The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Year, Same Outlook

Nigerian

Every year I hear the same ol' song, "GMMG DIDN'T GET CROSBY, WE ARE SCREWED". "GMJB DIDN'T IGINLA BUT GETS A NO NAME VRBATA". What I'm getting at is the Canucks fan base, wether it be on CDC or the real life armchair GM's, lacks true faith in the team. We started last season and many of our "fans" had already jumped ship saying theres no chance we stack up in our division. Look what the boys did last year, but since we didnt take home the cup the season was a waste. Now this offseason I see the same thing, doubt in our team before the season even is close to start! Last year vrbata, miller, horvat, kenins, amongst the new stepped up in a key way. What im saying is wait and watch the new young guns step in and show a repeat of what we did last year. Have some faith in our guys or ggo hop on the Mcjesus and coiler crew bandwagon.

This is definitely a new trend among Canuck fans. Fans calling out the rest of the fan base for things that no one said. Keep up the good work though. Your helping the cause. Maybe after this send some likes to starving kids in Africa?

So angry.

What do you expect though? This is a hockey mad market that has been successful for many years and made their owners lots of money.

Then along comes a new GM and makes some debatable trades, including trading some fan favourites, and all of a sudden the sky is falling.

People are angry, disappointed and scared for the future. It's a natural reaction. Many fans are emotional and since this is the Internet, it's easy to be a keyboard warrior and let those emotions get the better of you.

This is definitely a new trend among Canuck fans. Fans calling out the rest of the fan base for things that no one said. Keep up the god work though. Your helping the cause. Maybe after this send some likes to starving kids in Africa?

You set the old trend of making yourself seem better then the original poster... bravo keep up the good work you fine gentleman!

You set the old trend of making yourself seem better then the original poster... bravo keep up the good work you fine gentleman!

make my self seem better than someone that makes himself seem like they're better than everyone else? Guess I'm at the top of the god chain.

I agree with everything you said OP. But clearly this is the way things are, and they will continue to be. Hopefully whenever we get the cup, that will change the thinking of the people here, and the team and the organization will get the respect they deserve for the work they have done over the years. It's easy to bash someone, but it's harder to stand in their shoes and face similar situations. Unfortunately the armchair GM's seem to think they are better than the professional people appointed to run a professional organization.

But ofcourse, there are 2 sides to a coin. Some agree with Benning and see where he is trying to take the team, and some are angry that their favourite players got traded, and some are just frustrated that nothing has come to fruition and we still don't have a cup.Hopefully this will all change in the new seasons to come with guys like Horvat, Virtanen, Mcann, Boeser, Kenins leading this team, and the fan base to where they have always wanted to be. I guess everyone is tired of seeing the same guys on the ice with no result. But its better to wait and see where JB takes this team since its only his second year as a GM, before he is run ot of this city without having completed the plan he has in mind.

Excited to see some new guys in the lineup next year!!

Go Canucks Go!

So angry.

What do you expect though? This is a hockey mad market that has been successful for many years and made their owners lots of money.

Then along comes a new GM and makes some debatable trades, including trading some fan favourites, and all of a sudden the sky is falling.

People are angry, disappointed and scared for the future. It's a natural reaction. Many fans are emotional and since this is the Internet, it's easy to be a keyboard warrior and let those emotions get the better of you.

- Lack was a lovely goalie, and he has such a lively spirit. But the primary reason I think people liked him was for his sense of humour, and just the charm he had when it came to interacting in a social environment, than his on ice product.the team he got traded to was for the back up position, not as a starter, so that's something. Kassian, I don't know here to begin. He was given a lot of chances but he couldn't convert them to something useful, for whatever reason. Bieksa, I love that dude. He is a true Canuck, but it was high time he got traded. And the returns we got for these guys were fair enough, and they have been subject to speculation,criticism by the media since these moves were made. But the media opinion has clearly affected a lot of fans and attributed to whatever we hear from them on the Internet as well. That's totally fine, each to their own, I guess. :)

This is definitely a new trend among Canuck fans. Fans calling out the rest of the fan base for things that no one said. Keep up the good work though. Your helping the cause. Maybe after this send some likes to starving kids in Africa?

How do I portray myself s any better than anyone else? I watch hockey for the sole purpose of entertainment. I have no problem of the outcome as long i still have a hockey team from my home province.

P.S. On the africa comment, My family supports a whole family out of nepal.

P.S.S PLEASE DEEM ME WORTHY OF U

To me its all about prospective. What do you want from this team entertaining regular seasons with little to no playoff success or do you want to win a Stanley cup? We just went through 15 years of entertaining hockey with one good run to show for it. Do we want to do that for another 15?

For me the answer is no. There hasn't been one team other then Detroit that has won a Cup in the salary cap world that didn't have a core that didn't include high draft picks. Now Detroit which everyone uses as an example. There Cup hopes died when Lindstrom retired they will not win another without doing a rebuild and getting high draft picks either, unless they can fluke out again and get another Lindstrom in the later rounds which is unlikely.

