniel has scored 48 goals (decline), OVI scored more than that last year alone (136 in the last 3 seasons - peaking steadily). Please stop comparing Daniel, Henrik or anyone currently wearing a Nucks uniform to OVI8, it just isn't there. We'd have to send Hank, Daniel and OUR next 5 1st rounders to even get Washington to answer the phone on trading OVI...so are we done this debate now?

I think the Sedins are of Linden caliber, when it comes to what they've done for this franchise and for the community. I don't think there are many players in any sport that have absorbed themselves into a team and in charitable organizations surrounding the city the way they have. Like Trevor, they have become heroes to so many in the city, and indeed, the province and have earned, or should've earned the respect of every citizen in BC as well as the right to do what they want to do with the last years of their careers.

Whether it be to stay in a Vancouver uniform (which is my prefference) or to go to another team to try win a cup, their decision should be respected.

No matter what colors they're wearing, they will always be Canucks and I, for one, would cheer for any team they re on in the playoffs (provided it's not against us, of course).

P.S. It would be cool to see them get a thousand points in Canuck colors.

Wat. This isn't NHL15. They won't be worth that much at all.

The Sedins are nearing the twilight of their career, however, as proven by last season's resurgence, are still competent and infinitely talented players who possess hockey IQ and skill that few do in the league.

That being said, I wonder how they must view the present state of the club they have played their entire careers (up to this point) for. The Vancouver Canucks are no longer a legitimate contender and possibly won't be for another 3-5 years. This puts both Henrik and Daniel at 38 years old, when contention is possible.

They will be older, and due to the style of play (which isn't overtly physical) be that much more worn down by aggressive players who take advantage of their non confrontational style of play.

If they stay with the Canucks, is that them effectively admitting that a Cup is out of their reach, and not really a motivating factor in their plans anymore?

They have both received accolades in the form of NHL awards, and respect from the league (outside of Sequin and Bolland). All that's left really is their names on a Cup. They deserve another crack at it.

I think the Sedins should retire a Cunuck, but if they choose to goto a contender and give the Cunucks a chance to be rewarded with picks and prospects then that would be great as well. They deserve to be the only Cunucks to start their careers and end their career as a cunucks, goto the Hall of Fame with 1100 plus points each as Cunucks. Whatever they want.

you really have no clue i don't even know why you bother posting about trades and player's value

I think the Sedins will return to Sweden at the end of their current contract.

I also think they are the kind of guys that will waive their NMCs at the final trade deadline and let the Canuck management get whatever they can for them (unlike Sundin).

Archived