The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Matt Bartkowski

All these people acting like they've watched Bartkowski play.

I saw his stats on hockeyDB he must be baaaaaaad!!!! :frantic::frantic::frantic:

Guess what, when you have no cap space, these are the signings you get. What did you expect?

Paul Martin, Francois Beauchemin, et al. are a bunch of ageing 'notable' dmen that are got multi-year deals with a big cap hit. This deal is much better.

EDIT: Andrej Sekera can be added to that list. His contract is terrible.

No it isn't. Judging by stats on a single year means you can miss something.

Looking at stats all the way back to junior and never seeing a glimpse of anything significant is certainly a good way to look at a player. Are you suggesting he is going to become an offensive player or suddenly bulk up 30 pounds and hitting folks like a battering ram?

I am assuming you are one of the guys who said to ignore the fact Sbisa had never been a plus player in his entire NHL career (while on excellent teams)... and that he would be our future?

Did I say he was gonna be a punishing hitter or amazing goal scorer? Because claiming that is about as sumb as writing him off before he's had a training camp here.

He's a depth signing in a transition/rebuilding season. Benning even said he was bargain shopping in this FA pool so why are you guys surprised were targeting guys like Bartkowski?

If he doesn't workout here he cost less than $2mil and we cut or losses, or he does workout and we get a solid player for less than $2mil.

Ugh.... awful fit. Brings exactly the same as every other D we have except less of it.

Who will be the most awful D this year... Sbisa or Bartkowski... up in the air.

Plan the parade, except it's a golf parade.

But at that money and term, I can't find myself able to complain. He will replace the grit we lost with Bieksa, while playing a fairly similar style to Juice

Why not give that spot to a young gun? Bart is 27, another mid aged D with no offensive skill set.

Can't see any good reason to sign him. Oh well.

A 1 yr. deal is tolerable. With all the cap we clear next year, we'll be in a position to begin the extreme makeover we need on D. Next year is going to be interesting though, and not necessarily in a very good way.

Besides Hamhuis (who we will likely will re-signed) and Vrbata, no real big salary coming off.

Trading a 34 year old dman and signing a guy who is 27. Are you Benjamin Button? If not, I don't understand how you're not getting this.

What about Clendening? Corrado? How are they going to make the team? Please explain to me how this is a good move? Instead of bringing in young guys that can grow, we bring in mediocrity. How can you possibly be ok with this move? Bruins fans are so excited that he's gone.

Archived