So for me every year after 2013 has been a wasted year that we should have been doing everything we could to acquire draft picks and prospects. You have to be bad in the salary cap world to be good. The way I see it if you want to be competitive over the long haul you have to get high end talent at a cheap price go for broke and hope you win a cup if you miss the window, you need to sell all the assets before they lose value get more draft picks and prospects probably have an off year or two and try again. This is pretty much what the Black hawks have done and look how its working for them.

When Benning and Linden went out and signed Miller and Vrbata last year saying there goal was to just make the playoffs it pissed me off to no end. This group cannot win a Cup and signing players to make you just good enough to make the playoffs is just adding time to when we can win a Cup. Imagine if instead of trying to make the playoffs this year we stayed pat with the players we had and sold off Matthias, Higgens, Beiksa and anyone else they could have convinced to waive there NTC for picks and prospects maybe finished the year in the bottom 6 possibly won the lottery. We would be so much further ahead in our rebuild.

This whole theory they tried to sell us on about a winning environment is the biggest load of crap ever. You are either a hard worker with drive or your not no one can teach you that not at the age you are in the NHL. Horvat proved it in the playoffs all the people except for a select few had no drive at all in the playoffs but Horvat worked his ass off that wasn't put there by his underachieving team mates that was there in the first place.

We need to be like a phoenix burn out (suck for a few years) then rise from the ashes. The longer we try to just hang on the longer it will be before we are great again. Thankfully Benning and Linden seem to see this now and instead of having the playoffs to look forward to we can enjoy watching our new prospects grow and prosper.

That's my prospective, all I want is to see the Canucks win a Cup before I die. Regular season no longer means anything to me. I'm pretty sure that people with my outlook are growing by the day as the years without a Cup just keep getting added on. I loved the old core but there day has passed I can't wait for the next one and hopefully they are the one that will win it all.

Every year I hear the same ol' song, "GMMG DIDN'T GET CROSBY, WE ARE SCREWED". "GMJB DIDN'T IGINLA BUT GETS A NO NAME VRBATA". What I'm getting at is the Canucks fan base, wether it be on CDC or the real life armchair GM's, lacks true faith in the team. We started last season and many of our "fans" had already jumped ship saying theres no chance we stack up in our division. Look what the boys did last year, but since we didnt take home the cup the season was a waste. Now this offseason I see the same thing, doubt in our team before the season even is close to start! Last year vrbata, miller, horvat, kenins, amongst the new stepped up in a key way. What im saying is wait and watch the new young guns step in and show a repeat of what we did last year. Have some faith in our guys or ggo hop on the Mcjesus and coiler crew bandwagon.

I cannot recall seeing anyone make those statements. Most the posters on CDC are reasonable enough that we do not expect to somehow get Crosby (or Toews or whoever) in some trade.

But it is nice to see the team improve -either in the short run by picking up quality veterans like Ehrhoff or Hamhuis or Vrbata, or in the long run by having a good draft. I think a lot of criticism this year is that it is hard to see either short run or long run improvement based on the moves. In the short run the Canucks have certainly lost ground relative to Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, LA, and San Jose. As for the long run, I think Benning did a good job with the picks he had but obviously the Canucks started out in a weak position with only a low first round pick and no second round pick. So it is understandable that fans are disappointed. But it is possible that the Canucks are on a good long run development plan that includes a low finish and a great draft in 2016.

As for the Stanley Cup issue, I have been a fan for a long time. I have seen many losing seasons but I have also seen all three Stanley Cup finals, two President's trophies and many Divisional championships. The one thing I really want to see before global warming eliminates ice hockey altogether is a Stanley Cup victory for the Canucks.

And I think a lot of fans are in a similar position. For fans like that a strategy of being consistently "pretty good", "middle of the pack", "contending for a playoff spot" is disappointing. I would really like to see a feasible trajectory that makes it possible to contend for a Stanley Cup in the foreseeable future.

I am not sure why that is a problem.

To be fair, I think gooseberries has a point. I find the self righteous fans super annoying as well. I guess it brings them joy to put down others.

So angry.

I wouldn't say this is a mad hockey market, it's more of a mad canucks market.

Theres alot of canucks fans in BC, but the amount of hockey fans is significantly lower.

As for OP...

Vancouver and their fan base are regularly bashed on the NHL.com by other fans, especially by other fans. I agree with the post, the fans are a fickle bunch.

Benning is not going to make any sort of splash this summer. Next summer has a bumper crop of free agents (which could include Stamkos, but Toronto will be his likely destination if he leaves) and we have assets that could be turned into picks (Vrbata and Hamhuis to name two) so patience is going to be required.

When you really look at it, that is the best strategy given our teams core cycle's end is fast approaching.

Archived