The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 Post Sutter Trade

tybarber

I still don't think Benning is done making moves. I like the fact that Benning traded a player he brought in Bonino. Benning will keep shuffling things until he reaches his goal.

Sutter is a smart player. As mentioned Vancouver now has a Sutter.

Speaking of PIT seeing something in Clendening....What does this do to Derrick Pouliot? Had a super high ceiling. Wasnt good but wasnt terrible in his time in the NHL last season (34GP, 2G, 5A, -11). If his value continues to drop and we gained favor with PIT by adding Clendening and the low 2nd are we possibly kicking tires on that trade down the road with PIT

Whether you like or hate the trade, there's no denying JB is committed to building a team with a particular culture, direction, and style. Clearly he is looking to create a team of speed, physicality, character and an emphasis on two way play, while filling some holes with guys who bring a more skilled aspect to the game (Sven, Vey, etc.)

I tend to remember all of CDC complaining during our competitive era a few years back that we lacked the toughness and grit to compete in a 7 game series, so I find it funny that CDC is now complaining that we have too much grit and not enough skill. I guess this board wouldn't get any traffic if everyone agreed with each other all the time, so I respect those who have issues with JB and the direction of this team. However I personally think that while we may have been on the wrong end of value with our trades, we are at least creating a roster with an identity.

I literally said just about this exact thing to my old man over lunch after hearing of this trade. Taking the entirety of the moves Benning has made (some good, some bad, depending on your perspective), he wanted meat and potatoes and that is exactly what this lineup is evolving into.

I liked Bonino but he was frustrating to watch at times, and had high hopes for Clendenning as well. I do however like the game Sutter plays and the size he brings. FWIW, there's no doubt we are a tougher meaner team to play against.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat/Sutter Vrbata

Higgins Sutter/Vey Hansen

Dorsett Vey/Sutter Prust

Kenins

Speed, defensive responsibility, some good offensive pieces, toughness, checking ability... What's not to like? I'm not entirely sure of why there's a lot of upset people out there with this forward lineup... It's not as if we're contending this year or next year, so why not put up a fight in the meantime against our competitors as we develop within?

Canucks fan today: *undervalues Sutter*

Canucks fan next off-season: *overvalues Sutter in trade rumour thread*

Yup, to some, our players are trash, until the moment they get traded, then they're awesome.

I still don't think Benning is done making moves. I like the fact that Benning traded a player he brought in Bonino. Benning will keep shuffling things until he reaches his goal.

Sutter is a smart player. As mentioned Vancouver now has a Sutter.

B-b-b-but Benning is too proud to move guys he brought in! That's why we had to sacrifice Lack!

:bigblush:

I should have clarified, using the word "wash" was my own word to summarize, and not Bennings. But Benning said how the picks will likely be within a few spots of a each other and a lot of times a guy you are targeting in the second round, can be picked up in the early third round, I'm assuming like the Briesbois (sp?) situation, and they are essentially the same. But, if they are essentially the same, why trade it?

I think Benning says foundational because he covets guys with character, and who work hard. Sutter fits that mold.

Thanks for the clarification about "wash". However, I agree that if the draft picks are essentially the same there would be no reason to include them. Obviously Pitt feels they gained something. The picks might end up being very close, but I think the expected value is about 12 spots, which is something at this point in the draft.

I agree that this move is probably more about character than anything else. Benning obviously believes that the "mentality" of the team is crucially important. He wants guys who play a high intensity game and who always work hard. He will trade off those things for skill and size and is willing to pay a lot for them in cap space. Between the guys he has added and the holdovers from the Gillis era who he likes we have Prust, Dorsett, Pedan, Virtanen, Kenins, Horvat, Cassels, McCann, Hansen, Sbisa, and Grenier -- all very much "blue collar" players. And Boesser looks similar. And the team is trying to turn Gaunce into that kind of player as well and they are even trying to re-invent Vey to be closer to that style.

But they will still need skill to replace the Sedins and Vrbata I don't see where that is coming from yet. Baertschi is a good skill prospect, the jury is out on Shinkaruk and I do not see other likely top 6 players being close yet.

As a guy who bought Game Centre mostly just to watch Pens, Caps, and Islanders games, I can tell you Sutter will win you over. He's a heart and soul guy we're missing with Bieksa gone.

There wasn't many games where he didn't bring it. Can play 2 or 3C duties; spent time on Malkin's wing when the Pens go to a 2 line game. He's one of the most dangerous guys in the league, short-handed.

I think he can play a bigger role on a team than just being the guy who's not Crosby or Malkin. Definitely not just a grinder, look up his highlight packs. The way he plays he'll remind you of another number 16.

God our team will just eb so filled with Character as we lose.

With guys like Prust and Sutter their character will be so strogn it will help us when we lose not become negative :bigblush:

just think about how much character we'll have after we add churchyn

As a guy who bought Game Centre mostly just to watch Pens, Caps, and Islanders games, I can tell you Sutter will win you over. He's a heart and soul guy we're missing with Bieksa gone.

There wasn't many games where he didn't bring it. Can play 2 or 3C duties; spent time on Malkin's wing when the Pens go to a 2 line game. He's one of the most dangerous guys in the league, short-handed.

I think he can play a bigger role on a team than just being the guy who's not Crosby or Malkin. Definitely not just a grinder, look up his highlight packs. The way he plays he'll remind you of another number 16.

I think this is something a lot of people are missing. We have a center who has tutored under two of the best centers of this generation finally getting a chance to be a top two center. I like it.

... They now have $2.2 million in cap room, not counting bonus commitments. But they probably want to leave room for bonus commitments as otherwise earned bonuses come off the cap the following year. The big potential bonus is for Horvat and he has a shot at earning it. After subtracting bonuses the Canucks have about 1.2 million in cap room and they want to leave a few hundred thousand to accommodate small moves, like having Virtanen instead of Kenins in the line-up to start the year.

So they have about $1 million they could reasonably give to Baertschi. I expect a deal to be announced fairly soon. And I hope and expect it will be for $1 million or less.

Both generalfanager and hockeyscap are showing Baertschi at 900K.

Generalfanager shows a little under $1.3 million left, with no provision for bonuses so far as I can see. That is for 22 players, including 13 forwards, 7 d-men and 2 goalies.

Hockeyscap is currently showing a little over 2.2 mill remaining, but some adjustments need to be made for their figures. They are showing a roster size of only 21 players, so adjusting their figures to add Baertschi (900K less space), delete the 3rd goalie Richard Bachman (giving 575K more space) and adding Corrado as a 6th d-man (632K less space) would leave the Canucks, according to hockeyscap, about $1.3 million left. They also show current bonuses at $850K but haven't set them against the cap for next season.

Without the bonuses, that leaves the Canucks about $1.3 million for one player to bring the roster to 23 players (though it is legal to only carry 22.) If that $850K in bonuses has to be included for this season it would only leave about $50K to fill the last spot.

Can anyone save me the time of wading through the CBA provisions and give all of the rules about inclusion of bonuses? Thanks.

I'm glad Benning is honest and isn't afraid to make change. Putting his money where his mouth is. I for one am thrilled he's out with the old and in with the new because I've witnessed a team for 3 seasons now that plays heartless hockey when it matter most. Sutter is a versatile guy who will be able to anchor the 2nd line for most of this year and allow Horvat develop into the 2nd line center. After that, Sutter will be a very good 3rd line center for years to come. Bones has the skill and talent to be a 2nd line center but his lack of foot speed, inability to win draws, zero physical edge, and offensive consistency issues will prevent that from happening. These are exciting times in Canuck land and we should all be thrilled to see much needed change. It takes time so be patient.

Archived